X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2008 CS Christmas Card List - Discussion

Hello All!

I'm off to a bit of a late start this year, but it is time for me to start accepting sign ups for our annual Christmas Card Exchange.

If you plan to join, please send me your name/screen name, mailing address (including the country), AND
    email address via PM. DO NOT POST YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IN THIS THREAD!

You MUST send complete information or you will NOT be added to the list. Please pay careful attention to this detail, because I get way too many incomplete sign ups and it totally kills my brain.

Please read the following rules carefully and if you have a question that is not addressed in this post, feel free to ask and I will help you the best that I can.

1. If you sign up, you must be prepared to send a card to every member on the list. If you fail to do so you will not be allowed to join the following year.

2. No E-Cards. Store bought or homemade are dandy.

3. You can send whatever type holiday cards you wish-Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solistice, Generic "Holiday" cards- I don't care. All I care is that you send FRIENDLY cards. Also, anyone who complains to me about receiving a friendly card that for whatever reason offends their personal beliefs (generic example: a Christian upset about getting a Hanukkah card) will be shown one of these )

4. You MUST join by October 24. No late sign ups will be accepted so if you miss out, tough noogies. I have tried to be lenient about this but it has not worked out even once.

Thank you!

TEST
    Last edited by Edward T. Hunter; 01-26-2009, 12:13 AM. Reason: Testing something -- Mike
    "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Thank you so much for taking this on again this year.

I know what a headache it is. I know you will receive numerous PM's with people forgetting to give their email address, or with them assuming you know what country they are from and won't include it in their address, or even others who will forget some vital part of their address.

It's inevitable. It seems to happen every year.

So, guys, if you want to participate, please read the instructions carefully to minimize the headaches.

Also, last year's average for signups vs. actual cards received was pretty darned dismal.

We seemed to have had a major post office crisis, as at least 3 different members reported that they found out long after the fact that their cards had simply been held at the post office for some reason or another, and were not actually sent out, or the cards were simply lost at the post office in limbo somewhere.

We had another member who posted about making homemade cards and gave progress reports, but in the end, not one member received a single card from that end, with no apology or explanation.

We had still another member who, for about the third year in a row, made a huge production out of ensuring their name was on the list, but once again failed to deliver on a single card.

Then we had those who just signed up and didn't participate, but didn't even offer any excuse.

That really irks me in light of the fact that there was one member who had suffered a tremendous family tragedy and loss, but still managed to mail out every single card.

So, guys, if you sign up, do everyone the courtesy of sending out your cards as promised.

It can be a little pricey for cards and postage, depending on how many people participate, so keep that in mind. It's not really fair to sign up and then bugger off while receiving a whole lot of cards sent out by the others who followed through on the commitment.

And now that I have finished my lecture, I am off to send my PM to Juniormintz.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Last year, after Christmas, I cut out all the unusual and foreign (Not US) stamps from the envelopes and sent them to my Mother for her stamp collection. She was especially excited about the stamps from South Africa and Eastern Europe. So this year she's already asked me---are you gonna get lots of foreign cards again? *hopeful look*

I'm working full time and taking 12 college credits, so I don't know yet if I will have time.

But thank you to everyone who sent me Christmas cards last year!

TEST
      Last edited by Edward T. Hunter; 01-26-2009, 12:20 AM. Reason: testing something -- Mike
      Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

I signed up again this year. I really had fun doing it last year. I will be looking for some awesome cards this year, and hopefully be able to get some cool stamps.
        Last edited by Edward T. Hunter; 01-26-2009, 12:23 AM. Reason: test
        "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
          So this year she's already asked me---are you gonna get lots of foreign cards again? *hopeful look*
          Well, I can guarentee that she'll get at least one postage stamp from Canada.
          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Along with this, would someone experienced in such things like to give advice to those of us who've never shipped a letter overseas? I know the postage will cost more....Advice?

test
            Last edited by Edward T. Hunter; 01-26-2009, 12:25 AM.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
              Along with this, would someone experienced in such things like to give advice to those of us who've never shipped a letter overseas? I know the postage will cost more....Advice?
              1) Make sure the address is written correctly on the card, including the country you're sending to.

2) Get the correct number of stamps (Seriously. It's a pain running out of stamps)

3) Double check on the cost using these websites:

US Postal Service

Canada Post

Royal Mail
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I felt bad for not sending any out a few years ago. I hadn't signed up since. I will however do this.
                Military Spouse Support.
                http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Last year was my first time participating and it was very exciting receiving all the different cards. (my son enjoyed the snowman's poop )

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                  I bought enough stamps from the post office for cards going within the US and then anything going overseas I just took with me to the post office and let them price it out for me. Hope that helps.
                  If you don't like my attitude, talk to the manager!!! Oh, wait, that would be me!!

Yes, I'm the manager. I'm also known as "the brick wall".

Comment

Oh, Lordy, is it that time again already?

Quoth Camry178 View Post
                    I bought enough stamps from the post office for cards going within the US and then anything going overseas I just took with me to the post office and let them price it out for me. Hope that helps.
                    This is what I did, too.

Thanks for doing this again, JM. I'll have my info in shortly.

Comment

4th year on the cards list

4th address to send the cards to

my name shouldnt be kiwi it should be "gypsy"

cant wait to have all the cards string up on my wall again
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I haven't done this before since I wasn't on the site last Christmas so I have a quick question: how many people usually sign up? I'd like to know so I can have an idea if I will have the funds and time needed - I don't want to sign up and then not be able to do it.
                        "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

It varies from year to year, I usually budget about $40-50 American for the cards and postage.

I plan to post every week or so a list of the people I received sign ups from. Please check back into this thread frequently for these updates.

Also, another reminder: I need your name, mailing address (including country), AND your email addresses when you sign up.

Thank you!
                          "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

I did this a couple years back, and joined up last year, unfortunately things happened, and I did post an apology... Again guys I am sorry my cards didn't go out last year *hides* BUT I already have my cards for this year, and AS SOON as I get the addresses, I'm going to sit down, address all the envelopes, and get them sent out, as NOW I'll have cash on hand to do so Plus, Michael and I will look forward to the cards with all the stuff going on this year, especially around that time, it will keep our year bright. And a BIG THANK YOU to JuniorMintz for taking this on AGAIN You're AWESOME <3 Off to send my PM with yet another new address *laugh*

Comment

If you aren't in the US, the majority of cards go to the US. There were about 50 last year, so I spend £20-30 on postage, so it isn't cheap.

But getting loads of cards from all over the world was great. I'm certainly going to sign up again. And Jnr Mintz does a great job of organising it.
                              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
                              X