Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just HOW did you get through nursing school?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth NotAlBundy

This is seriously one of the scariest shows on television.

Half of the cases are scary because the women/girls should have known they were at risk to get pregnant... it makes me sad to see how poorly educated women are in regards to their bodies.

The other half are scary because they are cases where yes, the woman was sexually active, but had no symptoms of being pregnant until she went into labor. Terrifies me!
    Yeah. There's a reason when I became sexually active I went on birth control. Granted I know it's not 100% guaranteed. And I actually freaked myself out thinking I was pregnant. What did I do? Took a home pregnancy test. Negative, of course. If I went to the ER right now and they told me I needed to take a pregnancy test I would just to humor them and cover all the bases. But given the fact it's been over a year... Yeah. Not pregnant but I know they have to do their jobs.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
      Would I still have to have a pg test now? I've been sterilized/tubes tied. I have the scars for it Would my word be enough? I'll just come in with a nun/habit

BTW the gallbladder has been removed and is now somewhere else.
      If you still have your ovaries, you can still get pregnant.

Ya gotta understand, the sperm is the smallest cell in the human body, and it MOVES

And we all know what they say about Catholic* girls, so I'm not sure I'd buy the habit.

Disclaimer: I'm Catholic
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
        They were talking about a pregnancy test, not a Pap smear
        oops, that'll teach me to post without having had coffee!
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
          Would I still have to have a pg test now? I've been sterilized/tubes tied. I have the scars for it Would my word be enough?
          I still get them over 10 years after my tubal, and they totally removed the tubes, at my request.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Mom did have a nurse ask her if she could be pregnant. She'd just had a full hysterectomy a year earlier so of course, my mom, being ever the pain in the butt. "Not unless a miracle occurred." She then explained why.

My husband was getting the flu shot and apparently the poor worker at the mass shots clinic was clearly on auto. She asked HIM if there was any chance he could be pregnant or nursing. Without missing a beat, he responded with a smile, "If there was, I'd be really rich right now." She blinked a moment, realized what she'd asked and then started laughing.

Never had problems taking a wizz quiz for pregnancy. It's part of the procedure and I'm cool with it. Just right now.. is it really necessary? Unless you're doing a hormone level check, that is? Yes, I'm very preggers. Just get the doppler and listen! Or... you know what, just point me to the bathroom. If you want the sample that badly, I'll give it. He just kicked my bladder.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
              Ok,ok ok. I can see why a pg test is protocol. Yes, people will lie cheat and steal from doctors. Am I an anomaly, going in for acute gallbladder, knowing what's happening and my body? And o m g that pain was intense. Very intense. I think it's equal to long term tooth pain. Both suck.

Would I still have to have a pg test now? I've been sterilized/tubes tied. I have the scars for it Would my word be enough? I'll just come in with a nun/habit

BTW the gallbladder has been removed and is now somewhere else.

Glad you're feeling better. And I agree ... I'm 55 years old, haven't had sex in 9 years. WTF do I still have to take a pregnancy test??

But as far as the nurse being on autopilot ...

Way back "in the old days" I was in active labor with my son. Checked into L&D, nurse going through the checklist of questions to ask. Her question? "Is there any chance you could be pregnant?" I'm like "ya think?????" She laughed and moved on.

Comment

I'm an OB/GYN coder and I've been surprised sometimes at how late in pregnancy I've seen urine pregnancy tests done.

Usually we only do one on their first OB visit or to confirm they've had an "abortion" (interesting tidbit, anytime you lose a baby before 22 weeks, it's technically called an abortion, and further divided into spontaneous, legal, illegal, missed, etc...just to clarify and not start a big debate...lol). To confirm they've lost the baby though we usually do a blood HCG. I've seen some sad stuff in that arena too

I've seen pregnancy tests as late as 23 weeks or so, just because it was their first visit.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                  Um, generally for MTF transsexuals, the new "vagina" is made from skin taken from other areas of the body. Sometimes it's the skin from the existing genitalia, other times it's skin taken from the hips, thighs or colon.

A Pap Smear checks for cervical cancer, not for any other forms of cancer. There is an adaption of it called an anal Pap Smear, typically used if you've had anal sex. So that would be the ONLY "pap" smear that a MTF transsexual would've needed. A transsexual does not have a cervix (unless they're FTM and chose to keep it).
                  I know that. What I was talking about was completely different. One of the glands genetic males have also will start cranking out female hormones when a certain sort of cancer is present. I'm blanking on which, but I want to say adrenals.

That causes a false result on a pregnancy test, including for males, MtF, nuns, children, and anyone else unlucky enough to be stricken with that particular form of cancer.
                  Last edited by Fire_on_High; 09-13-2012, 05:34 AM. Reason: And that will teach me to fire off before catching COMPLETELY up
                  "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                  - H. Beam Piper

Comment

When I was in labor with my fourth kidney stone, triage was quick and easy. Went to the desk, told the nurse I was having a stone, pain in my right abdomen and flank, nausia, etc etc. They got me into a room with a lovely morphine/compazine drip (I tell ya, the relief of going from such intense pain to almost suddenly NOTHING is miraculous.) and ready to get down to business, which includes a cat scan.

Problem: I've got cotton mouth from the drugs. I can't have water until they know if I need surgery right away. Won't know if I need surgery until the cat scan is done. Can't have the cat scan until the pregnancy test comes back. Can't do the pregnancy test, because I'm dry as a bone and can't give them anything. Can't rehydrate cuz I can't have water...

So I'm miserable, and everyone is very nice about it, but firm. I know they can't take my word for it that if I'm pregnant, it's the baby Jesus coming, and if baby Jesus IS coming, he's not going to let a lil cat scan bother him. Eventually they got me the form to sign swearing that if I AM pregnant, and the cat scan messes up the baby, it's not their fault. Signed it and got my treatment under way. A week and two surgical procedures later, I delivered a healthy collection of pulverized stone.
                    My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

I'm like "ya think?????"
                      I'm imagining Gibbs saying that now.

(and yes, i'm also imagining a pregnant gibbs too... )
                      *ow*.... i think i just got slapped in the back of the head...
                      Last edited by PepperElf; 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                        Sexual orientation is not enough to get you a bye on a pregnancy test. Some lesbians decide to have sex with men in order to get pregnant, but don't inform their partners (I've seen it happen), or are actually bi and don't tell their partner (because they're cheating on the female partner with a male partner) or some other such issue pops up.
                        Also....a lot of lesbian couples do in vitro to get pregnant now. Lots of them want children the most natural way they can.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                          I know that. What I was talking about was completely different. One of the glands genetic males have also will start cranking out female hormones when a certain sort of cancer is present. I'm blanking on which, but I want to say adrenals.

That causes a false result on a pregnancy test, including for males, MtF, nuns, children, and anyone else unlucky enough to be stricken with that particular form of cancer.
                          i remember back in human sexuality class, learning that some tumors actually make you pop positive on a pregnancy test. is that the one you're talking about?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            I'm imagining Gibbs saying that now.

(and yes, i'm also imagining a pregnant gibbs too... )
                            *ow*.... i think i just got slapped in the back of the head...
                            Hmm I think I've read that fic
                            As soon as I start thinking
                            That I'm sensible and sane
                            The Random Hedgehog comes along
                            And fiddles with my Brain
                            (from card I got)

Comment

Quoth Lady Legira View Post
                              Hmm I think I've read that fic
                              I read one once where all the he's were she's and vice versa. Abby....was interesting.

Comment

o my. i may have to check that out. creepy and weird don't bother me. not in fanfic at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X