Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable Active Desktop in Windows XP?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable Active Desktop in Windows XP?

Hello everyone. A friend of mine recently managed to add a YouTube video to his computer's desktop by accident. Now, every time he starts Windows, the video starts up. He found the listing for the video in the Active Desktop menu within Display preferences, but trying to disable it has no effect. I tried leading him through a set of instructions I found on another forum pertaining to disabling Active Desktop through editing the Windows Registry (risky, I know), but changing the binary value of the newly-added "NoActiveDesktop" DWORD to 1 refused to take properly for some reason (unfortunately, I'm not sure in what exact way this was happening; I was trying to help him over the phone). Any idea on what he might've been doing wrong, or what he can do to get rid of the cursed video? Thanks in advance!
    -Adam
    Goofy music!
    Old tech junk!

Find a picture, any picture, in the browser, and select to use that as your background. That'll wipe out the video.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I relayed it to my friend, he tried it, and unfortunately, it didn't work. Guessing there's something in the registry that's borked, but have no idea where I'd start apart from what I found in the link I posted. Any other ideas? Once again, thanks in advance.
      -Adam
      Goofy music!
      Old tech junk!

Comment

anyone tried safemode yet?
        Sometimes when I try a reg change it won't work unless its safemode.
        Another thing; is he an admin group?
        Has anyone tried booting into safemode and THAT Admin user, and change this stuff?
        (backup registry first. If there are issues needing to be reversed, DO NOT MERGE THE REGISTRIES).
        Has he tried a rollback yet?
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Asked a friend...

"display properties--->desktop--->customize desktop--->web---> check stuff and delete"

Comment

Working...
          X