This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully the last word on this...

All right, so I caved and went to the ER last night. I now have a new depression that stems from an epiphany, but for now, here's how it went:

First I tried to catch the cat again, since he was at my place, but just as I figured, he did NOT want to go back inside the carrier (not that I blame him, poor cat). I then tried cutting up an old plastic tub of mine to put him in, but that also met with failure. It's amazing how strong animals can be when they don't want to go somewhere. After about twenty minutes of this I conceded defeat and went then to the gas station, hoping to get what I wanted (a phone card and some more canned food to use as bait, just in case for the future), and I did. My poor checking account is as bruised as I am now.

I then went to the ER. Since it was so late by then (after midnight) the traffic was nonexistent. It's weird down here, how during the daytime it's so congested but then around 10, 11 at night, everybody suddenly vanishes and the streets are literally empty. I kind of like it like that, and it's easier to blow through the stoplights since they don't change as often.

Finding the hospital itself wasn't hard, I pass by it all the time if I'm going a certain direction on my way to the Mallwart. Finding the actual ER entrance itself, though, was a different story. That was due mainly to my own stupidity. I ended up walking a HUGE circle all around the grounds in order to get to it, only to find out after the visit that it was, ironically, not very far from where I'd parked. Yes, I am a moron. As you can imagine that in itself was freaking me out pretty badly.

Also due to the late hour, there was no waiting. I'd brought a book (Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows - oh, irony) just in case but never needed it. I signed in and they took all my vitals and information. My temperature was about normal (98.1) but I think my blood pressure was around 147/97. Normally it's around 120/80ish. I chalk this up to my long walk and general upset.

I was then led into a room by a nice guy whose name was Julian, I think. He was a cat lover too and showed me his big scar that wrapped around his forearm and wrist. His cat had been in heat, he wanted her to move off the bed so he tried picking her up, and boom, she lost it. Ouch. (His was considerably worse-looking than mine.)

Next came a nurse named Lisa. I repeated my story as I'd done with the others (I think I explained the whole thing about 5 or 6 times total, all these people) who'd seen me. She took a look and said that it didn't look bad at all (and really, it doesn't - I'll try to post pictures later when I'm at home) and she didn't think it was infected - or that there was much risk of rabies. (You have no idea how relieved I was to hear that.) She took down more information from me and then the doctor, whose badge read Physician Assistant, showed up. He also looked at it and corroborated the nurse's diagnosis. He said that if it had been a bat, skunk or raccoon, it would have been a different story and I'd probably have had to go the prophylaxis route (which is HELLA expensive, judging from what I've read/heard).

Both the doctor and Nurse Lisa agreed though that I should update my tetanus shot as a precaution, to which I readily agreed. Beats getting shot up for rabies, that's for damn sure. Evidently the recommendation for the tetanus vaccine is now once every 5 years, rather than the old standard of 5 - 10 years. Last time I got a shot for that was in October of 2005 when I got nipped by a dog at my then-job.

By now I'd calmed down (if the pros weren't worried, I figured that was a good sign, yes? I'd even shown them all the picture I'd taken of the cat earlier that day) and Nurse Lisa came back with the shot. Tetanus shots, for those who've not had them, really don't hurt. They're a very tiny needle. But it's only the next day that you really start feeling it - your whole arm hurts like a sumbitch and it's hard to lift it beyond waist-level. I remembered that from 2005 and figured it was the lesser of two evils, I could deal. It takes several days for that discomfort to wear off. Right now, my arm is okay - I can lift it, move it around - but the injection site is sore and I can feel it if I accidentally brush against something. Maybe they've improved on the things since 2005. (Wouldn't surprise me, seeing how fast technology moves anymore)

Next came a lady from the office who took down still more of my information, mostly contact and financial stuff. She mentioned that I'm probably eligible for a discount on the bill since I have no insurance and work retail, but since I just had to pay $45 for the antibiotic they prescribed me, I'm not holding my breath. I still expect the bill to be horrendous.

Nurse Lisa came back in again with a big pill called Augmentin, the antibiotic, another precaution. I downed it in one swig of water and drank the rest while the office lady finished grilling me and then I waited about ten minutes while they processed all the paperwork. Then Nurse Lisa came in and said I could go home.

Evidently they'll be sending me the bill, so I didn't immediately have to plop down any money that night, but it's only bad news delayed. Anybody want to guess what this is going to run me? I think I'll bet around $1200. My pet store one was about $800 or 900, so the price has probably shot up since then. Yay eternal debt!

That was when I left the building and discovered my parking error that caused me to walk all the way around the building when I could have just gone to my left and gone right into the ER. Me dumb. Anyhoo when I got home after 2 am kitty cat was there waiting for me as usual. I petted him and he seemed all right, so I went inside. But shortly after I came home, I was feeling nausea and I figured it had to be that damn antibiotic pill. I should mention that I'd had almost no food to eat that day as a result of being so stressed out, so maybe I need to take these pills with food to avoid barfing. I had one a while ago with a Subway sandwich and don't feel anything yet, so hopefully that works. But yeah, sure enough I puked up a light yellowish-green stream, but no pill, so I wonder if it managed to dissolve and get into my system in time. I have to take these pills twice a day.

After barfing I felt a lot better, so I brushed my teeth and went to sleep. Now begins the watch to see how the wound progresses. I slapped some Polysporin and a band-aid on it this morning, figuring that'll keep it protected while I'm at work later on. The doctor said it looked more like the teeth had just gouged a small furrow instead of actually puncturing, and today when I examined it, that sounds about right. So, a shallow wound instead of a deeper one.

*sigh* The irony is that I came down here to make money. But all I've done since I got here was lose it. *headshake*

But that's where I am now. Likely no rabies, just have to watch for infection, and for sure I'll be keeping an eye on the cat just in case. I plan to dig up this number for a woman who does low-cost spay/neuter and see if I can get him neutered, assuming he turns out okay.

I still feel exhausted from all this insanity.
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

My cat bit my once after I had given her a bath and had accidently trapped her in the towel. I went to Urgent Care and they perscribed me the same thing, I ended up going back to them that same day to get a different perscription, turns out I'm allergic to Augmentin, which means I can't take penicillian drugs again which perturbs me that I now have an allergy that affects so many other things medically

Comment

Geez, what a pain for you. And the antibiotic probably did make you nauseous, so don't worry you're getting sick- I learned the hard way that Augmentin says to take it with food for a very good reason.

Hope things look up soon. I wish I was rich so i could just help all the people on this board who are having hard financial times!
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I've been keeping an eye on the thread, and I for one am glad you went, even though it's probably fine.

I saw one of those vet shows on Animal Planet once where a woman had to lift her cat off an iron gate (it had fallen and gotten impaled), and naturally the cat was QUITE upset about its predicament. Wound up biting her in the process and puncturing the skin. The woman was a professional pianist or organist, I can't remember which, and she wound up nearly losing her hand to the bite, simply due to the amount of bacteria in a cat's mouth, which is much worse than a dog's. She kept saying during the first visit that she was sure it would be fine, that the swelling that was happening was just a normal reaction to a bite. Next visit she had her hand all stitched up, where they actually had to remove some skin and infected tissue. Doctors said if she'd waited much longer the whole hand might have been lost, or at least major function of it.

That story is why I don't mess around with cat bites. I'm thrilled the doctor seems to think you'll be fine, but I'm very glad you went to get it checked. And good luck on getting that discount; I know it'll ease your mind quite a bit.
          Last edited by Kaylyn; 12-15-2011, 10:47 PM. Reason: durr spelling

Comment

Agreed.

I get cat scratches fairly often (I don't often get bitten, but I do get scratched). And me being me, they get slightly red and swollen as my immune system deals with the broken skin.

As long as that's all that happens, I just clean them, pour iodine on them, and cover them with spray bandaid. (medical-grade cyano-acrelate. A variant of superglue.)

But:
            1. We don't have rabies in Aussieland (yet).
            2. It's my own kitties scratching me, and neither of them has anything unusual for cats, and I've lived with them for so long that I figure my system has antibodies for whatever they have.
            3. I monitor the wounds anyway. Any abnormal reaction and I'll be off to the doctor/late-hour clinic/ER.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm so glad you went to the ER! I've been worried. I know getting hit with a huge bill is bad. I just really didn't want to see you end up really sick from that bite. And that would have cost even more money, in the end.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

hey. Putting my 2.5 cents in.
                A few years ago I had to have an emergency gallbladder removal. It was mass pain to ER to Surgery to Home Next Day.
                I got the bill in the mail, and it was 39K.
                I about shat my pants.
                Then I called billing, asked if there was a way to get this reduced or erased. Yes, there was!!! I was told to prove my income and expenses for the last 3 months, to show there was no way in hell I could afford it.
                I did prove it, went back 6 months! Paystub copies, bank statement copies, all that crap. Took some legwork, but it got done. And all the cost was washed. Done.

There is nothing wrong with going to the ER when it's an emergency. Don't stop yourself from living if you don't know about paying the bill. That's cutting your nose off to spite your face.
                I kind of didn't want to go to the ER myself but I was in so much pain I had to. After I got fixed up, THEN I dealt with the money part. And it worked out. I did use some faith in this one - I didn't know what was going to happen, honestly; I just believed it, and it worked.

Next time you're needing medical attention, GO. Just go.
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

First, emergency rooms will treat anybody regardless of if they are able to pay or not. Those who wish to pay can make arrangements with the hospital to pay..and they will take whatever amount a month that you can afford. There is no interest, so just pay what you can when you can.

For those completely unable to pay anything, and yes I know this is going to get me lined up for a firing squad here, it does not affect your credit. If you absolutely can not pay..do not stress out. You might keep getting bills, and calls, but they can not get blood from a stone.

If you need to go, go. That is what they are there for.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

My rant about this was going to become political, but it seems like all the for- and againsts- are being covered in this fratching thread.

I'm just furious that a first world country has people who are afraid to go to the ER because of costs! I cannot, CANNOT, understand it.

(If you want to explain, please go to the fratching thread or start a new one, rather than making this thread political. </mod>)
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I was just on Augmentin last month for a sinus infection. I think the side effects from the meds were worse than the actual infection. I was fatigued, dizzy, nauseous, and I had muscle soreness. It's meant to be taken with food, which is why you felt sick most likely. I'm glad they don't think you're at risk for rabies though.

EDIT: Also, make sure to have lots of fluids with Augmentin. It has a side effect that will dehydrate you.
                      Last edited by PhiSigGirl1988; 12-16-2011, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Agreed.

I get cat scratches fairly often (I don't often get bitten, but I do get scratched). And me being me, they get slightly red and swollen as my immune system deals with the broken skin.

As long as that's all that happens, I just clean them, pour iodine on them, and cover them with spray bandaid. (medical-grade cyano-acrelate. A variant of superglue.)

But:
                        1. We don't have rabies in Aussieland (yet).
                        2. It's my own kitties scratching me, and neither of them has anything unusual for cats, and I've lived with them for so long that I figure my system has antibodies for whatever they have.
                        3. I monitor the wounds anyway. Any abnormal reaction and I'll be off to the doctor/late-hour clinic/ER.
                        Most non-stray cats are vaccinated for rabies.

Mum accidentally had one of our boycats bite her (she was teasing him with a bit of palm leaf and he tried to bite the palm-leaf, missed and bit her finger by mistake) and her finger started to swell up HEAPS. She was fine otherwise though. One trip to the hospital and being pumped full of antibiotics for two weeks and she was fine. Although when the swelling started to go down, she said that she was so happy to see wrinkles for once!
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

And I have discovered another lovely side effect of my new fun pill: It's prone to causing, shall we say, bathroom issues.

Came home from work tonight and saw the cat curled up napping right on my top step. Little bugger. I did notice that he has a small wound on top of his head, near the ear, so it looks like he's been fighting (probably with the other stray that comes around). Tomorrow is my free day so I'm going looking for this spay/neuter group, gonna put a stop to that nonsense real quick.
                          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

And I have discovered another lovely side effect of my new fun pill: It's prone to causing, shall we say, bathroom issues.
                            Yep. That's the side effect I was referring to. Just make sure to keep yourself hydrated.

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
                              I puked up a light yellowish-green stream
                              That's bile, which aids in the digestive process. I get the dry heaves when I haven't eaten in awhile and sometimes end up vomiting bile. Sounds like that's what happened to you.

I'm very glad you got checked out and everything seems to be fine.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Normally, I feel the same way about going to the ER or just the doc in general. I have insurance, but it's $100 to go to ER (and that doesn't count what else they try to charge you for there, they claim the copay covers most of it but that's bullshit) and it's $20-$30 copay for a doctor visit (once again, they sneak in other charges for instruments or procedures, some that are even "preventive" and are supposed to be covered at 100%), but after what happened to my brother, you can't always take the chance.

My little brother almost died because his appendix ruptured, and he didn't want to go to the doctor and he kept working and living life like normal for a WEEK after that happened, and finally went to the ER when he couldn't move anymore. He is lucky he didn't get blood poisoning and die.
                                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                                X