• Show
Clear All

God, I hOPE so!

Comment

So... What did the judge say?

Comment

I got a good laugh outta this one

Comment

I could not believe she went through the hearing with a straight face, but she acted as if she really intended to ask for everything she had included in the motion.

The judge looked at her with a rather incredulous expression when he read out loud some of her requests, and asked her why she thought there would be an autopsy report for a traffic ticket. She responded that she is always thorough for her clients. Everyone in the courtroom saw through that bravado. The judge told her she might want to rethink that strategy.

The prosecutor enjoyed going down the list and saying, "Not applicable for a traffic ticket" or "No such testing or reports are done for a traffic ticket" to almost every request. He also made a big show of switching his referral to the defendant from feminine to masculine depending upon how the defense attorney had referenced the defendant in that particular request.

The irony was that right after the hearing, she did a plea bargain with the prosecutor and resolved the ticket. I guess she wanted to show the defendant she had earned her fee, but I wonder if the defendant will ask her why she charged for doing all that discovery if she did not intend to use it and could have plead out the ticket for the same probation fee at the first appearance thereby saving the defendant from paying her additional fees for the discovery motion and hearing.
          "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
          .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Yeah, if I was the defendant, I'd be pissed that I got charged for the lawyer to actually go through a hearing when it could have been pled down ahead of time for a lot less time, money, and trouble. (Not to mention that wasting the DA's and court's time is not good for this lawyer's future clients, although obviously that's no concern of this particular defendant.)

Comment

Working...
            X