Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dot on the letter i and j is called a tittle.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    Benicio Del Toro wears a ring with a wooden stone in it, so that when he needs to "knock on wood," he can do so easily.
    The Purpose of "knocking on wood" is to awaken Wood Sprites to grant you wish. When Christian's adopted the practice it was said to be the same as knocking on the true cross, which makes no sense really.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    A group of owls is called a paliament. They are also called wisdoms or studies. Crows come in murders, and a group of ravens is called an unkindness. Which seems...unkind.
    A group of Ferrets is called a business. A group of unicorns is called a blessing. A group of zombies is called a shambling. A group of God is called a Himself. (That being the Judeo-Christian God, not gods as in a pantheon. That always made me giggle. I used to have a graphic with the group names for all animal groups both Mystical, mythical, and real)
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Before he started doing movies, Elvis spent some time performing at the (long-since closed) Pontchartrain Beach amusement park in New Orleans.
      Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
      The Purpose of "knocking on wood" is to awaken Wood Sprites to grant you wish. When Christian's adopted the practice it was said to be the same as knocking on the true cross, which makes no sense really.
      Another (supposed) Christian interpretation is that worms which may be living in the wood are spies for that mean red dude who lives down below, and convey poorly-chosen words to him that people have said (read: their JOB is to give the evil GM ideas) if they say something that is just "begging for trouble" -- knocking startles and confuses the little buggers, so they forget whatever it was that you said.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

In the South Park film, this scene occurs: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IiNYmiM0Nfw (definitely nsfw!!) originally that scene was going to involve cartmans mum engaging in certain acts with animals.

Funnily enough, keeping in with the theme of ass-related jokes in the film, the piano that is played during big gay als song later in the film is labelled "felcher and sons."
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Natural bread starters are mixtures of flour and water that have colonies of yeasts that were started with fruit skins and gathered from the air. Wild yeasts float all around us, especially in watery areas. A starter is basically immortal, as long as it's fed and its environment is maintained. san Francisco sourdough starter has been alive for 150 years.

Starters (or preferments) encourage gluten strength, assist in rising and extend shelf life. Along with the yeasts, different kinds of good bacteria grow, and the acids they produce give bread complex flavor. they are what makes sourdough sour.

There are lots of different kinds of preferments. You can make levain (a natural starter) by soaking raisins in water for a couple of days, and then over a week or so feeding it doses of flour and water. Once the levain has grown, you can start using it, and keep it in your fridge to slow it down. Only problem for the home baker is that you have to feed it every couple of days in the fridge or the yeast will run out of food and die. If you don't bake a lot, this can lead to a bread monster that will take over a small town. To make starter for just one loaf that is super easy, try poolish. Mix eight ounces (by weight) of flour and water with half the yeast from your recipe. Cover and let it hang out in a warm place overnight. Then just add the rest of your ingredients and mix as normal.
          My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

A group of baboons is called a "flange". This was made up for a comedy show called "Not the Nine O'Clock News", somehow made its way into a scientific usage, and is now the official term for it.

Comment

Christina Hendricks, of Mad Men fame, in addition to possessing perhaps the finest natural bosom in Hollywood, can also play the accordion. She is a natural blonde, but began dyeing her hair red after reading Anne of Green Gables as a child... and speaking of, she's from Knoxville, Tennessee.
              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Hippo milk is naturally pink.

Comment

A tie-in novel was written for the game The 7th Guest. It goes into better detail about the lives of Stauf and the guests.

(Picture by me. Because I just got a copy of it today.)
                  Attached Files
                  "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                    Christina Hendricks, of Mad Men fame,
                    And Firefly!

Comment

In the aftermath of the Chernobyl disaster, a new mineral was discovered. Chernoblyite was found in the corium lava(the glassy material formed after a meltdown), and is highly radioactive(up to 10% of it's content is uranium).

Chernobyl is also one of two Level 7 INES(International Nuclear Event Scale) disaster - the other being Fukushima Daiichi.

Three Mile Island, the other (in)famous* nuclear accident, rates a 5 on the scale.

This has been a service of the PBW School of Nuclear Trivia.

*any discussion on my use of these words should be left to fratching or a pm.
                      Frying pans! Who knew, right?

Comment

Urk. You try to think of useless factoids and they all swim out of your head. XP

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        Benicio Del Toro wears a ring with a wooden stone in it, so that when he needs to "knock on wood," he can do so easily.
                        I just tap myself on the head...my surname is Wood.

Quoth paintballworker View Post
                        In the aftermath of the Chernobyl disaster, a new mineral was discovered. Chernoblyite was found in the corium lava(the glassy material formed after a meltdown), and is highly radioactive(up to 10% of it's content is uranium).
                        I have a morbid fascination with radioactive stuff. I remember reading about the 'Elephant's Foot', corium from the Chernobyl meltdown that ended up several stories below the reactor in a massive two-tonne lump that was so radioactive it borked the camera-on-wheels they had to send in to look at it, let alone getting a man in close proximity. I recently saw this photo... and went what are you doing there man?!
                        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I read a book of interviews with Chernobyl survivors. Prolonged radiation sickness has to be the absolute worst way to die.

On a lighter note, Barbie's (the doll's) full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
                          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                            On a lighter note, Barbie's (the doll's) full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
                            Fun fact: in Iran/Saudi Arabia, they've banned the sale of Barbie (no surprises there) because of her indecent clothing and lifestyles. (to them. I can understand this to a point since they seem to have focused on more fashion-conscious Barbie and less "good role model" Barbie)

Instead, they've promoted the sale of Fulla dolls, which are also sold in a number of other countries. She's designed to be a role model to Muslim girls. Therefore, all the clothing covers shoulders and the skirts are longer than knee length. They've also put more focus on the careers, but she doesn't have a boyfriend

Iran also introduced dolls called Sara and Dara, but unlike Fulla, it's a girl/boy combo.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

All things nuclear fascinate me, from reactors to nuclear weapons, from Darlington to Hiroshima.

I wrote a essay(just for fun) on the evolution of nuclear weapons and their usage. My laptop's background is the famous Operation Crossroads-Baker shot.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r_in_color.jpg
                              That black smuge is said to be the 27,000 ton USS Arkansas
                              Frying pans! Who knew, right?

Comment

elephants cant jump

Comment

Working...
                                X