This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay email address changing issues

Hello everyone. We're switching from Comcast to Verizon for internet, and as such, I've been changing my email addresses for various forums and such. However, I've hit a snag when it comes to eBay. My email address for both ISPs is the same (except for the last part, of course), and also matches my eBay ID. I figured that the problem would be simple, but when I enter the new Verizon email address, I keep getting the error "Your eBay user id cannot be the same as your email address." It had no problem whatsoever assigning the Comcast address to my account in the first place, so I figure it has to be some sort of policy change which has come about since then (and a seemingly screwy one at that; my eBay user ID has never consisted directly of my email address, like some of them used to). Is there any way to get around this oddball limitation? Thanks in advance.
    -Adam
    Goofy music!
    Old tech junk!

Resolve the issue all the way around by getting a free email address from someone that is NOT an ISP, like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, although, I can't really suggest using Yahell.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Is there a solution that *doesn't* involve changing the email address again? For that matter, why would Ebay block you from using *part* of your address as a username? I've been considering changing my Ebay ID to match the name I use everywhere else, but I chose my gmail address for the same reason...
      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

that is weird.
        i wonder if they changed the rules?

Comment

They did. It was very annoying, as my user name is also the same as my email address (well, the email account name). So I just made a secondary, similar, email since we get more email address slots than we need, and all my ebay email goes there.
          Last edited by AriRashkae; 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Annoying though it may be, there is a very good reason for this.

In order to hack into a computer account, you need to find out 2 things.
            1. User Name
            2. Password

If you use your email address, they already have one half of that combo, making it that much easier to break in.

In this case, I give props to Ebay for doing this.

I know it doesn't solve your problem, other than to pick a different user name. It really is the best option.

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
            X