Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both meditation and the ability to focus on something despite distraction are skills that improve with practice. (We can call the ability to focus on something - eg music - despite distraction, 'focussed relaxation'. I'll stick with that term for this post, okay?)

So if you have shots/blood draws coming up, or if you just want the health benefits of meditation/focussed relaxation, or if you just want to be able to do it on demand: practice.

Start in a quiet, 'safe' place. Like your bedroom - for most people, that's the quietest, emotionally safest place they have. Meditate with or without a mantra, concentrate on your breathing, whatever form of meditation suits you. Or listen to a piece of music (ideally one with no lyrics), and whenever your focus drifts away from the music, calmly bring it back.
    Forgive yourself any failures: you're *learning*.

Once you can do this in the bedroom to a 10-minute piece of music (or if you're doing it in silence, until a pleasant alert informs you it's been ten minutes); try in a living space in your house, with distractions around.

I can power-meditate: I've done it in a nightclub (as in, an active one), and in a bowling alley on Saturday night. In both cases, I did it with friends around to guard me against genuine need for me to be alert: I don't recommend going into low-power standby like this alone, if you're not in a safe place.

But once you can do it in your home with your family around making noise and distractions, you'll find you can develop the skill to do a slightly lesser form of this on public transport or in other situations of annoyance: one where you maintain enough awareness to respond to situations which need response, but are otherwise consciously-unaware.

And you'll be able to sink into the deeper level despite situations like blood draws. I go into low-power standby when I'm getting a muscle manipulation done: it's painful, but I have a great deal of trust in my myotherapist (she's aces!), so I just use the pattern on the ceiling fan as a mandala and drift my conscious mind elsewhere.

Be aware that a small percentage of the population may not be able to meditate/focused relax at all, and that different people need different techniques. A - my best friend - has given meditation a damn good try, using a wide variety of techniques. Her brain is screwed up (schizoaffective is her diagnosis), so we've figured that she just has a brain that doesn't do it; and trying to meditate is like a one-armed man trying to hang wallpaper.

I, on the other hand, can do focussed relaxation, and can meditate to a mandala, a mantra, my breathing, a concept, a meditation tape... just about every technique that I've been introduced to. The one type I can't do is moving meditation, it hurts too f-ing much. (Moving meditation is - well, when walkers, joggers and runners get 'into the zone', where you're focussed entirely on your activity and all other thoughts drift away? You're meditating. You can get into that zone gardening, or cleaning, or in most physical activities, too. This does your mind the same sort of good that relaxed meditation does, but it doesn't give your muscles the down-time. OTOH, your muscles get a fine old workout. )
    Last edited by Seshat; 11-24-2012, 05:35 AM.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Distract me. If I watch, I'll be fine during the draw but get dizzy and sick when you take the needle out. If I don't watch, I'll talk myself into a panic attack in my head because I over-analyze with the worst 'what-if-scenario'.

S, Dr. M's nurse (I love these two, they're amazing) always talks to me about mundane stuff. Like, a book she's reading, asks me about my hair growing plans (because I've been growing it out for going on two years now), a movie she's watched, etc. I have to come in four times a year so she's figured out which topics get me chatty and which don't. At first I couldn't talk, so she'd tell me things.

The very first draw she did she talked to me about her vacation in Hawaii. It was a particularly cold and gross day in WA so talking about a sunny vacation was perfect. She told me how clear the water was, how warm the sand, etc. Next thing I knew, she had six vials filled, a band aid on my arm and I was already bending my arm for pressure.

ETA: and ask them where it would be easier to be drawn from. After a few draws, we all learn our bodies and can tell you which one to go for. Like, I have a pretty good vein in crook of my right arm. Only the 'special' ones have screwed up that arm. My left one is deep and prone to rolling. Don't even bother with the back of my hands, you'll miss it every time. I know nurses are fond of that place for surgery but I'm not fond of being a human pin cushion because you're being stubborn. I'll be in pain and angry, you'll be frustrated if you try my hands. I may have to kill you at that point.

My left foot has a nice vein too. I've had an iv put there once. I sleep with my right arm bent under my face. I kept bending my arm and setting off an alarm in my sleep so they moved my catheter to my foot once. Genius!
      Last edited by AnqeiicDemise; 01-04-2013, 09:20 AM.
      "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

I know this is a bump, but ask the person if they want to sit or lie down.

I ended up being provided with both options this morning for a blood draw. Initially I said I'd sit down, but I ended up lying down. I managed to get through it without crying or hyperventilating at all.

Phlebotomy lady also let me lie down afterwards and I just talked nonstop. Worked wonders. (I wasn't too bad, just a bit dizzy)
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Lying down is the ideal for me, as well. But I'm okay with sitting.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Mooncat, I'm with you there. I need a butterfly in the back of the hand or wrist, because my veins also roll and are small. I have had people ARGUE with me, and then stick it in and poke and prod for 10 minutes and then yell at me for crying because I am horribly afraid of needles in the first place and the mental anguish is worst than anything I can imagine.

I have had a couple who have gotten my arm just fine right from the start. I tell them if they think they can get it right away without poking in my arm looking for it, then I don't care, they are right, it hurts less up there, but to expect me to be upset if they spend time digging for it, I HATE needles!!

Comment

Quoth Maria View Post
              The one other thing I have to offer is this - remember that people who are nervous or flat-out afraid, there's usually a darn good reason in there somewhere. For me, I once refused a blood draw because the order was a mistake, the doctor and I had already agreed not to do the test and he forgot to cross it off on the paper. But the nurse insisted in spite of me verbally and physically refusing her, to the point that she broke my arm in the process of doing it.
              Please tell me this nurse was
              1) fired
              2) arrested and jailed and fined for committing assault and battery
              3) lost her license
              because that is just flat-out unacceptable. If a patient says "no" it does NOT matter what it is, you do NOT do it!
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Not to mention using sufficient force on a patient to BREAK HER ARM. That's assault.

Comment

Working...
                X