This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being let go...

Short version: I found out during a meeting on this past Friday that the school will not be renewing my contract at the end of the school year. There will be another position with additional responsibilities posted within the next 2 weeks that I intend to apply for. It's been a shock; all indications throughout the year pointed to me filling that position at the end of this year.

Long version: over 5 years ago, I was hired in at my current school via a 2-year contract between the district I was working for, and a main school district. That main district would oversee operations of the district I was working for and another via a tech director, where I was covering day to day operations.

Over the years, we made improvements. The non-existent wireless system was replaced to cover the entire district. The server cluster that seemed to go down at any hint of trouble was broken up. Data that never had a proper backup now was being backed up nightly. The phone system was base on a free Linux distribution which occasionally had to be rebooted, sometimes a month, sometimes 2 weeks. The phones were used, bought off of eBay. We replaced those 2 years ago with Cisco equipment through an ISD. When the district consolidated from 3 buildings to 2, I alone took equipment from the closing building to construct a new computer lab.

At the start, the district had old, refurbished computers, some in really bad shape, in the offices and labs, without any portable technology; now, we have Chromebooks in almost every room, and brand new desktops replaced the refurbs in the labs and offices. We now have actual (low-end) CAD/CAM computers and industry-standard software in the CAD/CAM lab instead of 10-year old consumer desktops!

This year, there was a new superintendent hired at both the main district and here. Both superintendents were not happy with the contract, so I was told that at the end of this year it wouldn't be renewed. I was also told that there would be a renegotiation of my contract for the current year!

That was December of last year. When I didn't hear anything further, I went to the superintendent and asked. He told me that he'd be discussing it with the school board at the next meeting. I attended that meeting; it didn't come up. Still, I waited. I was even encouraged when I received an email from the tech director early last week pointing our vendor to me saying that I was going to 'take over technology' for the district. Encouragement increased when the superintendent asked if I could meet with him late Friday.

Instead, at the meeting he informed me first of what I already knew, then that they would be hiring in a tech director for the district that would also cover 2 others. In that case, he explained, my position would no longer be viable and that I would be let go after the current contract expired at the end of the school year.

I was , didn't know what to say. I did tell him I did appreciate working for the district, and that I intended to apply for the new position. Took this past weekend to think about my next moves; I was a mix of and . I know I can't wait for them, I have responsibilities to take care of. Right now, I'm rewriting my resume, which I haven't had to use since I got hired in. I also emailed my references to let them know what was happening and to ask if it was still ok to use them. I gained a new reference with my tech director, who said that he'd be writing a letter of recommendation. I did apply for a position near where I work; I hope they contact me soon, it sounds like it would be a great opportunity for me. There's a couple of others I'm going to apply for after I get my resume in order. Thinking of attending the board meeting tonight just to ask the question that I asked all weekend; why? Did I do something wrong, or not do something? I think about everything this year, and it's actually been the best year. We haven't had any major outages or incidents, so I can't figure out why they're taking this direction with me.

Just to be built up, and let down like that, it's just so...

I’ll be willing to bet it’s a mix of newbroomitis and “well everything looks like it’s running great, why do we even need this guy?”

Good luck!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Sounds to me like it is a budget issue and that the "new guy" is probably younger and willing to work for less. Sucks that they jerked your chain around so much before actually letting you know.

Hope things work out for you.

Comment

I just got a response from one of my applications; they want to do a phone interview Friday after work. Never done that before, but I'll do my research on the company and be as prepared as I can.

It would pay a little more than my current job, and full time with benefits. From their job description, sounds like it would be the same as what I'm doing now.

I hope I have a chance to get it. I think I'd still apply for the Tech Director position at the school, but I could compare and see if it's better before I do.

Comment

Good luck!

It sounds like the school system is creating a tech director position, with the intention of spreading this person thinner and forcing them to do a lot more without the benefit of an equivalent increase in pay. Because if things are running smoothly, surely it's because it isn't that complicated or because it requires a lot of work behind the scenes.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'm betting that the Tech Director job is going to friend who wants to hire his own staff.

Good luck Friday!
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Options are nice to have. Who knows: with this other employment offer, the schools may pony up some extra to keep you.
              Well, we can dream a little, right?

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                It sounds like the school system is creating a tech director position, with the intention of spreading this person thinner and forcing them to do a lot more without the benefit of an equivalent increase in pay.
                Spreading thinner is the big question. At the school where the current tech director is, he has 2 other people working for him there. From the description of the new position at this district, there would be only a tech director working here. What happens when there's problems at multiple districts?

Comment

OK, now something might be going on...

I wasn't able to go to the school board meeting last night, but I did send an email this morning. I described the situation and just wanted the answer to a question: what happened between 'contract renegotiation' and Friday?

The response I received from one of the board members has me - Doesn't know many of the facts, but will be asking questions. During Friday's meeting, the Superintendent said he discussed this decision with the board...

Comment

That really sucked. I hope you've had some good news in the meantime ... *fingers crossed*
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
                      During Friday's meeting, the Superintendent said he discussed this decision with the board...
                      Oh, what he probably meant was that he talked to one of the least knowledgeable board members. One that probably wasn't listening and just dashboard doggied him to make him leave them alone.

I do hope that things work out for you!
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Well, that may have been nothing - the board member that I communicated with told me he missed the last board meeting and needs to catch up.

So, some good news - I went through the phone interview and have been invited for an onsite interview tomorrow!

Bad is that they don't offer health insurance. That might be the deal breaker, my wife and I estimated the cost of my medications and it comes out to @ $900 without insurance. I'm going to talk to my doctor today to see about any alternatives in case I get this job, or worse I'm not working by the end of June.

Comment

Well, the interview went great! They're a software developer, they do hardware as a 'necessary evil' but their main source of income is their software. Pretty laid-back atmosphere, as long as the work gets done there's options to spend downtime to build teamwork.

It'd be level 1 tech, resolving tickets. I think they're really interested in me because, when I told them about my needs for health care, they said that they're hiring 2 people. They could start a person ahead of me and let me work out my current contract, keeping my health insurance for as long as possible. At the end of my contract, they'd bring me in.

I'll be looking further into health care options today, and I put in another application yesterday in case. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Time to wake this thread up...

No success in job hunting, I've gotten a couple of rejections. I'm still waiting on the original job I interviewed for, and I have 3 additional apps sent out.

One is not, however, for the Tech Director position here. There was an incident last Tuesday, where I wanted to speak to the Board about the last 2 years here and my desire to be here to keep improving on the tech we have. This is the email I sent to staff...

I came to a decision on Monday; as an addition to the Agenda, I will be giving a Tech Report and speaking at the meeting, probably during Public Participation. I figure this might be my last time to address the Board.
                            I got support from a few staff soon after. About 10 minutes later, the Superintendent comes in, and starts berating me. How dare you declare you being added to the Agenda without consulting me, I'm 'slightly offended' (his words), we're going to have a tech report during the next meeting (which I wasn't told about), you can speak at the public part but only have 2-3 minutes.

Couldn't get to speak, except after I was too shocked to say anything except to let him know about an update to a project before he left.

Wish that I would have confronted him a bit. I didn't mean any disrespect, the wording on my email could've been better. What I meant is that I wanted to speak since I figured it'd be my last chance. I planned on the public part to speak, but I do know some Board members who could have asked me to wait until the general reporting part of the meeting.

After work, I thought about everything that happened this year, one incident in particular. He called me to his office about allowing one webpage access to staff but not students. A little background; we have a firewall that blocks out the general bad sites from access, that's the part the staff can access. It's then blocked further for student access. There is a way to allow a site through for everyone or just students, or block for everyone or just students.

I was thinking, and I started to reply that I wasn't sure of how to do that yet, send me the website and I'll see what I can do, and he says 'I don't think you know what you're doing' (again, his words). He quickly started to back down from that, but by that point I wasn't paying attention, I was just .

So, after talking to my wife, I decided on not speaking to the Board, and I also withdrew my application. Depending on when/if I get an offer, I'll still work through my contract, and help the new person getting started, but I know that I won't be returning here.

Comment

Working...
                            X