Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just HOW did you get through nursing school?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Raveni View Post

Me: It probably also says in her file that my wife had her tubes tied at your hospital. You might want to ask a doctor from another hospital what that means for your chances for a return visit.

EDIT:
    I suddenly remember why I also had a vasectomy. With an outpaitent office of a different hospital.
    Um, I would love to point out that I had my first tubal ligation done at Strong Memorial Hospital in 1983, and my tubes *removed and cauterized* at Yale-New Haven in 1996.

See, the Navy back then had this habit of giving every female that walked in a pregnancy test ... and I got this phone call a day after I did a walk in appointment for strep throat ... and the first words out of my mouth to the poor little lab tech guy were [and I quote] You have got to be fing kidding me, I had my fing tubes tied more than 10 years ago.

I had a proteus infection postoperatively that popped the scar and band on the left tube, and since I never had fertility problems, the obvious happened. I would personally prefer to be one of the *other* type of 1 percent ... money rather than pregnant
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
      One of the doctors yesterday INSISTED he needed a pregnancy test on a lesbian. "But she has an STD!" Yes, lesbians can get those too, but they generally don't get pregnant.
      Sexual orientation is not enough to get you a bye on a pregnancy test. Some lesbians decide to have sex with men in order to get pregnant, but don't inform their partners (I've seen it happen), or are actually bi and don't tell their partner (because they're cheating on the female partner with a male partner) or some other such issue pops up.

If you're female, of childbearing age, and you have all your parts, you need a pregnancy test.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        I had a proteus infection postoperatively that popped the scar and band on the left tube, and since I never had fertility problems, the obvious happened. I would personally prefer to be one of the *other* type of 1 percent ... money rather than pregnant
        Again, I'll chaulk this up to "why I had no problem being laid out upside-down (so that the blood would go to my head) on a table in front of a class of med students and had a vesactomy even though my wife had her tubes tied"

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
          Sadly, there's one justification there...if it comes up "positive" that's a marker for a type of cancer. Quick and dirty test...
          Um, generally for MTF transsexuals, the new "vagina" is made from skin taken from other areas of the body. Sometimes it's the skin from the existing genitalia, other times it's skin taken from the hips, thighs or colon.

A Pap Smear checks for cervical cancer, not for any other forms of cancer. There is an adaption of it called an anal Pap Smear, typically used if you've had anal sex. So that would be the ONLY "pap" smear that a MTF transsexual would've needed. A transsexual does not have a cervix (unless they're FTM and chose to keep it).
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            Um, generally for MTF transsexuals, the new "vagina" is made from skin taken from other areas of the body. Sometimes it's the skin from the existing genitalia, other times it's skin taken from the hips, thighs or colon.

A Pap Smear checks for cervical cancer, not for any other forms of cancer. There is an adaption of it called an anal Pap Smear, typically used if you've had anal sex. So that would be the ONLY "pap" smear that a MTF transsexual would've needed. A transsexual does not have a cervix (unless they're FTM and chose to keep it).
            They were talking about a pregnancy test, not a Pap smear

Comment

Huh. I went into the ER a few years ago for an acute gallbladder test. That damn thing was on fire. The ER doc said we need a pregnancy test for you. I was like "wtf?" Because I had not had sex for over 6 months, and by then I'd know. My cycles were fine. The doc kind of hinted that if I didn't do the pregnancy test, I'd not be helped.

And after I peed in the cup, Nursing Student et al comes in with a stick in the cup saying "Negative!"
              All I was thinking is "jesus don't you think I know my own damn body? I can recite all my meds and the dosages and what they're all for! And all my surgeries/issues and such, don'tcha think I'd know!!!!"

BTW the painkiller above morphine is the one that worked. Oh. And the operating table was more of a slab, like, 2' or 30" wide. Cold. I passed out happily.
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                The ER doc said we need a pregnancy test for you. I was like "wtf?" Because I had not had sex for over 6 months, and by then I'd know.
                All I was thinking is "jesus don't you think I know my own damn body?
                you may know your body, but the ER doc doesn't know you, and has likely run into at least one or two "I've never had sex in my life!" females that are in active labor coming in for treatment of a "stomach ache"*. Also there are rare forms of cancer that will cause a positive pregnancy test, and those don't require sexual activity to develop. If you were pregnant or had one of those types of cancer, and the ER doc didn't have a negative test on file, anything going wrong would be his fault, as it would be considered medically negligent.

*seriously they've had enough women do this that there's a show about it.
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt

you may know your body, but the ER doc doesn't know you, and has likely run into at least one or two "I've never had sex in my life!" females that are in active labor coming in for treatment of a "stomach ache"*.

*seriously they've had enough women do this that there's a show about it.
                  Are you referring to the show 'I didn't know I was pregnant'?
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings

My mom could have been on there... Found out that she was pregnant while in labor. Got that stopped and I still came 29 days later at 12 weeks early.

Comment

My usual answer used to be 'only if the IUD has failed'.

For whatever reason, it never failed to get a laugh. Especially when I could tell them what type, and how long it had been in for, and when I'd last checked for the strings.

Having 'listened' to this forum, I now get the idea that the laugh was a kind of 'thank god we finally have one who knows how to look after herself'.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                        And after I peed in the cup, Nursing Student et al comes in with a stick in the cup saying "Negative!"
                        All I was thinking is "jesus don't you think I know my own damn body? I can recite all my meds and the dosages and what they're all for! And all my surgeries/issues and such, don'tcha think I'd know!!!!"

BTW the painkiller above morphine is the one that worked. Oh. And the operating table was more of a slab, like, 2' or 30" wide. Cold. I passed out happily.
                        Glad you're feeling better. I had gallbladder problems as well; boy it hurt.

But the bottom line is, I can never, ever, ever take a woman's word for it that she is not pregnant.

Sometimes women lie.

Sometimes their BC fails.

Whatever, the reason, it's just too risky. No doc or nurse will take that chance. Sorry.

Case in point:

I once cared for a morbidly obese woman who came into our ER in the middle of the night with abdominal pain, severe, that woke her in the middle of the night. As part of the physical exam, the ER doc did a pelvic exam. Patient assured us she was not pregnant, and she was in such severe pain the doc delayed the pregnancy test to do the physical exam.

That's when he felt the contractions. When he looked into the vagina he gasped and said, "She's 5 cm dilated and 75% effaced."

Patient says, "I'm not pregnant. I'm just fat."

Doc: Ma'am, you are pregnant and you are in labor. We're transferring you to L&D.

So I go to call the BF. He says, "She's not pregnant, she's just fat."

Two hours later she delivered a healthy baby boy.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Wow, someone had to go right by the book, didn't they!?
                          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Ok,ok ok. I can see why a pg test is protocol. Yes, people will lie cheat and steal from doctors. Am I an anomaly, going in for acute gallbladder, knowing what's happening and my body? And o m g that pain was intense. Very intense. I think it's equal to long term tooth pain. Both suck.

Would I still have to have a pg test now? I've been sterilized/tubes tied. I have the scars for it Would my word be enough? I'll just come in with a nun/habit

BTW the gallbladder has been removed and is now somewhere else.
                            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                              This is seriously one of the scariest shows on television.

Half of the cases are scary because the women/girls should have known they were at risk to get pregnant... it makes me sad to see how poorly educated women are in regards to their bodies.

The other half are scary because they are cases where yes, the woman was sexually active, but had no symptoms of being pregnant until she went into labor. Terrifies me!

Comment

It's a CYA for them. If they hadn't given one and had a medication administered that caused birth defects they could be sued. It's a test that takes a few minutes but can have life long effect. I know what is going on with my body, but I also have no problem taking a test when asked. Just don't yell at me when I tell you to expect blood in it and there is some there...lol

Even if you have had your tubes tied they will probably do one as that surgery is not 100%.

Comment

Working...
                                X