This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please help?

I have a computer problem which I'm fairly sure is internal and possibly a virus. I'm just not sure and I will try my best to be coherent.

I own a PC, it runs Windows XP (and it is unvalidated, yeah, I know), and it was built from scratch by a computer engineering student. I do fully believe almost all the software he put on here is bootleg, but it has been three years since I bought it relatively cheaply in February of 2005 and he's given me no trouble (yes, he, I named him Zoro after the One Piece character; I'm a geek). However, the last week it's been acting weird. I shall endeavor to explain. Keep in mind, I know nothing about programming or computer speak, just enough to defrag and clean out the insides once in awhile.

At first all I noticed was it was making a strange noise unlike it's usual hum, it was just shy of a rattling noise from the back area. No problem, I figure, it could be I need a new fan in the back or something. However, I'm poor, and that must wait until I can afford it.

Then weird things began popping up every time I restarted or powered on. It would immediately attempt to launch into Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, say it had an error and they keep popping these error messages up even after I close them for several minutes, also mentioning something called a CTF Loader being unable to launch. At this point I'm scared. So, after I clear those away (finally), I actually attempt to open one of My Word Documents to see what'd happen. I start the entire process over again. The only possible prelude to these programs being weird was a small popup that said I was running low on virtual memory.

So, I took it out back and dusted the inside with a bottle of compressed air and brought it back in, hoping against hope that that might help. It helped neither the rattling nor the programs (not that I thought it would). Now, the rattling isn't constant, it goes away and comes back at apparent will, no matter the programs I run. But I cannot lose these Word Docs and my AIM logs, they hold sessions that dictate my future. I'm going to attempt to back them all up on a CD (again, I can't afford an external harddrive), before I have to take Zoro in. Does anyone have any advice or notion as to the problem?

From my Google-fu search I have stumbled across the following info;

Update your service packs.

I know, seems like a "duh" moment to me too. It seems to be a common error though and updating your service packs seems to fix the problem (personally, I think dumping XP and using Linux is a great alternative too, but a lot of games won't run on Linux)

If that doesn't work. Uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Office because it's an error with the ctfmon.exe file. I'm going to assume that it's corrupted. (it happens.)

Before you do this; back up all your files onto either hard discs or thumb drives. Ya know, just in case.

As for the rattling, I have no idea.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

First: From what you've said, your backups are the most important thing you can make right now. Don't just put them on one CD. Make at least 3 copies. Give one of them to a trusted friend, and verify that said friend's computer is capable of reading them. Do this before you give that computer to anybody else for any reason.

Second, I was going to say I would be beyond shocked if it turns out you didn't have some sort of malware on your computer, but a quick google for ctf loader took me to an interesting page, which lead me back to Microsoft itself.

Now, here's the truly awful news for you. If you take that computer in to a reputable shop, you have a high likelihood that they will leave you in a very bad position. You see, they're going to, at a minimum, want to reinstall Office. From the sound of it, you don't have the disks. And they might not tell you they need them until they uninstall your current.

In short, you've got a set of options which range from bad to shitty when it comes to taking it in for repair, unless you've got the original installation media.

My best recommendation for you is to do the backup, then install Open Office.org, and verifying that, using it, you can read your documents correctly. This will at least give you an option. No, Open Office.org will not be a 100% replacement for MS Office. However, unless you're doing some truly bizarre stuff, it should handle your needs until such time as you can afford to buy a new copy of MS Office.

Also, make sure you've got your antivirus up to date ( Avast is free for home use, and rates well ), some sort of firewall (I'm sorry, I don't know the current batch of free ones for Windows), Anti-Spyware ( Spybot Search & Destroy still seems to win for this) up to date, and whatever Windows updates you can get, just as a paranoia check against any possible malware on the computer.

Oh, nearly forgot: The rattling. Two possibilities come to mind: Some fan is going, or your hard drive is going. Fans aren't too bad. Hard drive, though, could be pretty catastrophic right now for you. Way to tell: Open the case, and listen. Use your ears to determine where the sound is coming from.

Good luck with it, and let us know if you need more help.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        (personally, I think dumping XP and using Linux is a great alternative too, but a lot of games won't run on Linux)
        Gaming, female, and prefers Linux? Damn, if you weren't in Texas, I'd probably have to ask you to marry me, or something (sorry, Texas heat and humidity make me and baby Jesus cry

Comment

Update: Alright, I had the CDs to backup everything once, it worked on my roommate's computer, so I can find the files. You know, it's amazing that everything important on my computer can be put onto 10 700MB disks (5 of which are music). A small stack and it's everything. Oy.

My bf thinks it's the fan or the hard disk that's making the noise as well. I listened and it's coming from the back of the tower, so I do think it's likely the fan, and lo, when I looked back there, the fan is not moving. Perfect. So it needs fixing for sure, but at least that problem I have a clear path to fix.

Afterwards, I cleaned out old files, defragged, and then did a full disk check and as this requires one or two restarts, obviously I was expecting those popups to interfere. Guess what. Right before I did the check, I got Word to work normally. After the check, I recieved none of the CTF Loader popups nor did any of my Microsoft Office files try to open and fail. I open Word again...and it works! No problems! None! I am at a loss.

As for the service packs idea...I don't know what those are, but if they require a validated copy of Windows and such, I can't.
          Last edited by adarhysenthe; 06-02-2008, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I'd like to step in and say something here:

Fans are cheap and easy to fix. They are also critical for cooling. Shell out the little cash and replace the fan before thermal failure sets in. It's a quick fix, but in no means a minor problem.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
              I'd like to step in and say something here:

Fans are cheap and easy to fix. They are also critical for cooling. Shell out the little cash and replace the fan before thermal failure sets in. It's a quick fix, but in no means a minor problem.
              Ditto this. Four screws, and plug the new one in where the old one is now. Easy fix, but it needs to be done soon. Heat damage can be cummulative over time.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Oh I'm looking at new fans today. I was just paid, so I might have just enough after rent and my car payment to handle that. And this morning when I rebooted the popups were back, so something is going on. I think it's time to take my baby in and find out what's up. He's backed up now and I'd rather shell out the dough and be late on other payments then lose my Zoro. So, he comes to work with me and gets a checkup right after. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Before you do that, I'd go ahead and try to download Spybot Search & Destroy. That might solve your popup problems.

Comment

Alright, I took Zoro in and they mentioned that the fan I'd been looking at was the power supply. Ok, that's new, whatever. I left Zoro with them and they called me a few hours later, I missed it and called them back in the morning. They said they couldn't find anything wrong!

I said I'd pick it up after work after saying some very doubtful things. Lo, after my shift, I arrive and the guy goes "Oh yes, the power supply failed, so we replaced it like you wanted." Thanks. Glad to know I wasn't paying $55 for nothing. So, I will buy an official copy of Windows Xp Pro sometime next month, as they had it for $149 and Staples had it for $300 (Whoa no). This will also gimme time to shop around and see if anywhere has it cheaper, but I doubt it.

Also, miraculously, the popups are gone too. I wonder if they were connected... Either way I ran CCleaner, which freed up a lot of memory and got rid of some useless files, which a friend recommended I try.

Comment

Looks like the shop was nice to ya and ran a virus cleaner for you. Either that or the pop-up were related to the low power from the power supplies. Which can happen, low power can cause alot of false reports on devices, which causes windows to go "???, I have no clue. roll d20 and pick a message"

You can do a right-click->properties on the "my computer" icon on the desktop. That will tell you what service pack you have installed.
                      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Unlicenced copy from 2005. I'm betting SP0. Getting a legit copy will probably help you out a fair bit, as the patches do add a lot of stability. And yes, it is probable that it was the power supply's death causing problems.

This "fan in the back" that wasn't moving, on the inside, was it part of a large block? If so, yes, that was your power supply fan, and 3 years isn't bad as I'm assuming it was a middle-of-the-road supply. So while more expensive than just any old fan, at least you weren't ripped off.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                          Also, make sure you've got your antivirus up to date ( Avast is free for home use, and rates well ), some sort of firewall (I'm sorry, I don't know the current batch of free ones for Windows), Anti-Spyware ( Spybot Search & Destroy still seems to win for this) up to date, and whatever Windows updates you can get, just as a paranoia check against any possible malware on the computer.
                          Worth quoting again for emphasis.

Another good and free antivirus is AVG . It's updater has been updated so it doesn't bother you any more (it all runs in the background rather than popping up several windows).

For a free firewall on XP, I'd suggest Sunbelt Kerio. It's free and fairly light-weight.

As to your licensing problem, there aren't many options. You need to have a licensed version of windows so you can keep it updated. You can try to hit the windows update site and see if it'll work before going out to purchase one. If I remember correctly, if the update fails, it'll offer to take you to a MS page that you can purchase said license, and legitimate your copy. I have no idea of the price though.

If you're a student, you can often get hold of a copy of XP and Office cheaper than otherwise from the school bookstore, but that's iffy at best. My own bookstore no longer stocks XP.

Eric the Grey
                          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I do have AVG and it's running alright. It was the power supply (the fan was indeed hooked up to a big block) and I just shelled out the dough to replace it. The popups are gone and the computer has done magically well for being three years old. Granted I really don't use Zoro for too much: photoshop art, watching movies, occasionally playing a game, AIM, and surfing the web. As I don't care enough to keep up to date on photoshop versions and such, Zoro performs his work wonderfully this whole time.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                              Gaming, female, and prefers Linux? Damn, if you weren't in Texas, I'd probably have to ask you to marry me, or something (sorry, Texas heat and humidity make me and baby Jesus cry
                              Oddly enough, you're not the first to tell me that.
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                              X