This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF DOC?

Y'know, doc, when you gave me a scrip to get a CAT scan, if would have been NICE if you'd bothered to tell me that an iodine injection was part of the test, so I could have prepared by drinking enough water the day before so they could get into MY TINY LITTLE VEINS. But, hey, no worries, it only took FOUR TRIES.

And it would have been even NICER if you'd told me to lay off the metformin before the test, too. I am grateful to the tech who did the scan, who advised me that I have to stop taking metformin for 48 hours after the test, due to possible kidney complications.

So, yeah. Another reason why I keep having to do my own research, find my own docs, and arrange my own therapy.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

[Expletive deleted]

You must be going to the same doctor I am: apparently much too busy to tell his patients anything. Just sits behind a computer screen, tosses you a prescription or three, and dashes off to the next patient. Last time I went in I said I needed a refill of my prescriptions, including the blood pressure one, and he said, "I never authorized that!" (Well, then perhaps you need to have a chat with your two office assistants ...?)

I too am looking for another doctor. Got some phone calls to make tomorrow ...

Good luck, and I hope you find a good doctor soon. They are out there. The doctor I had in Toronto was beyond awesome. Unfortunately, I am now several hours away from her (and that's by train).
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Wow, that's a medical malpractice suit waiting to happen.

Comment

Yeah, and this wasn't even my regular doc! There are only two of 'em at the clinic I go to. And I actually liked this one better than the regular, but this one DID seem to be in an awful rush that day.

I recall a year or two ago when they looked at my blood test results and asked me if I was "taking my thyroid meds."

I said I'm NOT ON THYROID MEDS. But apparently I should have been, and I am now.

I'm limited in where I can go, as I don't drive, and I need to be able to reach the doc by bus and/or subway train. When I needed help for frozen shoulder in 2013-14, I found my own physical therapists and orthopedist.

When my doc wanted me to get an ultrasound recently, I called the place they recommended (which is an excellent hospital) and would have had to wait over two weeks. I was in pain, so I found another imaging place who could get me in the same week.

I know doctors are often overwhelmed these days, and they say there's a shortage of docs here, but come on.

I'll be researching more and asking even more questions from here on.

Comment

Ye gods. That's just scary. People shouldn't have to diagnose themselves!

Good thing they caught your thyroid issue.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Update: They did not find any sign of tumors or other big scary things. I do apparently have some kidney stones, although they said they aren't causing problems right now. No kidding - the pain had mostly subsided.

Other interesting point: They said there is some minimal scarring on my lungs. This is probably due to some really nasty bronchitis I had years ago. Good to know, though. I had already promised myself that if I ever get bronchitis again, I WILL go to the doctor for treatment. This just makes me even more determined to watch out for any breathing issues.
            Last edited by MoonCat; 05-13-2017, 03:08 AM.

Comment

No news really is good news in this case.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                No news really is good news in this case.
                Really!

Also, the doc called today apologizing all over the place for not explaining that an iodine injection would be needed. I do agree that the imaging place should have explained it, too. But the primary doctor is also my primary point of contact, and anyone who prescribes a particular type of test should ALWAYS go over the details with the patient. At the very least, give me a printout of those details.

Comment

When I had a whole ton of massive tests years ago for a migraine study, my parents & I were given a pamphlet explaining the step by step procedures for each test/scan. There was MRIs, CAT scans (I think) & different brain scans with the thingies stuck on my head.

The pamphlets had timelines in them letting us know what had to be done in the lead up, e.g.: no eating n hours before, remove all jewellery, etc. I think there was also something about medication too. It's been over 15 years though, so the memory is a bit fuzzy on the fine details. But I do remember falling asleep in the MRI a couple of times.

Your doc really dropped the ball on these tests. If you need to do any other major tests, keep researching what you need to do prior to them. Clearly your doc can't be trusted to give you full info.
                  A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Working...
                  X