This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 702 is the new 867

Okay, I teared up a bit writing the title to this, because it reminded me how long it has been since we last heard a Gravekeeper tale... but, in lieu of Nunavut, we can at least share in the insanity that is Las Vegas.

You're asking me to break the law

So, let me give you a brief overview of Nevada law. We honestly don't give a damn if you follow DOT rules, we really don't... what we care about is that you pay registration for whatever weight you will actually be operating at.

Caller: I don't understand this assessment.
    Me: Well, when NHP pulled over your truck they weighed it as (weight), but you were only registered at (weight over 10,000 pounds less). Nevada law gives you 30 days to correct your registration to the weight that you were actually operating at and you did not do so, so we sent you an assessment for the unpaid registration.
    Caller: But the higher weight would violate bridge weight*
    *for those who aren't familiar, bridge weight is the weight on any two adjacent axles. There are some fairly complicated rules on what bridge weights are allowed depending on the total number of axles and how far apart they are.
    Me: I understand that, but registration, at least up to 80,000 pounds has nothing to do with weight distribution, up to 80,000 you could meet any and all DOT bridge weight requirements by using a trailer, we do not question how you intend to meet DOT requirements, just what weight you will be putting on Nevada roads.*
    *Nevada does not register trailers by weight, any weight in a trailer needs to be included in the truck's registered weight.
    Caller: You're telling me I have to break the law. Besides, the counter people won't register me at that high of a weight, they'll make me fill out a diagram on how I plan on distributing the weight and refuse the registration.
    Me: I've never heard of the counter people doing that, but if you can hold, I can call the office that you go through and verify with them.
    *places caller on hold, calls up the supervisor for the office he does his registration at, explain what the guy is claiming*
    Supervisor: Is that guy on drugs? We have literally never made someone diagram their weight distribution for under 80,000 pounds.

Yeah, nice try... I give you an A for effort, but sadly, it was in vain.

You mean you want to know how far I actually traveled?
    *phone rings, 702 area code, braces self*
    Me: Audit section, this is Smiley, how may I help you?
    Caller: Yeah, I have a question about this letter you sent me.
    Me: Okay, and what is your account number?
    Caller: It's (number).
    *I pull it up... we just sent them a letter with the results of their records review, a step below a full audit, all the records review does is verify that there are no math errors in calculating tax returns and give advice on how to improve records... that is unless they are found to be so inadequate that a full audit is needed.
    Me: Okay, I've pulled up your account, what did you need help with?
    Caller: Well, it says in the letter than you sent me that what I sent in looked like a summary instead of distance logs and that everything looked rounded.
    Me: That is correct, for the distance review we need to see the actual distance logs so that we can insure that distance was accurately added for the tax return.
    Caller: Well, I never kept a distance log. I figured as long as I told you how far I drove in each state it didn't matter if I kept an actual log or not.
    Me: How can you know how far you went in each state if you didn't keep a log?
    Caller: Well, I'm good at guessing, why does it matter how I come up with the numbers?
    Me: Well, first off, because you signed an agreement on what records you would keep, and second you said that you traveled the entire length of I-15 in Utah in 350 miles multiple times.
    Caller: So, what's wrong with that?
    Me: I-15 is over 400 miles long through Utah.
    Caller: That doesn't sound right...
    Me: *facepalm*

Even by mail they haunt me

Okay, this was mailed, but still, the zip code is within the 702 area code, so I'm counting it.
    The deadline to file a 4th quarter tax return is the end of January. Come the end of April the carrier had not yet filed a tax return. We created an estimated return based on the average of his previous returns along with a bill and a deadline to appeal the assessment with a tax return and supporting docs.
    Carrier mailed in a tax return and supporting docs... but there was a problem... okay, several problems.
    1. No distance records were sent in to support the distance reported on the tax return. Lots of hours of service logs, but not a single thing listing miles.
    2. The hours of service logs included all his stops, so I could use a mapping program to determine an estimated mileage... which was several thousand miles more than the tax return he submitted.
    3. He thought that for some reason I needed the receipts for his oil changes and new tires... nope, don't care.
    4. He only sent fuel receipts for the first two months of the quarter... umm... no, kind of need all of them.

Thank God this was a voicemail...
    ... because the level of insanity is more than I think I could have handled had I been on the line.
    I will attempt to do as close to a word for word transcription as I can from memory.
    "Yes, 702-XXX-XXXX, what you will not do is delete this message. My name is (crazy lady). I know the NSA, feds, Monsanto and others are creating license plates that aren't registered with the DMV. They are using them to track and spread subliminal messages about terrorism, moving money, and armaments. You have been covering this up for far too long, it is time you investigate yourselves and stop this or you will regret it. The Illuminati has been stalking me because they know that I have lots of proof that this is going on. This cover up had better not keep my daughter from getting her drivers license. Remember my name (crazy lady), because you are going to be hearing it a lot."

Oh, indeed, I am going to remember it... and I will be initiating an investigation into what you've said... not quite the investigation that you want, but I'm sure the the Department of Public Safety would be fascinated to know how you will make us "regret it".
    As a word of advice, it was never a good idea to make vague threats against government agencies, but especially after 9/11, vague threats are taken very seriously. With something vague like that, we have no way if you mean you are going to release your supposed evidence to the media and their will be public outcry, or if you plan on taking an AK-47 into one of the offices and going out in a blaze of glory.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

"Doesn't sound right" guys

Yeah, I love them.

"Why'd you turn left when I told you to turn right?"

"Well, that didn't look right"

"Why'd you pick up that car from the wrong end when I told you to pick it up from the right end?"

"Well, that end didn't look right"

"What are you doing in Neighborhood A when you were sent to a tow in Neighborhood B?"

"Well, I got down there to what the GPS said was "A" , but it didn't look right"

"Why the hell did you put transmission fluid in there? The fill cap you had to take off says "OIL"!

"Well, it looked right"

Yeah, LOVE guys like that.... love em TO DEATH!
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Didn't we have a member or two who were interested in compiling a "Best Of" Gravekeeper's stuff (or just all of it), not too long ago? 'Cuz now that we're under great glorious People's Purple Republik of CS, tovarisch, the limitation on how far back you go on searches has been lifted (used to be first 100 hits, now it's all of them -- one benefit from a beefier server). I'm just sayin'...ya know?
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That would be fantastic. I'd love to go back and reread some of his stuff again. He was THE legend of this place!
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I have a few pages worth of my personal faves in my Sigs-n-Recipes file (which goes back to the 90's -- damn thing is over 120 pages now). If anyone wants that (er, just the GK stuff) -- either for personal viewing or as part of such a collection project, PM me and send you a goodledrive link.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            "Doesn't sound right" guys

Yeah, I love them.
            And girls.

"I need 6 yards for my curtains? That doesn't sound right..."
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

That stuff about mileage kind of reminds me when I was security at a mall there were no good truck stops near by and we would get truck drivers parking overnight all the time. It was really a liability safety issue and the fact that most left trash. We had no trespassing signs and no overnight parking signs. But whenever we would try to get them to move and they would refuse saying they were out of hours and we would call the police to have them trespassed and make them move the police wouldn't make them move either because they said it would be illegal to put them back on the road. I understood that but it would be the same as saying you can't trespass a homeless guy from sleeping in your yard because he has no other place to go.... they were still at that point trespassing and their lack of planning wasn't our problem.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Whatever happened to Gravekeeper anyway? Best I can figure out he changed jobs and stopped posting, at least I hope that's the story and that he's doing well and happier in his new position.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

He, uh, retired from CS after he changed jobs (to something less customer-facing, IIRC). He shows up on Fratching from time to time.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    *Nevada does not register trailers by weight, any weight in a trailer needs to be included in the truck's registered weight.
                    Not just Nevada. My cab card (truck is base plated in Ontario) shows 80,000 pounds for all of the lower 48, the metric equivalent for all but one province, and 5 axles for Quebec (they require registration by axles, not weight).
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      He, uh, retired from CS after he changed jobs (to something less customer-facing, IIRC). He shows up on Fratching from time to time.
                      That, and somebody outed him to...somebody else.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        [...] and 5 axles for Quebec (they require registration by axles, not weight).
                        Interesting. Out of curiosity, I wonder how they handle those trucks and trailers with the axles that only touch the roads under really heavy loads? I would guess they count as extras for simplicity sake, but then I also know how some governments just love complexity.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post

Thank God this was a voicemail...
                          As an update, this one has already been bumped up to Capital Police.
                          Kind of hope I get kept in the loop, but sadly most likely I won't hear anything about it after this.
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I hope crazy lady gets the Haldol and padded room she needs. Or maybe the aliens have already taken her away from here.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                              Whatever happened to Gravekeeper anyway? Best I can figure out he changed jobs and stopped posting, at least I hope that's the story and that he's doing well and happier in his new position.
                              The job fucked him up so bad he was in pain just going to work, I think "PTSD" was mentioned.
                              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                              X