This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd appearances

First, thanks to all who helped me out with the image/file backup question. I did both, reformatted, things are humming along nicely, since I got Comodo's firewall working. Once my brother returns some software to me (yay, thought I'd lost it), I'm good.

Something odd is happening, though, when I go to my ISP's website (Chilitech.net) and only there. Adobe Reader kicks up briefly, just the splash screen. At the same time I get a message that the website wants to run Windows Media Player. I e-mailed them about it since I know of nothing on there that requires either program. Their response was "Wow, that's odd" and a request for me to call their tech support. I understand that response - it _is_ odd.

I will call them, but my work hours currently prevent me from having free time when they're open. In the meantime, has anyone run into anything like that? Any thoughts? Scans are all clean in Safe Mode.

HP Pavilion, IE7 V. 7.0.5370.11, XP Home SP2, dialup, Comodo firewall and Avast! 4.7 Home A/V. Doesn't happen with Firefox 1.5.

I didn't have it before the reformat, but I can't think of anything related to that that would be responsible for the problem.

for windows media player it could be a embedded sound file.
    as for adobe the only thing that should trigger that is a pdf.

what happends when you try it in firefox?

Comment

Firefox? Tonight, nothing. Last night, it requested an Apple music player. I don't remember the plug-in's name, though. With IE7 it still does the same thing tonight as it's been doing these past few days.

I scanned through the page source, didn't see anything glaringly obvious that would call for Adobe or a music player.

And, of course, made it home about eight minutes past their tech support's close time. I'll be interested to see what they say once I can get to them.

Just hoping it's merely a coincidence, that there's something going on with their site and that it's not my machine.

Comment

Quoth 1756GR2 View Post
        Firefox? Tonight, nothing. Last night, it requested an Apple music player. I don't remember the plug-in's name, though. With IE7 it still does the same thing tonight as it's been doing these past few days.

I scanned through the page source, didn't see anything glaringly obvious that would call for Adobe or a music player.

And, of course, made it home about eight minutes past their tech support's close time. I'll be interested to see what they say once I can get to them.

Just hoping it's merely a coincidence, that there's something going on with their site and that it's not my machine.
        Is there a pop-up ad, or even just an ad box, on the site? It might be calling on the programs somehow. Also, check the file extensions associated with Adobe, you might have something besides .pdf that opens in Adobe by accident.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          Is there a pop-up ad, or even just an ad box, on the site? It might be calling on the programs somehow. Also, check the file extensions associated with Adobe, you might have something besides .pdf that opens in Adobe by accident.
          Nope, no ads that aren't apparently static ads for their services. I checked file extensions but they look good.

I do have tomorrow off, so I'll be able to call them during their work hours. (I work 13-hour shifts, overlapping their open times.) It'll be interesting. I'll post the outcome.

Comment

Working...
          X