This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I am a regular guest

This lady came into the hotel I work for at 120am. It was technically Monday morning but as we all know in the hotel business this is still considered checking in late on Sunday night. She had a reservation for Monday night and wanted to know if she could check in early. We told her she could check in but she would have to pay for two nights. She was none too happy with us and told us she was a regular guest. We still told her it she needed to pay for two nights. With that she turned around and stormed out.

Now, we will check you in early on day of arrival (even though our posted check in time is 3pm) We will allow you to check in at 7am because the room is empty and we won't turn away the revenue....but 1am the night before???? no way.

I got my first one of those the other day. Someone told me they'd be arriving soon after midnight. That type of call in itself isn't that unusual; some hotels will give your room away if you show up late (we don't). But their reservation was for the next day (as OP said, hotel days start at checkin and run through checkout). I offered to extend the reservation to the current day. They weren't sucky but they were surprised we'd charge them another night. Well, how many nights are you going to be sleeping here? That's what I thought.

Some of our regulars do get some special consideration (one person has regular trouble with her AmEx card when she travels, we don't lock out her room right away because we know she's good for it). Nobody just gets a day free for being a regular though.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Let me guess, she never came back but now must pay for the one night she didn't stay?

Comment

I would have asked her point blank: "How many times are you planning to sleep here? Two? Then that's how many nights you pay for."
        "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
        -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

I am not a regular guest at the motel down the street. I book and pay for a room for my mother twice a year. (we have cats, she is allergic to cats.) This has been going on for many years. Last week, the event she came for ended sooner than expected, so she arrived at the motel about 2 in the morning and checked in.

When I picked her up for breakfast, I also double checked with the front desk person to be sure that I was paying the correct amount because I don't really trust mom. She might have paid for the extra night and not told me. Its reading threads like these that helped me to understand the look of happy surprise on the clerk's face.

When I checked my card today, I noticed that I wasn't charged the correct amount. The charge was only $10 higher than a 2 night stay should have been.

So, what should I do? Call the motel and risk getting the clerk in trouble for giving me a discount? Call mom and confront her. Be happy that I got a discounted night? Have an extra glass of wine and forget about it? Decisions, decisions.

Comment

For ten bucks on a hotel room? I'd go with the wine. Make it a good one. ^_^
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

i second eric, seems like they knew you were regulars based on record and saw how nice you where and said 'for one night, or half a night now, I can give them a discount'

Comment

oh i hate the people that are like "but i come here ALL THE TIME" trying to get what they want, or get out of doing what you need them to do.. especially if it's some policy that's been in force for the last few years... and then you look in their history, and they've been there 3 times... in the last 6 years.

grrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Quoth katzklaw View Post
                  oh i hate the people that are like "but i come here ALL THE TIME" trying to get what they want, or get out of doing what you need them to do.. especially if it's some policy that's been in force for the last few years... and then you look in their history, and they've been there 3 times... in the last 6 years.

grrrrrrrrrrr
                  Anyone who pulls the "I'm a loyal customer...!" crap will 90% of the time be full of shit. It's those genuinely loyal customers who don't ask for special treatment who usually end up receiving it unasked.

Comment

and the 10% who ARE the actual good loyal customers never ask for special treatment, they only complain when something is actually wrong, and even then they usually approach it as "i come here alot and i love it here, and i'm sorry to bring this up, but this one tiny thing is wrong this one time... " those are the people i don't mind bending over backwards for.

Comment

Sometimes being a loyal customer does come in handy. Every year we go to a hotel on the Oregon coast for a few days, but this year I had to cancel our reservation past the deadline because we'd both gotten the flu. There was usually a penalty for canceling at the last minute, but we weren't charged the penalty as the manager told us to get well soon and thanked me for letting them know. I'm sure they preferred that we stay home rather than causing a possible epidemic at their hotel.

Comment

I had a guest like in the original post. I don't remember exact days, but for clarity's sake, I'm making up the details. We were sold out on Monday the 1st. 2am comes and goes and I roll over a new date. At around 2:30am, a guy comes to the desk. He had a reservation fro Tuesday the 2nd. I told him that I don't have any rooms available but we will have his room ready when he comes back at 3pm.

The guy complained that we didn't have rooms available when he came to check in.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I actually had someone cut me a major break once, and I was NOT a regular customer.

One night, my apartment flooded (burst pipe in the apartment above mine). My landlord got there about midnight, by 1 a.m. had the remediation guys on the way, told me apologetically I'd have to find someplace else to sleep for what remained of the night.

The woman at the front desk of the only decent hotel in town heard my tale of woe and gave me a room for what was left of the night for $20, on the strict condition that I was out of there by 9 a.m. (which was when I was supposed to be at work anyway.)

That remains one of the kindest things anyone ever did for me ... my landlord would have reimbursed me eventually (and did) but at the time I was so cash-poor that paying a real walkup rate out of my own pocket that night would have put me very close to, if not in, overdraft. (My plan B, if I hadn't been able to afford a room, was to sleep in my car and then get to work early enough to tidy up and change clothes.)

Comment

AGAIN with the cookies! I know it isn't just because they're free. I've offered to give you boxes of them from the shop, you still whine for FRESH ONNNNNEEESSS. Yesterday one of you came up and asked at 10:47pm at night. Sure I'll be HAPPY to miss my bus and have to get home 90 minutes late just to make more cookies for your entitled ass.

I now have a new name for you. You are the Cookie Monsters. And you're not blue and cuddly either.
                            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I admit to being a Cookie Monster. But a lesser sort--I do remark on the cookies, and I will take one when I wander by, but I won't pester the folks in the lobby about them!!
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X