X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First and second day of work.

Luu's Chicken Bowl

Well to be honest I'm not sure if I would call it a job since they haven't given me paperwork yet to sign to be on payroll and no schedule.

First day

I admit I was a extremely nervous since I'm the noob and I'm getting thrown in the shark pool. And I was knocking things over. They have a drive thru but no head set to wear in order to listen for a beep as you worked the cash register at the front (its fairly dead). Instead you have to listen for it at the button board by the window then run to catch it and take their order. Whats worse is the talk button does not respond to my touch unless I push really freakin hard.

One time as I was trying to correct myself at the front register the manager swatted my wrist. Didn't hurt but kinda floored that she did that.

Worked for a little over three hours and went home. No time card or punch in...Document.

Second Day.

Less nervous, more people but didn't knock anything over. And no swat on the wrist. STILL no paperwork. I'm still trying to listen for the drive thru beep but as soon as I go wipe down tables or stop. It beeps...(dammit!)

Go home. Still no schedule, no paperwork, no punch in. She say's she'll call if she needs me...document.

Hey you wanted me to work work here I want to see the damn paperwork or I'll keep documenting.

Seriously alarm bells have been going off since the first day. Keep looking or go report...

Quoth Caffienated_Caramel View Post

Seriously alarm bells have been going off since the first day. Keep looking or go report...

KEEP LOOKING!! Possibly work, while yo ustill ARE looking. I dont see how the paperwork wasnt put through before you actually started. Please keep documenting, maybe even have the manager sign on a paper behind your hours just so that they know youre serious about being paid.

Also, it was harmless but the manager shouldnt be touching you...AT ALL!!

Im getting bad vibes from this place. Be careful.

Comment

I would not have even set foot inside the first day without a signed contract.

Sounds like they want some free labour to me. They keep you hanging for a week or so, then do the "oh terribly sorry, blah blah happened and we cant put you on"

I'd keep looking for something else if it was me

Good Luck!
      "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
      "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
      "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Glad to hear that you're documenting, the number 1 thing everyone will say if you ever have issues with co-workers or managers. It does sound very fishy. Like Amina said, it may have been minor, but technically you could probably get the manager on assault for slapping your wrist. Not saying you should or shouldn't, but she definitely should not be touching you. And no paperwork after they already have you working? Very suspicious. Good luck and keep us updated!

Comment

If they're dissatisfied with your performance, they'll just say they "never hired you in the first place" and "get out of here", and of course no pay at all.

If they're satisfied or even pleased, most likely they'll try to gloss over the no-pay period preceding your documentation. They'll make it VERY hard for you to collect for the work you did. Possibly if you stir up the pot they'll fire you for being a troublemaker.
          Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Chances are they aren't trying to cheat you. Chances are the person who is supposed to set up your paperwork is a lazy idiot who hasn't "gotten around" to doing his/her job.

I agree with everyone that you should document. But in addition to that communicate with them.

First show them the documentation of the hours you've already worked. Just to make sure it agrees with their records. I'm sure I don't have to tell you to keep the originals at home and only show them copies.

At the start of each shift, ask if you have a time card. If the answer is "no," ask who you need to talk to to get one. Then ask them how they are tracking your hours.

Tell them each day when you leave. "OK. I don't have a time card, but I worked from x:xx to x:xx, right?" Write it down and show it to the manager after making that statement.

Ask what day is the end of the pay period and when you can expect your first paycheck. You need to know for budgetary purposes.

Whether you get your time card before the end of the pay period or not:

At the end of the pay period show the manager your documented total number of hours worked without a time card. Ask if you need to fill out a time sheet for those hours or if they've been accounted for otherwise.

All of this communicates in a non-confrontational way that you know you are supposed to be paid and don't doubt for a second that they have any plan to do otherwise. It gives them a chance to do the right thing without first being accused of doing the wrong thing. It also has the side-benefit of lighting a fire under the ass of the person who is dragging his/her feet on getting your paperwork done.

Red flags that would indicate that there is really is malice instead of simple dumbassery:

If they try to tell you that you're not getting paid because you're "in training." In the United States you have to be paid for all hours worked, including training.

If it appears that they haven't kept track of hours worked without a time card. You are a wage earner. By law they have to pay you for all hours worked. How are they supposed to follow the law if they don't KNOW how many hours you worked?

If they won't tell you when to expect your first paycheck or when the end of the pay period is. That shouldn't be hard. I assume payday would be the same for everyone, right?

Good luck. I hope they do the right thing sooner rather than later.
            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I hope you at least filled-out tax paperwork.

But I agree with everyone; this sounds fishy and you need proof that you've been working for them. What if you get hurt on the job?
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

The third day I got a call saying she cut me loose. She also said to bring in the shirt and she'll pay me for the hours I did work. That I did not fall for. I came in but with no shirt. She wont pay me unless she has the shirt back.

Bummed I was fired. A little happy that I'm not working someplace that makes me uncomfortable. And I don't feel the need to put them in my next application as the last place I worked.

Most likely they fired me because I was bugging them for paperwork.

Comment

Working...
                X