This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one thing I can't stand (prank calls)

I take my job very seriously. I like to think I am professional with a comfortable light-heartedness working at a hotel.

I take quite a few calls at night. The majority are normal. Every now and again I recieve: the dreaded prank call.

I don't understand it. Don't people have better things to do? I think out of my 6 years I have maybe recieved 2 calls from obvious kids. Most of the time, I swear, it's adults who've had too many beers and for reason reverted back into the "I dare you..." stage again.

First couple weeks I worked the night shift, I had the perv. Perv would call in around 2-4am and ask whoever answered what kind of underwear they were wearing. Actually, he would milk ya in. He would start with, "Hi how are you." And some other nicities like it would be a normal (although early) call. ew

Now I have a fear that someone will be calling in with legitimate, but odd, questions and I will take it as a prank so I tend to have to stay in the call to make sure. I have, in the beginning, asked people calling if they were serious. The answer was often yes. I get crazy, real calls.

So tonight I get what I believe was a prank call:
    CS: lord, do you have anything else better to do or are you actually a real crazy person????
    Me: why me

Me: speal
    CS: (this person had a accent that made it sound like the guest's first language wasn't English, but more of a African dialect & it was broken in some areas as if they were searching for the correct word, so there are actually pauses often inbetween most words which I will not note. I have no problem with this, because they clearly understant me.)*says nothing for a second then I hear, "Uh yes hello?"
    Me: *repeast speal*
    CS: um oh yes please I would like to know if you have rooms tonight (enter someone standing in front of me)
    Me: Yes, we do. May I put you on hold for a moment?
    CS: oh yes
    Me: Thank you
    (Proceed to get person taken care of, other people come in to check-in. It takes me an unusally long time to get back to the hold, but I finally do)
    Me: I appologize for the wait. What kind of room are you looking for?
    CS: Let's see, I was just kicked out of the Mission (aka Montana Rescue Mission I assumed, which houses people who are homeless or have another similar need) for getting into a fight so I need a room. How much do your rooms cost?
    (I will be honest. This was questionable. Someone who would need to stay at the Mission would NEVER be able to afford our hotel...like ever. If they could, they have no problems. I smell a setup. I quote the full rate rather then the sell rate I was giving people for the night)
    Me: Our rooms are 129+tax per night.
    CS: Oh yes well that is the lowest rate? You do not have a rate for people from the Mission?
    Me: (from the mission?? what? I tell myself to be nice.) I am sorry, no we don't.
    CS: You don't have any discounts for me at all?
    Me: If you have AAA, we do have that discount.
    CS: And what is that, this AAA?
    Me: In order to recieve that discount you need to carry the AAA card and show it to me upon check-in.
    CS: I see. blaa bllaa card blaa (wasn't sure what they said)
    Me: I am sorry?
    CS: Well, what has to be on the card?
    Me: ??? Well, you have to have a AAA membership to have a card. (I hadn't decided this was over yet because some people really, truly have no idea what AAA is) If you had one, you would know what it is.
    CS: So you just need a card that says AAA?
    Me: You have to have a card that is Certified AAA.
    CS: What does it mean to be certified AAA?
    Me: (By this time, the accent had waned a great deal. I could hear clear "scoff" like laughing the background. The questions had gotten more & more rediculous. But, I wanted to cover my butt. My defense just in case: hotels tend to have the right to refurse service to anyone.) I am sorry, I can not continue this conversation any longer. Have a nice day. *click*

Now, out of caution, I asked my security guy to please come and hang out for a bit just in case some crazed excaped patient decided I was the devil for my inobediance & came to murder me.

No one showed up.

Now, my other worry is I have some friends who are...well immature jobless losers. I have warned them all that I take my job seriously. If they show up being rude, they will be asked to go in a not happy thehippie777 way. Same goes for if they call & pull something like this phone call. I don't put up with it. I am odd, I have a job & hang onto it. They all think I am far too uptight...well at work.

I hate hate hate prank calls.
    Last edited by thehippie777; 06-15-2008, 06:43 AM.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

so hippy, is you're refrigerator running?
    *ducks*
    sorry couldn't resist...
    but seriously I agree with you, I hate prank calls.
    my worst was a guy calling in saying he needed a hotel in africa because he wanted to go (word that rhymes with bigger) hunting
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
      so hippy, is you're refrigerator running?
      *ducks*
      sorry couldn't resist...
      but seriously I agree with you, I hate prank calls.
      my worst was a guy calling in saying he needed a hotel in africa because he wanted to go (word that rhymes with bigger) hunting
      hahah yeah thanks

Um wow. At least the excuse of him being inapporpriate would qualify lol
      When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

heck we get the prank calls during the summer, Xmas break and spring break from the 8 - 10 YO ALL the time. most are just hangups but some try to carry the "joke: a little too far like giving their phone number as 666-6666.

as with Hippie I just do not have time for these "childern" and hang up not caring if the supposed "customer" get mad or not.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I've only had two prank calls in my 3 years. The first one was in New Mexico. I thought the call was legit because they asked if the "Gay from last week" was there. G, my shift relief, had just come on shift so I said yes and pawned the call into him. He starts laughing and tells me that the guy on the phone wanted to do some pretty R rated things to him, he said sure, I'll meet you in the desert at midnight and hung up.

Where in the desert? I dunno, he never said and since he had just got on shift at 11pm, he wasn't likely to go.

The second one was more recent, that I already posted about on another thread. I thought it was funny and was hoping they'd call back but they never did.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

And I got another one! This time a "female"? It sounded like the same person trying to be an older female who smoked a bit much. Wanted to know about our breakfast (okay sure...at 250am???). Then "she" started freaking out after she asked about the silverware we provide. It's plastic. Well, this person claimed they would end up biting a piece off and choking on it. At this point I asked, "Is this a serious phone call?" They resonded with, "uh... I think it's serious. But I can call back another time and let you get back to your work..." I hung up. What the hell???????

Make it stop!!!

Comment

When I worked pizza and in the call center, I had a few pranks. It was fun when we had call ID and could read back their phone number AND address and threaten to inform parents/police of their activities. I told one kid that I might just call back when his parents were home, and he apologized profusely, BEGGED me not to tell his mom, and offered to pay me if I kept quiet.

I always liked the "what kind of underwear are you wearing" callers. They could be fun, especially considering that I'm a guy, and I'm not sure that all of them realized it before blurting out their question. Most, I think, are either trying to be creepy just for the thrill of it or are just too cheap to call one of those 900 numbers. In any case, my responses to that question were usually one of these:

(the first was only for the pizza shop; the rest I used in a call center)
              - I'm sorry, that's not a topping we offer. Would you like to order something else?
              - Phfffbbbbt. Underwear?! Who needs that?!
              - Well, they used to be tighty whities, but now...
              - (In a deep, "manly" tone) Pink. With lace. Bikini style.
              - (A former co-worker's favorite--she literally fell out of her chair laughing the first time I used it) Y'know, I seem to have forgotten. Let me put you on hold while I take them off and check.

I don't usually come up with stuff like that on the spot, but I was really proud of myself for those.
              I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
              - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
              - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post

I always liked the "what kind of underwear are you wearing" callers. .
                now I feel left out, I've never gotten the "what kind of underwear are you wearing" question ... I've had someone ask me to come upstairs and test the strength of the bed before
                that is the only time I've been grateful to be in CRS and not at the hotel.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

One of the temp jobs I had during this past year had a guy who would call in fairly regularly and burp really loud and really long when we answered. He would also play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on the keypad, hum tunelessly into the receiver, connect us with other houses and businesses around town, and make odd, grunting noises. This had been going on for 13 years. Neither the police nor the phone company would do anything about it.
                  My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
                    One of the temp jobs I had during this past year had a guy who would call in fairly regularly and burp really loud and really long when we answered.
                    I think if I ever took a call like that at work, I'd respond by farting into the receiver. Or try burp-talking to the caller.

Thing is, both of those would be hard to explain to management if caught.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                    X