This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backups - Image or not?

A trusted tech friend is suggesting I might need to reformat because of some difficulties I've been having. Before I make that decision, I'd appreciate some advice on the best way to back up my machine. XP Home SP2, HP machine, nothing really special about it. And no, I haven't backed up yet. (Slap me now - I'm always the one who counsels others about doing backups regularly.) I have a 320GB Maxtor external drive, pretty much enough space to move my four-bedroom brick home into for the winter, to use for the purpose.

I understand that disk imaging is good, since I don't have installation software for some programs. On the other hand, if there's something lurking there that could cause problems, wouldn't it be copied to the machine when the image is restored?

Or should I do both image and data backups? I'm using only about 25% of the 80GB on my machine, so it seems I'd have room on the external hard drive.

Then again, I know just enough to be dangerous. Any thoughts?

Quoth 1756GR2 View Post
    On the other hand, if there's something lurking there that could cause problems, wouldn't it be copied to the machine when the image is restored?

Or should I do both image and data backups? I'm using only about 25% of the 80GB on my machine, so it seems I'd have room on the external hard drive.

Then again, I know just enough to be dangerous. Any thoughts?
    You are correct. An image backup is just that: An image of your machine as of a given point in time. If your machine is broken, then so is your image, and no amount of begging/pleading with the gods of computerdom can change that.

Do a data backup. If Windows Backup is installed, use that to backup your entire machine to the external drive. You'll still be able to pull back your files. As for the install disks, there's nothing to be done there. I wish I could give you better news than that.

Comment

Do both, best thing to do is to make a image just after you're done with a complete fresh install (and all your apps). Then then after that, just back up your data files. That way you can do a quick "back to normal" restore with the image and be able to actually read your back-up data files without having to restore the hard-drive.

Go ahead and do a image of your computer now. When you do have to restore, then no harm done. If there something hiding, then at that point, you can wipe it clean and do a fresh install. Re-do an image of that fresh install. And you'll be set for a easy restore when
      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Some programs will work if you copy over the program file folder BUT you will have to do some modification to the registry if you want to get it to start up when Windows starts, and you will have to add it manually into the start menu and the desktop. If you want a program file, make sure you back it up. If it works, hooray, and if not, well, you tried.

Also, make sure that you get all of the drivers you can. They are usually stored in the C: drive. It's a pain in the rear to get the drivers downloaded off the websites, especially if you need the network driver and you don't have another machine you can use to get it from.

Don't forget any bookmarks/favorites you may have in your browsers. If you do a google search, you can find instructions on how to back up the bookmarks for whichever browser you use.

If you happen to use an email program like Thunderbird or Eudora, don't forget that too. It sucks losing address books and emails.

I wouldn't recommend doing the image since you are reformatting. The whole purpose of reformatting is usually to give yourself a clean install to work with, and if you are imaging, you will get an exact copy of the hard drive, reinstalled, and any problems with the system before will not be gone.

*Edit* What LMM said. If you have a clean image with no programs installed, then it's faster to do a clean install from an image than it is to wipe your HDD and reinstall every time. I would partition your external before making the clean image though, that way you don't accidentally erase your data.

Oh, and when you use a USB drive to backup data, make sure you unplug it before you boot to the XP install disk, otherwise you could format your external accidentally.
        Last edited by Shabo; 07-25-2007, 04:04 PM.
        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
        The Office

Comment

Quoth 1756GR2 View Post
          since I don't have installation software for some programs.
          Sorry, I forgot to address this.

You're screwed on this either way, unless you can find every file and reg entries that the program uses and throughly transfer each and every tiny detail. The program you want most likely won't work. Now not all programs are like this, some are very old fashion and have everything they need right in the folder it was installed in (no reg entries, ini files, etc...).

There is another option, but unless you're an extreme expert. I'm just not comfortable in even saying what that option is.
          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Thanks much, all. You've kind of told me what I expected to hear, and I will follow the sage advice offered. It was none but my stupidity for not backing up as I should have been doing, so I'm quite prepared to wear the hair shirt of difficulty in restoring all, at least till I manage to recover the software I undoubtedly either misplaced in the house or loaned to my brother. After backups are done, I really do need to pay more attention to organization.

Comment

Working...
            X