This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless with a Windows 98 machine?

A thoroughly non-technically minded friend called me to help him install his new router today. The desktop meets the requirements set out in the provider's literature, but are we (rather I) positively crazy to do this on a Windows 98 machine?

There is a compelling financial need not to spend any more money right now or he would have upgraded or bought a new machine. He will do that as soon as he's able. He got a HUGE deal on phone/TV/internet that will save him some critical funds and let him dump his monthly AOL expense, and his provider swears it will work on his machine. The wireless card is installed in the desktop. We haven't gone further than installing that card since the service isn't active for a few days yet.

While I'm not overly skilled, I can follow directions. I love a challenge, but I know my limits and anticipate a lot of frustration.

I'm not asking anyone to tell me how to do this step by step. What I need to know is - Does this effort require wizardly knowledge and skill, and how unfair would it be to call their tech support for help when we need it?

Should be simple. go onto the manufacturers website and download the drivers. They usually also come with a configuration wizard as well, if not, there will be steps on their website for how it will connect.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

You can do it easily with windows 98se or me. However, the wireless card or usb must have support for win98 if they don't. You'll never get it to work. There is one brand (linksys) that I know of that still create drivers for 98 for their network devices. However, the cheaper brands like d-link, don't have legacy support.

Forgot to mention: I actually have 2 win9x computers with wireless connections. One with a wireless card, another with a wireless "port" hub which you connect to the normal network card.
      Last edited by LostMyMind; 06-12-2008, 05:39 PM.
      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I'm feelin' a good bit better about the whole project already.

Comment

Best bet would be to bring your buddies machine over to a place that had wireless & test it there beforehand. Save a mess of hair pulling later

And as stated before, get latest drivers from mfrs website.

P.S. good luck
          "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

We picked up the local tire center right away. That seemed quite hopeful, but odd (in my limited experience) since only the card was installed, nothing else. Having trouble finding the other drivers. But I am, if nothing else, persistent.

Thanks for the support!

Comment

I had a Windows 98 laptop. I tried using a wireless router, but that didn't work well. So I ended up using wired router.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Well, that was lucky for you 1756GR2.

powerboy. I'm guessin' since you said "had", it's not an issue anymore. However, I would bet it probably was not win98 second edition. That the only version of 98 that will do wireless network (not great but it works).
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Just like most of you said, it was easy. I fought with the router's CD when it wouldn't load, then gave up. As it turned out, I didn't need that at all. Everything's up and running just as nice as you could want. It was almost easier than setting up my XP machine.

And when it was done, I got the bonus of watching a 45-year-old balding man dance around the room whooping and giggling with glee that he finally had his oh-so-fast internet access!

Comment

Working...
                  X