This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But... It worked on YouTube!!!

It just happened again. A defendant tried to argue his way out of a traffic ticket by using something he saw a guy try on YouTube and filing a rambling motion of sorts he found on some web page that had nothing to do with the facts of the allegations or even the laws that apply to his charges.

It was not pretty, and he was not successful.

Seriously, people. If you think you have stumbled upon some brilliant point that is going to mesmerize and dumbfound a judge or prosecutor simply because someone on a website is preaching the theory, guess again. If those theories held any weight, attorneys would have been arguing and winning with them by now. The judge also has access to those videos and theories as easily as you do. You are not going to get the reaction a surprised judge may have expressed in a video shot several years ago.

Screaming your protest at me or a clerk is not going to intimidate us into dismissing your ticket over the judge either.

Storming out stating you won because you announced the charges were dismissed even though the judge told you your argument failed (seriously happened) only results in a warrant for your arrest.

There are very legitimate defenses you can argue or raise to traffic violations. You can challenge the officer’s testimony, the equipment used, the road conditions, etc. Trying some end run theory and ignoring the charge is not going to end well for you, but it will give us a lot of fuel for laughter later.

(Out of respect for anyone here who might hold to the theory this guy tried to argue, I have not stated what it was or my opinion of its merit.)
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Well...

There was the guy who used physics to get out of a ticket...

http://www.physicscentral.com/buzz/b...35810518469535

Problem is, things like that generally only work once.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Hey, the officer’s perception is a factor in whether the officer actually saw a violation.

That was a legit defense in my book.
      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post

Storming out stating you won because you announced the charges were dismissed even though the judge told you your argument failed (seriously happened) only results in a warrant for your arrest.
        really? Really?
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I guess since the "Dazzle them with Wit," failed, it was time for him to try "Baffle 'em with bullshit" defense.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
            It just happened again. A defendant tried to argue his way out of a traffic ticket by using something he saw a guy try on YouTube and filing a rambling motion of sorts he found on some web page that had nothing to do with the facts of the allegations or even the laws that apply to his charges.
            He wasn't part of the sovereign citizen movement was he? (Or their variants?)

Those guys are fruit loops. There's a judge in Canada who, after having a guy try to use the arguments in a family court case, dedicated nearly 200 pages on the subject (this formed part of the judgement too ). The guy who did try and use it did eventually come back and do things properly.

Comment

Back in the 70s my parents successfully got out of a ticket by demonstrating to the judge that the car in question was physically incapable of performing the maneuver the officer claimed.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

No question about it, that guy was a sovereign citizen. Too bad that he found out that when in court, their silly version of the law doesn't stand up. Oh and if he stormed out before the judge after saying he won, under their way of thinking, he lost anyway.

He was a fool to do that in court. The moment someone starts trying to use the sovereign citizen defense, their name is passed to the FBI and Homeland Security. Sovereign citizens are listed as a domestic terrorist organization

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                  No question about it, that guy was a sovereign citizen. Too bad that he found out that when in court, their silly version of the law doesn't stand up. Oh and if he stormed out before the judge after saying he won, under their way of thinking, he lost anyway.

He was a fool to do that in court. The moment someone starts trying to use the sovereign citizen defense, their name is passed to the FBI and Homeland Security. Sovereign citizens are listed as a domestic terrorist organization
                  Not sure if this happens in Australia (that is, their details getting passed on to ASIO [our homeland security]), but this is the judgement I mentioned earlier. The judge showed a shitload of patience for the guy at least.

Comment

In the absence of a better moniker, I have collectively labelled them as Organized Pseudolegal Commercial Argument litigants...
                    Shots fired. I shall save this for a train journey or similar, it looks like excellent reading!
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      Well...

There was the guy who used physics to get out of a ticket...

http://www.physicscentral.com/buzz/b...35810518469535

Problem is, things like that generally only work once.
                      Actually, the basic strategy there is that the officer was legitimately mistaken about what the officer saw. Basically, what the guy claimed was that due to a car blocking the officer's view of the actual stop sign, what the officer legitimately thought- and almost always would be- was someone blowing through the stop sign was actually someone slamming on the brakes to make the stop, then quickly accelerating. He also proved his car was capable of such deceleration. As such, there was reasonable doubt about what had actually happened, so he beat the ticket. That's perfectly legitimate.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                        Shots fired. I shall save this for a train journey or similar, it looks like excellent reading!
                        Yup. The judge takes great delight in snarking about this and the sheer stupidity of the lengths people will go to in order to avoid arrest/jail. That said, he does save his scorn for the people who perpetuate the myths themselves (that is, those who make money off of the con or similarly stand to benefit in some way from perpetuating said con) and shows quite a bit of patience for the guy the judgement was originally about, noting that if the guy came back and opted to do things correctly, he'd be willing to actually give him a chance. (Which he actually did about five years later)

I should note that the original case was in fact a divorce proceeding, centred over property. Malcolm Roberts (one of our senators here in Australia) tried to pull the same crap a few years ago (sovereign citizen that is) and tried to use it to avoid being booted out of Parliament for various reasons. He failed and the media found it hilarious

Comment

I've just looked up sovereign citizens. How the frilly heck do they expect that to fly? If you live in a country and use its resources then you are subject to its laws and taxes. Period. If you don't want to be subject to them, then you have to find somewhere else to live. What numpties!
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            I've just looked up sovereign citizens. How the frilly heck do they expect that to fly? If you live in a country and use its resources then you are subject to its laws and taxes. Period. If you don't want to be subject to them, then you have to find somewhere else to live. What numpties!
                            I suggest you have a read of the document I linked earlier - it's actually quite a compelling read.

Comment

"Frilly heck" Giggle. I have a new phrase!

And yeah, sovereign citizens are a stupefying wonderment to me that I just do not understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X