Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before my first born, my cycle would be about as predictable as.. well, it wasn't. I could have periods one week a part or four weeks. While pain didn't have me falling over into a coma, the migraines I get right before starting would. And I had one day of moderate, then 5 days heavy and one light. By heavy, I mean, I could blow out extreme or overnight pads in a 4 hours, two on the ones with four weeks a part.

The first time I started, my thought was, "Oh, let me go into menopause now, please!" My Gyn at the time put me on birth control to help regulate it.. Oh, it was much easier when I could predict when I'd need my migraine meds and when I'd turn into a complete bitch. Oh, did I mention THAT side effect? I didn't? Oh, yes, my cycle was such that I would break down into tears or rage at the drop of a pin and with no reason at all! I hated it, because I had no control until the BC kicked in.

Now, after the first kiddo and gaining some weight, my periods have become more regular, less volatile and while I get migraines, the periods themselves are sensible. The mood swings are down to minor irritation, a bit snappish, but nothing like before. Now, if I could convince my OB/Gyn that it'd be a good idea to give me a partial hysterectomy...
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Regular Midol contains caffeine. Guess what caffeine does? Yup! It makes cramps worse. An NSAID, such as ibuprofin (Advil/Motrin) or naproxen sodium (Aleve) or muscle relaxer works better for cramps. I find a hot water bottle or heating pad also helps a lot. Try to consume as little caffeine and salt during your menses as possible (smoking also makes cramps worse) and make sure to drink plenty of water and consume iron-rich foods, especially if you experience heavy bleeding.

That being said, if you're experiencing cramps or heavy flow to the point that it is really interfering with your life (and from what you said in the OP, you are), you really should see your doc and explain what's going on. In addition to the possibility of using birth control to help make your monthly's less of a torture, they'll conduct tests to make sure there's not something bad going on that's causing the problems.
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Oh, Mother of All the Gods . . . Oh, I understand the pain, indeed I do.

I started having periods at age nine. No, that's not a typo. I have had cramps so bad you could see the movement of the uterus through my clothes. I have passed clots as large as my thumb. I have had pain that dropped me to the floor and made it quite literally impossible to move; as in, the muscles of my legs refused to function. I have had cycles as short as a week between flows and as long as nine weeks between, that lasted four days and that lasted eighteen. I have soaked a super-plus tampon in twenty minutes.

And my mother, who never had a cramp in her life, did not believe any of it. Nor did my (male) doctors, at least until attitudes started to change in the eighties.

And no, being a virgin doesn't make any difference; I had two husbands, a tubal ligation, and a miscarriage, and none of it changed the pain.

The pill was the greatest blessing ever created, until I found ibuprofen. Those and heat are the only things that ever helped at all.

Some women regret menopause. For me, it was salvation.

All that said, doctors understand better now. They're much more likely to take you seriously than any of mine did when I was young. Go see your doctor.
        Last edited by morgana; 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM. Reason: Go see your doctor.

Comment

It's funny how having kids can change your cycle. When I was in high school I had cramps so bad I would rock back and forth and cry with pain. And it always started in the middle of the night. Once I had kids it got a lot better. Now that I'm approaching menopause and it's been almost 16 years since the last kid they are starting to get bad again. Not with the cramps so much but the PMS part. Boobs hurt beyond belief, I feel like crap, I eat like a pig cause I'm always hungry, etc. And they are still heavy as fuck.

Menopause can come ANY TIME NOW! I welcome it. I've been dealing with it for 34 years and I'm over it.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            It's funny how having kids can change your cycle. *snip* Menopause can come ANY TIME NOW! I welcome it. I've been dealing with it for 34 years and I'm over it.
            It's interesting how things just change over time. I've no kids, but my school experience sounds similar to yours. Although not middle of the night, almost always around 11am, it's the only civilised thing it does. :-)
            It's a lot better now. I'm still PMSing, and ocasionally boobs feel like sore drumskins, and I'm looking forward to the menopause. Every other one is insanely heavy, but the alternate one is so light now it dosn't slow me down at all.
            There's also a nice known side affect of stress, I can get so stressed I have no period for months, which if everything is chaos, it's nice to not have to deal with that as well! :-)
            To the OP, yes, please do go to your doc, the pill and other things can help.

Comment

Update: My mother booked an appointment for me to see my doctor for this and for a physical. It's next month, so I just might be able to show my "ow" to my doctor. Hopefully, she'll help.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                Update: My mother booked an appointment for me to see my doctor for this and for a physical. It's next month, so I just might be able to show my "ow" to my doctor. Hopefully, she'll help.
                Good luck!
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                  Good luck!
                  Thanks for your support!
                  cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Ever since I first got my period the cramps have been VERY painful, the second day always being the worst. They would last through out the morning for 3-4 days, nothing would work so I just deal with it. And the bleeding totally sucks, I have to use heavy duty overnights. I really freaked out Bill the last time, I told him he didn't have to worry that I was fine.
                    ......../\
                    ....../__\
                    ..../\...../\
                    ../__\../__\

Comment

I have maybe one "ow" a year. It starts as persistent cramping that just doesn't go away. It's not severe, but it doesn't respond to meds (nothing OTC anyway, never tried anything stronger) and it just DOES NOT STOP and becomes extremely distracting.

I know how to stop it now, though - heating pad set to high for as long as it takes for it to feel like someone has knifed me, once, from the inside, and then my period starts and all is good again.

Comment

Wow, I'm beginning to think that maybe mine aren't that bad, after all... just really unpredictable sometimes. When my mom was in the hospital last month, it was really really late and when it finally came, it was so painful that I actually borrowed my husband's vicodin to help enough to function. Usually I can't handle vicodin but this time not only was I able to keep it down, but I actually did some really weird stuff that I don't remember...

I got an app for my phone that will help me track my periods, so I can prove to my new doc that I'm all over the place with my menses. Hoping I can talk him into getting rid of the whole shooting match... so tired of dealing with them and I'm too high-risk for hormones.

That reminds me... I need to post about my mom's hospital stay.

Comment

When I was younger I'd always have one or two days where I just wanted to stay in bed. I would take painkillers so that I could sleep rather than just lying there in pain. I'd skip classes at university, because the alternative was sitting there with my head on my desk and not being able to concentrate.

Over the last year or two, things have... slowed down. I don't always notice when my period starts (I used to wake up with cramps if it happened overnight), I go to work and forget that it's happening. They're shorter too, over and done in 4-5 days rather than then 7 I used to get. (Fortunately, while it's been 7 days long, it's been 7 out of 34 days rather than 28!) I turned 35 this spring, and it's unlikely to be premenopause yet, because my mother didn't hit that until her mid-forties.

I wonder if it's just that my life has become more stable and settled, and less stressful. I've been living aboveground rather than in a basement, and have been living with my husband (boyfriend at the time).

Comment

Update: I got back from my doctor. She told me to take ibuprofen instead of Midol, which I did just after I got back home.
                            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Update again: The ibuprofen helped a lot! I no longer feel the need for an epidural anymore!

Hopefully, all will be well again!
                              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Glad that has helped!
                                Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                                Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Working...
                                X