Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totally not my week. I'm in the hospital again.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally not my week. I'm in the hospital again.

I posted earlier this week about my adventures with anaphylaxis. It usually takes a few days to feel normal again, so I didn't think anything of it when I didn't feel great Wednesday. Thursday I still wasn't feeling great, and got hit with some very bad news as well, so when I started puking Thursday evening, I blew it off as stress and still recovering from the allergic reaction. Friday I still couldn't eat much, and puked must of what I did eat but as I had no fever and with the history of the rest of the week, I still wasn't concerned.

Then Friday night happened. I'm not sure when I've spent a more miserable night. Still no fever, but nausea to the point where it hurt, and vomiting. Making it worse, I really hadn't eaten much since Wednesday night, so there was a lot of dry heaving, which is really painful. Around 7am, after basically no sleep, I begged can my bf to take me to the ER.

This was apparently the right choice. As soon as I arrived at the check in window there was a non stop flurry of activity. One nurse checked me in while two nurses took my vitals and triaged me. From there I was taken directly back to a room where another nurse showed up to start an iv and get me into a bed. I'd barely transferred from the chair to the bed when the doc showed up. 20 minutes later I was having a ct scan done (and has been given lots of good meds to make the nausea and pain go away). I must have looked sicker than I thought I was.

So the diagnosis is appendicitis. I went in for surgery almost right away. Once they had the vomiting under control they were comfortable with me waiting for a more urgent case to finish. I arrived this morning a little before 8 and at 3 was in surgery.

Let me tell you guys one thing: I've had bouts where I've been pretty sick before. I've given birth three times. I fell off a damned mountain. Absolutely nothing in my background prepared me for the misery I experienced last night and this morning. Appendicitis is hands down the most awful thing I've ever experienced.

The good news is that the only thing I'm feeling now is post op pain. All the rest of the symptoms are gone. I should be feeling back to my old self soon.
    Last edited by mathnerd; 06-04-2015, 03:09 PM. Reason: typing on an iPhone with post-op pain meds means some spectacular typos
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

You must have looked pretty sick, I've been in the hospital twice for stomach pain and the first time, for food poisoning, it took them three hours to see me, and the second (which turned out to be a kidney stone) took them two. In my experience, stomach issues just aren't very high on the triage list. Glad you're feeling better though!
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I'm glad you're ok! Same happened to my brother. He kept complaining of pain and nausea and I thought it was his gallbladder. He was stubborn but finally went in.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Oh shit, what a bummer! Glad you're okay and they didn't mess around but took care of you ASAP. Hope you're feeling much better soon!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had my gallbladder out last November. I was actually a bit quicker to go to a doctor back then. This time I really did think that it was related to other stuff and just needed time to work itself out. I'm also thankful that the ER wasn't cram packed. I think there were five or six people waiting to be seen when I came in. Those people has probably been waiting most of the night. This hospital is always really busy.

I'm really surprised at just how much better I felt when I woke up from surgery as compared to how I felt before.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Update: I'm home!!!!!!

I still feel pretty rotten, but it's all post-op pain, painful nausea of the bad appendix. The surgeon said it takes about three days before patients see any real improvement in that area, so I just get to wait it out.

Comment

Any good pain meds?
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

On the plus side, the appendix only goes out one time. No repeats, unlike allergy shock reactions.

Side note: Any physical therapy or special instructions, are damned good ideas. Complications are a stone bitch. Just ask my dad.

Comment

At the moment I have IV morphine. I wound up back in the ER a little while ago. I couldn't keep down the anti nausea meds, or anything else. It's really scary to be a "straight back" when you walk into an ER. This time the waiting room was pretty busy but they wheeled me back to a trauma room within seconds of my arrival. They gave me the morphine and some stuff to stop/slow down the vomiting.

This is three times this week emergency personnel have deemed me too sick to wait. The ER I was transported to on Tuesday (same one, actually) was technically on bypass, but the paramedics thought I was too sick to safely make it to the next ER. I really just want to get better. This has been one of the worst weeks ever.

ETA: I'm typing to try to focus on something other than the pain. It's helping to take my mind off what the morphine won't kill.
                  Last edited by mathnerd; 06-01-2015, 07:39 AM.

Comment

WOW, That was clearly a pre-owned week! Someone used all the good stuff already and left you the not so good stuff!
                    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I'm totally stealing that line, BeeMused. It's the first thing that's made me laugh in days.

And thanks all. They got the nausea under control and I'm home now. The pain isn't so bad as long as I'm not throwing up. There doesn't seem to be any complications, other than the nausea, so I just need to take it slow for a little while.

Comment

Oh damn, not a good week at all. I hope you will recover from everything soon.

Comment

Wow, mathnerd. That sucks. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and as pain-free as possible.
                          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Wow!

I hope you get better soon.
                            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I've gone 12 whole hours without puking! Granted my dinner consisted of a tortilla shell, a tiny slice of chicken and a pudding, but it stayed down!

This is progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X