This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth barcode View Post
    ..., but there seems to be a "bloat" mentality with developers lately...

... It seems (to me) that once a program gets popular, the powers-that-be get a sudden case of the "Why Not?"s, and start bloating the hell out of what was once a really good package. I've seen it happen to Norton, McAfee, AdAware, AVG, et. al.
    You left the MicroSoft operating systems, and other programs, off that list. I think they qualify for first place in regards to bloat.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

At the risk of this going completely off topic...
      You left the MicroSoft operating systems, and other programs, off that list. I think they qualify for first place in regards to bloat.
      Actually, I feel almost all OS developers have "gone bloat". Windows is the most prominent, but even Macs and Linux (Unity/KDE4/Gnome3 anyone?) are getting into the {bad} habit.
      It used to be that I could resurrect an old computer by simply installing a flavor of Linux on it, due to the small kernel and app size. That's no longer the case. Due to an apparent effort to out-bloat each other, I've had to stop at Fedora 14 on my machines, as they no longer support the minimum requirements of the newer kernel, Gnome3, and "beefier" apps. I haven't, as yet, tried the vaunted XFCE spin of F16 (soon, I hope!), but the distros that support smaller "footprints" are getting fewer and farther between, and even the "Puppy"-style distro isn't exactly useful beyond having a portable Linux image.
      Still, folks like the XFCE, Mint (Cinnamon), and LXDE devs are trying to get back to what makes computing fun...

barcode

Comment

Working...
      X