Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few of my "favourites" from recent years.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few of my "favourites" from recent years.

Sorry it's a bit long, but here are a few of my favourites from my current job.

1. Lady brings in a watch for a battery replacement. It is quite clearly a fake designer watch, and she openly tells us so. We change the battery but because of the poor quality, one of the batons (hour markers) becomes loose (this is a massive PITA but not uncommon with fakes). We apologise and offer to send it to our watch maker to re fit the baton free of charge. She refuses and says we can't send it away as our watchmaker will keep it and hand it in to trading standards as it is fake. We try to explain in the nicest possible way that our watchmaker really doesn't give 2 hoots and will just repair it and send it back. Customer goes absolutely mental at us that we have broken her watch (it still worked perfectly well), grabs the watch and storms out. She then leaves us a negative review in which she conveniently forgets to mention that a) the watch is a fake and b) that we offered to right our mistake free of charge. Luckily the review site she used has a 'reply' option, so I made sure that I filled in the bits she left out.

2. Christmas 2015 a lady comes in wanting to buy a bracelet for her daughter. (At this point it is worth pointing out that I also work with my boyfriend). He goes to serve her and she picks out a bracelet. She asks him to try it on his wrist so that she can see what size it is (?) so he obliges and puts it on and fastens it. She is happy and she buys it. Just after christmas she comes in.
    SC "I bought a bracelet from you for my daughter and it's too small, I need you to make it bigger"
    Me "Ok, have you got it with you?"
    SC "No"
    Me (a bit puzzled) "OK well if you bring it in I can have a look at it and see if we can add some extra links to make it longer"
    SC "Oh right. Well you see my daughter has it and she doesn't live around here."
    Me (still puzzled. Does she want me to make the bracelet longer without actually having the bracelet??) "Ok no problem, when you next see her, get the bracelet and bring it in, I'll have a look and see what we can do. If we have to send it to our goldsmith there will just be a small charge."
    SC "Ok. I guess I'll have to try and get it from her and bring it in then."
    Fast forward 2 hours and I get a furious phonecall from the daughter shouting and screaming at me that I had refused to help her mother, and that I had told her there was nothing we could do! She then continued to phone another 3/4 times, each time shouting and swearing and being abusive, until I gave u with her and passed her on to our boss, who happens to be one of the rudest people on the planet when he wants to.
    In the end they kept the bracelet and we barred them from the store.

3. Again, around Christmas last year a man came in and bought a pair of earrings for his wife. Now, even before i worked in a jewellers I was aware that *most* places will not accept returns on earrings for hygiene reasons. We also have this printed on our till receipts and on signs dotted around the shop. He chooses earrings and is very chatty and happy with his purchase he goes on his way.
    Later that week, his wife comes in, with the earrings, stating that her husband had bought her the wrong earrings, they weren't the ones she wanted. I told her that we don't usually exchange earrings but I would speak to the boss. Boss says no problem just exchange them for the ones she wanted. I offer her this option (the earrings she wanted are still in our window, same price, just a straight swap and a course of disinfectant on the returned earrings for good measure). No, she doesn't want the earrings, she wants the money. I explain that we have already done more than we need to by offering an exchange and that we will not give a refund for a £100 pair of earrings on to a debit card that is not even hers). She says she will speak to her husband and that they "will be back". Oh deep joy.
    Later that day I get an email from him that can only be described as blackmail, giving us 5 days to change our mind or there "will be consequences!" We continue to stand by our offer of exchange. He says that if we refuse to refund, he will start a hate campaign against us and will go to all the local papers and the news! For what? Because we went over and above the service we have to offer? After the 5 days he plastered his "hate campaign" all over our facebook page, which happens to be moderated so nobody can post to our wall without approval. Needless to say none of the local papers printed his "story", but in reading it we learned that he had encountered the same "problem" in many many local independant shops, so we think it is his way of having some "fun", being old and retired and all.

I will add some more as I think of them

You'd think after being refused returns at several shops, Earring Man would learn to ask the shop before buying what their return policy is.

He can always buy from your equivalent of Wal-Mart which will take just about anything at any time if you make vague assertions about buying it there at some point for some amount of money.

Comment

Bracelet lady reminds me of my cellphone customers who come in complaining about all of the crazy problems their phone is having. No problem, let me take a look. Oh, it's not with you? Well, that's nice...can't fix anything with telepathy-believe me, if I could I wouldn't be talking to you right now.
      "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
      -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
        He can always buy from your equivalent of Wal-Mart which will take just about anything at any time if you make vague assertions about buying it there at some point for some amount of money.
        This reminds me of a Rodney Carrington thing I heard about Wal-Mart once.

"They'll take anything back. You can go in there three months later: 'These diapers already got s**t in them!'

'We're real sorry about that! Run back there and get ya another package.'"
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          This reminds me of a Rodney Carrington thing I heard about Wal-Mart once.

"They'll take anything back. You can go in there three months later: 'These diapers already got s**t in them!'

'We're real sorry about that! Run back there and get ya another package.'"

In all honesty though Wal-mart has a very lenient return policy because they can AFFORD to have one. As one of the wealthiest companies in the world its no big deal to them to eat all kinds of stupid returns in the name of "keeping customers happy" because at the end of the day they still make bank.

Not so for the neighborhood mom and pop shop (even if it's even still open), so policies there are generally far more restrictive. And of lot of SCs will never understand this.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

That and, AFAIK, WM forces its vendors to eat the cost of returns - they have nice loooooong contracts. It only costs MW money if it's something made in-store/their own brand e.g. Mainstays (household decor).
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The first story reminds me of this crabby old lady who bought a package of cookies and wanted her money back because they were broke. Where were they? She ate them.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                The first story reminds me of this crabby old lady who bought a package of cookies and wanted her money back because they were broke. Where were they? She ate them.
                That's like asking for a refund on potato chips because there are crumbs at the bottom of the bag. "This bag is defective! ALL of the chips should have come out of it whole!"

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                  You know, I don't think there is such a company over here. Wallyworld have a big stake in one of our national supermarkets but even so, the various trading laws here mean that it's much easier for companies to just say "no." That doesn't mean you can't get something back if there's a genuine grievance, but it does limit the options that (for example) shoplifters have for "returning" goods they've swiped.

Of course I could be wrong, because it's not an area of business that I associate with.
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I work far a major UK supermarket, and all of the retail drones follow the return policy to the letter, but as soon as the SC asks for a manager, it depends on which manager you get. A few years ago, we had a manager who was new to our department, and before he spoke to the SC, he asked me what was going to happen because he was not sure of the policy, so what I told him is what he told the customer

Comment

Working...
                    X