This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Aria View Post
    This is exactly why Doctors Without Borders refused a million 'free' vaccines recently. Because they don't want donations, they want a low price that they can afford...
    Yes, exactly. One million "free" vaccines are a drop in the bucket when it comes to the total number needed, and it simply does not cost that much to produce vaccines. It was an insulting offer and I'm glad they rejected it.

Here in the US, a flu shot costs around $25-30, which is actually pretty high compared to most other vaccines. However, other vaccines are subsidized by the federal government specifically to keep the price low and affordable for everyone. And contrary to popular opinion, the drug companies don't do much more than break even on them in the US. Hence the high prices elsewhere.

Quoth BeeMused View Post
    WOW, reading this makes me really happy about healthcare here in Germany, co-pay is max. 10€, even if the meds cost 10,000 or more. The co-pay is capped at 2% of your yearly income, 1% if you have chronic illnesses. That makes it very affordable. There are many problems with healthcare in Germany, but all in all, it's a good thing.
    IIRC you have to buy insurance in Germany, yes?
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
      IIRC you have to buy insurance in Germany, yes?
      You have to have insurance in Germany, either statutory health insurance or private insurance. With statutory health insurance employer and employees share the costs, so you pay around 8% of your gross salary. Private insurace works differently, when you're young ist fairly cheap, but once you get older the premiums sky rocket. And you can't switch back to statutory health insurance.
      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

They changed our prescription coverage at work. My monthly pill went from about $22/month (I wasn't complaining) to .... Free. Really not complaining now!

And I love it when I have to get a prescription for our kids (amoxicillin for the babies' ear infections) and they let us know if Publix offers it for free before they send it to CVS.

Comment

Wait? What? Free? How dare they! Learn to complain without suffering!!!1111!!!1!eleventy!!!!
          No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
          X