This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer stole 4 cases of beer at work yesterday

One of my co-workers told me yesterday when I got to work around noon that a male customer stole 4 cases of beer from the beer & wine department.

Store personnel were not able to catch him, but one employee took a picture of his license plate.

Police were called after that.

Years ago the store I worked for had a customer grab two 12-packs of beer and run out the door.
    He had not thought his getaway out thoroughly, though: Trying to ride a bicycle while carrying two 12-packs would be difficult under the best of circumstances, but he had no time to try to secure his load.
    Also, riding a bicycle while wearing flip-flops is difficult under ideal conditions.

End result: he actually got away with the beer. The police had his bicycle and the store had his shoes though.

At my current store the thieves rarely rise to a level where they make interesting stories. Had a guy shoplift a 12-pack, the clerk noticed and told the manager, the manager had me check the cameras to get a photo of his face. So I recognized him when he came in later that same day and tried to do it again.
    Unfortunately, locking the door isn't something I can do quickly, and he walked up to the door before I could get it locked. I turned to him and said "Please wait here for the police (I had already dialed 911), and he pushed past me and ran. A customer in the lot who saw this gave chase and managed to 1) recover the beer and 2) get his plate number (he parked behind the store so we never saw his vehicle),

And there was the stoned shoplifter driving a car with a personalized plate. Seemed like a slam-dunk, but then it turned out the car had been stolen.
    But then the officer recognized him from the video, so .... six court appearances later he's been convicted.

Comment

Working...
    X