Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's wrong with this picture? (CAUTION! Female stuff!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with this picture? (CAUTION! Female stuff!)

Some of these stories about pregnancy reminded me of this story. It was a small thing, but ...

I was having some minor surgery. I had to go to the hospital the day before to have blood drawn, etc.

Nurse: Have you ever had surgey before?
    Me: I had my tubes tied ten years ago.

-- a few more questions --

Nurse: Okay, I need a urine sample. Here's a cup and you can use the restroom here.
    Me: (embarrassed) Oh, gee. I just started my period and I'm really bleeding a lot. Can you note that on the cup so they don't return it as abnormal if there's blood in my urine?
    Nurse: (dismissively) Oh, it's just for a pregnancy test.

Me: Thinks WTF? I just told you that I was (1) sterilized and (2) actively un-pregnant!
    Women can do anything men can.
    But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
    Maxine

The second fact is definitely a fail on her part. The first, not so much, it's rare, but women have become pregnant years after having their tubes tied.

I've had both of my ovaries removed due to benign tumors and I still have to give the pg test urine sample whenever I go to the OBGYN, and this is the dr that did the surgeries.

My mom's had a complete hysterectomy and is in her early 60s and her gyno still does the test on her, too.

Seems like a waste of tests to me.
    Last edited by 42_42_42; 04-29-2011, 01:02 AM.
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I had to take one yesterday to get my IUD. Now in case you didn't know they make you go in when you're menstruating to get it IUD. The nurse told me to go pee in the cup for the pregnancy test and I gave her a look and she went "I know, I know it's dumb as hell we know you're not pregnant, now just go pee so we can mark you negative already!"
      Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

It's also possible to "spot" when you're pregnant. From what I understand, it's not a good sign. My mom had that happen when she was pregnant with me, and especially since she miscarried her first baby, they kept a close eye on her until I was born.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Yeahhhh...It's silly, and I can see that people wouldn't like getting charged for the service, but it's probably standard for every woman. I suppose there's the smmaaalllest chance that you can still get pregnant after certain procedures, better safe than sorry.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

My brother and I are both 'miracle babies'. Apparently my mother's tubes were so blocked she should have been infertile.

Two kids later....
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              My brother and I are both 'miracle babies'. Apparently my mother's tubes were so blocked she should have been infertile.

Two kids later....
              Yup, me too. Mom supposedly had calcified ovaries and wasn't supposed to get pregnant, either.

Here I am!
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Mommy was on the Pill when she got pregnant with me and Lizziebeff.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

A woman I worked with some years back had a period, not just just spotting but a period, for the first five months when she was pregnant with her last child.
                  Her doctor kept insisting that because of that, she couldn't be pregnant - until the baby kicked the stethoscope out of his hand during an examination.
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I had bleeding that was like a period for the first few months of my pregnancy with my fourth. I already knew I was pregnant though. The morning sickness that lasted for months was a good clue.

I also had a friend that had regular period like bleeding during her pregnancies with all 3 of her kids. She didn't find out she was pregnant with her first until she was 5 months pregnant because of that.

Mind you, we both also joke that her 11 year old is a tumor and my 6 year old is a UTI/figment of my imagination because that's what the doctors told us before we found out we were pregnant.

Comment

My mom didn't go that far. She seemed to believe that the sheer power of, "Not having another child." was enough to keep her from getting pregnant. Then my sister came along...

Comment

One of my friends mom got pregnant after having her tubes done. Apparently it wasn't done right and it healed itself.

Caused a huge scandal with her in-laws, some said she only pretended to have it done so she could trick her hubby into having another baby. They only backed off when she got proof and an apology from the hospital.
                        "Honestly officer, he asked for a shot and I gave him one. Why do you need the handcuffs?" - MannersMakethMan

Comment

My mom had some bleeding with her pregnancies. Had four healthy kids.

But giving someone who had a hysterectomy a pregnancy test? Where would they be carrying a baby...in a back pocket??
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Sometimes I think the doctor's staff just get into a rote pattern and don't look at the patient's record before doing the standard practice of doing certain tests. Realistically, neither my mom nor I should ever have to prove we're not pregnant as neither of us can get pregnant (okay, I could go to a doctor and get a donor embryo emplanted, but I'd remember doing that) after having some or all of the required bits removed.

As for birth control, my sister has had 5 pregnancies and 4 children. Four were all conceived whilst she was on some form of BC. Child 2 was conceived while she was on the pill and breastfeeding child 1. Child 3 and Child 4 while she was on the shot and the 5th pregnancy (ectopic, so didn't result in a child) while using condoms and spermacidal foam. So, BC isn't exactly 100%....
                            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

A friend of mine from #callahans was repeatedly told she had a bladder infection. She already was very overweight (thyroid issues), has fibromyalgia and PCOS, and her time of the month is very irregular to begin with. She was in so much pain one night, she was rushed to the hospital... and ended up giving birth to a baby boy.

The doctors involved did get sued. Not sure if she won, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X