Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mead's not all that hard to make, so if you can't find it.... we just bottled five gallons of the stuff a weekend ago.

Comment

I don't drink very much as a rule, not because I don't like the taste but because I don't like the effect it has on me - if I have too much, I don't feel good, then bad afterwards - I just start feeling bad. So not much point in overindulging.

However, I can drink some, and the past couple of years I've been making my own liqueur type things. Currently in my store cupboard I have sloe gin, sloe vodka, bullace vodka, plum brandy, blackcurrant rum, limoncello and spiced arancello. I've also made cherry brandy, and every year I make strawberry and raspberry liqueurs (alas all that I made last year seems to have unaccountably vanished.....) Has anyone else tried making these?

By the way Jester, I've known you to mention vanilla rum in other threads - sadly it doesn't seem to be easily available over here
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

This is something that my in-laws gave me to try, a good chocolate stout and raspberry Framboise. I like a good stout but the two mixed balanced the sweet of the Framboise. Also making a float out of the Framboise.
        "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

I'm not much for mixed drinks or beer, but I do like wine, especially raspberry or cherry wine. We have a nice little wine shop here that bottles their own hard cider from local apples. At Christmas we had their Cider Icewine. Yummy.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            They called it "horchata" which is evidently a thing.
            Oh, I know horchata*. It is a fantastic rice milk, usually flavored with cinnamon, that most people from the Southwest should know, as it is big in the Mexican culture. I miss horchata, actually. I wonder if the local Cuban stores might have it....
            *(It's pronounced "or-CHAHD-uh, by the way.)

But yeah, I can totally understand how well rum would go with horchata. And as Rum Chata is a rum cream, I can almost taste it, as my bar carries a couple of rum creams in our stock.

Rum Chata....gotta talk to my boss about that one....

Quoth monolayth View Post
            My favorite was the friend who did not understand a Toddy=hot lol.
            There's a reason they're usually referred to as "Hot Toddy's."

Quoth Treasure View Post
            "Cure.... cause sobriety is the Disease"
            Sounds terrible. (I can't wait to try it!)

Quoth incognitocook View Post
            We just started home brewing and my current favorite is our home made Oktoberfest. It's sooo malty.
            Mmmm....malty Octoberfest. I sooo want some!

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
            I'm personally fond of anything by unibroue(especially fond of La fin du monde), Monty python's holy ail, and Köstritzer Schwartzbeir-which is a sweet dark beir, actually a dark Lager, so those who "hate" dark beers usually enjoy it.
            Love La Fin du Monde. Literally translated from French, it means "The End of the World," which is a great name for a beer. And this beer lives up to that high-faluting name. Best thing to come out of Canada since hockey!

Holy Grail is great too! And I almost corrected you on the name, convinced that it was called Holy Grail Ale. Until I looked at the label. D'oh!

Have not had the Kostritzer, but I've had a few Schwartzbiers (literally translated, "black beer"), and I've liked what I've had. I will look for the Kostritzer label now!

Quoth KiaKat View Post
            I can give a quick one or two, though...
            I have to ask...are those YOUR words describing the wines, or are those notes you got from a professional review? Just wondering.

Quoth Panacea View Post
            One drink I like to make in the fall is Apple Cider with a jigger of Cinnamon Schopps.
            A local bar here serves hot mulled cider with spiced rum when it gets cold. "Jester, you live in Key West, it never gets cold." Bullshit. In the winter, it sometimes drops into the 50's and 40's. Not that cold, admittedly. But add to the mix the wind coming straight off the Atlantic, and the fact that we have a lot of open air (i.e., outside) bars, and that this bar is not only outside, but right on the harbor....yeah, we love their hot rum cider!

Quoth Panacea View Post
            I didn't like beer at all until I went to the Dogfish Head Brewpub and Eats...
            Odd thing. I am always trying new beers. And I love what Dogfish Head is doing to bring attention to craft beer and microbreweries. But to date, I have tried ten different offerings from Dogfish Head, and my opinions of them have ranged from "okay, but not something I'd order" to "I want to throw this against the wall!" I thought for sure I would love their Midas Touch, which is a honey beer, as I love honey and generally love honey beers. To me, it was wretched. Now, to be perfectly fair, two of their beers I've tried were their 60 Minute I.P.A. and their 90 Minute Imperial I.P.A., and frankly, I'm just not a huge I.P.A. fan, so I was bound to be biased against those two anyway. The rest....I dunno. I just don't care for them. But me being me, I will continue to try them.

Quoth Marmalady View Post
            Has anyone else tried making these?
            I have been asked many times if I brew my own beer, and when I say no, I often get asked why not. Here's why not:

1. I'm a beer drinker and a cook, but I don't think I'd have the patience to brew.
            2. I don't have the equipment, nor the money to get the equipment.
            3. I definitely don't have the space.
            4. I much prefer tasting the finished products of people who know what the fuck they're doing in this field.

Quoth Marmalady View Post
            By the way Jester, I've known you to mention vanilla rum in other threads - sadly it doesn't seem to be easily available over here
            My favorite vanilla rum is Brinley Gold Vanilla from St. Kitt's. All five of Brinley's flavored rums are exquisite, actually. Now, I've only tried four of them, as their fifth flavor is coffee, which I don't like, but those who have tried the Brinley Gold Coffee have raved about it. Brinley also now makes a spiced rum, Shipwreck, which is pretty good, but not at the religion-changing level of their flavored rums.

If you cannot find Brinley but still want to get a vanilla rum for mixing (as few others will be worth sipping on like Brinley is), I suggest looking for Cruzan Vanilla, or perhaps Bacardi Vanilla. The Cruzan is superior to the Bacardi, but the Bacardi will do. If you happen to come across a bottle of Mount Gay Vanilla, congratulations--the distillery has discontinued this product, so you ain't gonna see much of it again. (It's on par or better than the Cruzan, but of course not in the same league as the Brinley.) There may well be other vanilla flavored rums, but I am not familiar with them, but feel free to keep looking. And of course, report back!

Quoth pitmonkey View Post
            This is something that my in-laws gave me to try, a good chocolate stout and raspberry Framboise.
            I have combined Left Hand Milk Stout with Framboise, and it is heavenly. We have Framboise on draft at my bar, and we also combine it with other beers. It is quite impressive with Guinness, and we also combine it with Blue Moon for an amazing beer. The Blue Moon dilutes the raspberry taste and sweetness a lot, making it easier to drink. (I can only drink one Framboise before I have to switch, but I can drink the BM/F combo all night long!) Hint when combining Framboise with any other beer: only make 1/4 of the mix Framboise, the other 3/4 the other beer. The raspberry taste and overall sweetness of Framboise is so powerful, this is all that is necessary.

TODAY'S TASTINGS:

Widmer Hefeweizen (Widmer Brothers, Portland, Oregon): One of my favorite styles of beer is a good hefeweizen, which is an unfiltered German-style wheat beer, usually quite cloudy in appearance due to the lack of filtering. So when a beer rep came in looking to hook us up with (i.e. sell us) some new beers, and offered to give me some samples of the Widmer Hefe, of course I took it. Hey...FREE BEER! Now, I thought I might have tried Widmer in the past, and was pretty sure that at the time I was mightily unimpressed, but figured I'd give it a shot. After all, my boss does rely on my for my opinions on beers, and hey....FREE BEER! The Widmer was, if anything, more disappointing than I remember. It is fairly clear, never the sign of a good hefe. And the typical banana and clove tastes that are associated with a classic hefe are just not there. It is, if anything, and unthreatening lightish beer with a hint of hefe. I would call it the Bud Light of hefes, but Anheuser Busch is currently making Bud Light Golden Wheat. Now, I tried the Golden Wheat last year at a beer festival, and it wasn't too shabby. Not a great hefe, but more than you would expect from an AB product. And, scarily, better than the Widmer. So for once I give the boys at AB an attaboy--they don't have the lamest hefe out there. Widmer, you may not be the worst either, but you definitely aren't in the running for as high a rating as good. Would I drink Widmer Hefeweizen? Yes, I'm drinking the last of the free samples as I type this. And if someone handed me one, I'd drink it. It's not horrible. It's just not a good hefe. Now, would I PAY for Widmer Hefeweizen? Not a fucking chance.

Regarding the beer rep, I told my boss to avoid the hefe, but did suggest that we acquire one of the other beers the rep was offering, as it is both a good beer and has some name recognition in the beer loving community.

I'll add more as I taste more tonight.....

Mmmmm.....horchata......

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

My words, Jester. Quickly translated from a formal tasting grid. Normally my reviews are a bit longer and delve more into the way the flavours play off each other, but I don't have time to really edit writing today.

Comment

While I have no idea what a "formal tasting grid" is, I am still quite impressed, Kia.

While I am a definite beer and rum afficionado (I refuse to call myself an expert, as I am not one), I am merely a lover of wine, knowing far less about it than I do about rum or beer.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Okay, had some Gnarly Head Pinot Grigio the other night. The description on the botthe made it sound a lot more fruity and spicy than it actually was.

I admit I bought it because I wanted to know what Gnarly Head wine tasted like. And I was serving pineapple chicken and thought the claim of "pineapples and ginger" sounded interesting.

Meh. It wasn't bad. Keep looking.

Comment

Thanks.

A formal tasting grid is basically just a fancy way of saying "here, fill out this form to figure out what the wine tastes like." It has sections for defining characteristics like alcohol, acid, etc, and sections for noting down flavours and textures. The formal version is used for blind tasting, the informal version is generally just jotted down in a notebook for later perusal.

I'm looking forward to my new job - my tasting skills are going to skyrocket. I'm definitely an expert in the methods and facts surrounding wine, but finally I'll have a chance to add "expert taster" to that list.

ETA: Kink, generally I can't stand California PG. It's either flavourless, or excessively fruity, with none of the really stony notes that should be prominent. Grab something from Friuli, Italy, or Dundee Hills, Oregon for a good Pinot Grigio. If you want a good California white, look for a small-production Chenin Blanc, or a Russian River Sauvignon Blanc... just make sure it's "unoaked."
                    Last edited by KiaKat; 03-29-2011, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                      I'm looking forward to my new job - my tasting skills are going to skyrocket. I'm definitely an expert in the methods and facts surrounding wine, but finally I'll have a chance to add "expert taster" to that list.
                      Oh? Do tell. What is this new job you speak of, this new job that I am already jealous of you for, though I know not what it is?

NEXT BEER TONIGHT: St. Martin Triple. This is apparently a Trappist Ale from Belgium. For those not in the know, a Trappist Ale is one made in a monastery, and it can only be called Trappist if it is. One of the more famous examples of Trappist Ale is the Chimay label. At least, I think Chimay is Trappist. Don't quote me on that. Apparently a Triple....though triple what I don't know. Now, I don't often like Belgian ales or Trappist ales--for example, I hate the Chimay White Label but kinda like the Chimay Blue Label, other than an odd aftertaste it has--but a coworker and her boyfriend gave me a four-pack of this, and while I don't know why....hey, FREE BEER!

Nose: nothing jumping out at me that is unpleasant. Seems okay.
                      First sip: Wow. What the hell? This is definitely not Chimay, nor what I was expecting. And I mean this in a good way!
                      Continued tasting: It has some of the familiar Trappist qualities, but only the ones I liked. It is vaguely reminiscent of the Chimay Blue Label, but without that odd aftertaste.
                      It is somewhat light, in the sense that a hefeweizen is light (we're not talking Bud Light here people!), with a medium body and kind of a fruity taste, but without being overly fruity, as a hefe often is with banana. It's a nice drinking beer. I definitely have not had anything quite like it before.
                      Would I drink this again? Yes. I have three more in the fridge, and hey, FREE BEER!
                      Would I pay for it? Yes. Yes I would. This is tasty. This is an excellent example of what beer should be, what it can be, and what it ought to be....and yet still very unique. Very, very tasty. Would go well with any light fare, such as fish, fowl, or lamb. Don't think it would go well with burgers or steaks. Not a beer for spicy food, as you'd lose the taste of the beer. Pork...it would depend on the dish, honestly. With a high-end chicken or poultry dish, this beer would shine.

Correction: St. Martin Triple is NOT a Trappist Ale, as it is made by Brunehart Brewery in Brunehart, Belgium. And has been since 1890. Apparently it's a triple strengh pale beer, 9% abv (alcohol by volume). Hey, I'm learning as I go. And I am only going to link beers that I like. Not worth my time to link those that I don't like. (Are you listening, Widmer Brothers?)

Now, back to St. Martin......

Still A Customer."

Comment

I don't know that there will be any more updates. I'm enjoying the St. Martin, and don't think I'll be hitting other beers tonight.

And this is why we should always try things when we're unsure if we've had them before. I thought I had had Widmer and didn't care for it, and I was correct on both counts. I thought I had tried St. Martin and didn't like it, and I was wrong on both counts. Just like Mr. B taught me all those years ago, I learn something new every day.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Oh? Do tell. What is this new job you speak of, this new job that I am already jealous of you for, though I know not what it is?
                          I'm going to be managing a major wine & liquor store in upstate NY. The owner is so good, he makes regular deliveries to customers in NYC. He's already said he wants to help me get both my WSET certification (Wine & Spirits Education Trust) as well as my Master Sommelier certification. I'm making quite a bit more than at my current job, in a place where the cost-of-living is lower, and my expenses will be lower, due to living only a block from the store. It involves a move, but I'm happy to do that, as I've wanted to leave the city for a long time now, and my fiance is thrilled because it's actually a community he likes.

I posted a thread over in Bragging Rights with bits and pieces of the story. One of these days I'll write up the whole thing.

Comment

Very cool, Kia! Congrats!

Of course, if you ever need rum or beer advice, just let me know.

That being said, if you're ever able to get my bar (or me) a rum we (or I) can't get down here, just let me know.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Okay, I made a tactical error. Having not eating much food last night, I proceeded to drink beer. That in itself was not the tactical error. The tactical error was in having the beer I hit be 9% abv. Knocked me silly, as in OUT. I woke up to discover a not finished St. Martin, and pouring that stuff down the sink is a sad thing. Luckily I have two more, but still.....be warned. Learn from my errors!

Still A Customer."

Comment

The high ABV beers always hit me really hard. But then, I'm a light weight, I know it, and thus am always really careful about eating before/with drinking.

Generally I drink beer (if I'm drinking), and some times spirits. I enjoy a good beer (though I am far from knowledgeable about them). I tend to prefer my beer to be more on the malt side than hops (though a balance is nice, and some beers are decidedly to sweet for me).

The only beer I have 'discovered' at all recently was Moylan's Dargoons Irish Stout. Darkest beer I have run into with a lot of coffeeish flavor (in a good way) to it. Ran into it once at Barcade (In NYC), and have yet to see it again.

For Spirits I have picked up a couple things recently:
                                I bought a bottle of Crystal Head vodka (yes, please, start mocking me). I can honestly say I wanted it for the damn bottle and the pair of glass skull shot glasses. I don't like Vodka. Never had, and I thought never will. I actually really like this stuff. It's fairly smooth, has some interesting flavors (that I can't explain at all), and over all I'm happy with it.

For mixed drinks:
                                I mix drinks much like I cook. Toss stuff together I think might be tasty and then eat/drink it. I like most combinations I do, rarely do I expect other people to like them (and, barring my mum, most people don't). The 2 I have been making recently are:

Chocolate milk w/ spiced rum (Sailor Jerry's)
                                Equal parts milk and cream, a good bit of chocolate syrup (yah, it's Hershey's), and a good shot of the Sailor Jerry's. All shaken over ice. It's frothy, sweet with out being overly so, and the rum adds a lot of good flavor to it (primarily vanilla). Basically it's what I make when I want dessert, but don't feel like icecream.

Lemongrass, mint, ginger soda
                                My brother bought me some Lemongrass and Mint infusers and I have been pondering what to do with them.
                                Infusing Canton (ginger/brandy liquor, one of my favorite things on earth), and then that w/ soda water and ice. The Canton was the only thing I could think of that would mix well with lemongrass and ginger (that I have in the house). It's kinda mojito-ish, and again, something nice and light to go with food.

Oh, and Ginger Ale and Whiskey. Some one foisted one (well, 2) of these on a con recently and it was damn good. My GF is not a fan of Whiskey (at least not anywhere near straight), so I mixed in a bit of canton and some ginger syrup I had on hand. It was horribly sweet, but she enjoyed it so that's all that really matters for me.

Umm, yah

</ramble>

Comment

Working...
                                X