This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Responding

Ever since I got one of my laptops back from being stolen its been acting odd. Videos will either play the video but no sound and then it rushes to catch up or the opposite will happen...sound and then the video rushes to catch up.

I've also been getting a lot of non-responding stalls on my browsers...namely IE, Firefox, and Safari.

Any ideas?

Have you run malware scans?
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Malware bytes and CCleaner have both been run.

Comment

You don't know what was installed in the way of malware while the laptop was out of your possession. I'd lean toward backing up any data on it, then doing a complete wipe and re-install of the operating system (be sure to get the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer first).
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I can't do a wipe and re-install since I don't have the cd's anymore. Those didn't come back with the laptop.

Comment

OK, one thing that comes to mind, but I need to know this first:

What OS are you using? Is your laptop one of those store-bought gigs?

If so, and IF you're on Windows 7, you should be able to use Recovery Manager from within Windows (the way you access it on your computer may very well be different)

Comment

Vista, Yes from office max.

Comment

Does the laptop show signs of physical damage? Even if it hasn't, the thief may very well have dropped it at some point and caused damage to the hard drive. That would definitely cause programs and videos to stall and lock up at random times. It doesn't take complete drive destruction for this to happen--even with a couple bad or weak sectors on the drive, you could experience periodic hangs until the drive catches up with itself.

I'd recommend downloading and running the trial version of Hard Disk Sentinel. That program will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about your drive, including the amount of time the drive has been used over its lifetime and the estimated life remaining. If there's any program I trust to be accurate in reporting hard disk info, it's this one. Looking at the main window will only be necessary. You should see health and performance percentage and all the status messages you could ever want there.

Comment

Many computers have a hidden partition set aside for just such an emergency. Almost all will have the Windows installer code on a sticker somewhere on the chassis.

If the Recovery Console doesn't help, check the manufacturer's website (not OD's) -- most have a service tag or ID code or serial number on the back that you can use to look up the unit on their tech support site, and *some* even have installer disk images and drivers available for download or as a replacement CD you can order for cash money ($5-20, generally).
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Bob The Random Boy Wonder View Post
                    I'd recommend downloading and running the trial version of Hard Disk Sentinel.
                    Seconded, tho you may want to aggressively prune it back once you've done your initial check. It's extremely thorough, which means a bit intrusive also if you just want to check occasionally. You can configure it to not load with Windows and only do as much as you actually want.
                    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Okay I loaded that program up and it said that my drive is running at 99% health and at 40-45C. I think the temp might be my problem. Feeling around on it I only feel heat coming out of one of my vents, think it could just be a bad cooling fan then?

Comment

Working...
                      X