Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 22 years old and do not have a license nor do I see myself getting one in the future. Just felt the need to throw that out there.

As for the 'Do you believe in God' little bit of suckage. "yes. However I do not presume to know him because I've read one unauthorized biography."
    Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

Quoth shankyknitter View Post

As for the 'Do you believe in God' little bit of suckage. "yes. However I do not presume to know him because I've read one unauthorized biography."
      OK I'm no reader of the Bible or anything but I LIKE that......an unauthorized biography......hmmmm.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I would love to be able to walk to work - unfortunately, it's about 20kms away so that's out. Can't bike coz the drivers here would kill me within 5 kms of cycling *sigh*. ONE DAY, I will be able to walk to work!!!!

And that nurse was an asshat. Seriously, she must've skipped school when they covered bedside manner.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I didn't have a car when I was in college, so I walked everywhere. I even walked to the mall on weekends, even though it was about 3 miles away or so. I think it took me about 45 minutes.

My wife didn't start driving until she was 29. She lived in the city, and could get everywhere she needed to go by walking or taking the bus. But once she moved in with me, she had to learn to drive because bus service in this area sucks.

Quoth dog_mu View Post
          I'm 53, and I've never learned how to drive, and at this point I'm never going to learn.
          One of my coworkers is about your age, and he doesn't drive either. I don't know if he's never driven, but he's been with the company for about 20 years (I've been there about a year longer), and he hasn't driven that whole time. He lives in an apartment complex that's just a short walk to our job.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            I would want to move to new york for stuff like the Dakota and central park but that's just me
            I'd want to move to New York for their wonderful theater and museums. And their excellent bagels and pizza!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

May I steal permanently borrow this for a facebook status?
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                May I steal permanently borrow this for a facebook status?
                I like that idea....I might want to to please

Comment

Feel free to steal it anyone who wants it. It's kind of my comeback for "What? you're not a christian?! Don't you know you're going to (insert place) for (insert sin)?!" If you do steal it kindly attribute it please.
                  Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

I'll give you the credit.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth dog_mu View Post
                      I'm 53, and I've never learned how to drive, and at this point I'm never going to learn.
                      Unless you have a disability that specifically bars you from driving, there's no reason you can't. My father was a driving instructor, and has taught many, many older people how to drive. And I'm talking 70s, 80s, 90s. 53 is no problem at all.

When they got a driving school, they eventually modified one car so that it could be used by the physically disabled. If you didn't have both hands and both feet, no problem - there was probably a configuration of that car that would work for you. And while you were learning, the occupational therapist and the car-modifier who made the mods for our car could collaborate on making your own car just right for you.

Anyway... my point is just that you can if you want to. Age is not a barrier.

(Disability can be. I don't drive, and won't except in a sufficiently dire emergency. My own disabilities make me unsafe.)
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Unless you have a disability that specifically bars you from driving, there's no reason you can't.
                        For me it's more of a crippling fear than a disability. (I know you were responding to another poster, but I'm just saying)

I figure some people have a fear of flying. Flying is not a necessary function of life unless you're planning to go overseas or you can't get through Canada to get to Alaska. Driving is the same thing in my eyes.

I've walked fourteen miles round trip after working on my feet for eight hours and it didn't kill me. I'll probably walk to my own funeral.

Comment

There are many reason why I don't drive. Fear is a big one.....it scares the crap outta me. Cost is another, it's just way to expensive. I'm so used to just riding with others and zoning out ...like on a bus or train or whatever that it works for me.

Comment

I don't drive for a very good reason. I lack depth perception. Six inches or six yards, it's the same to me.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I never learned to drive either, and I won't bother at this point. I'm jumpy enough as a passenger; as a driver...bad idea. Besides, my eyes aren't that great even with glasses.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

How odd, a pyschiatric nurse referring to someone choosing not to drive a car or get a licence as "insanity".

In the UK this is not as unusual- public transport is much more widely used, and the cost of running a car is more expensive here too. It boggled my mind to discover suburban parts of the US that actually have no pavements/sidewalks. In my fiance's hometown, there is only one bus service. In mine, I don't even know how many there are, there are just that many!

Nate, I don't know what mental health issues you may have/had, but in fact, chances are, your walking everywhere has probably been more beneficial to your wellbeing. Not only are you getting exercise, but exercise releases endorphins naturally into the system and can be very beneficial for problems such as depression Someone has obviously not told your nurse. ^^;;

Comment

Working...
                                X