X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
    ELMER SEASON
    Mister Magoo's got hand grenades!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

By George... these pineapples aren't ripe just yet... mumble mumble....
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
        that phone was on a line w/a few others and you could tell by the arrangement of the ring tone who the call was for.
        Sing it if you know it...

"Oh, the woman on our party line's a nosy thing,
        She picks up her receiver when she knows it's my ring..."
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

ELMER SEASON
          No, no, no....It's baseball season.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
            This lady had what is known as a wireless home phone. It's basically a small box you keep in your house and you use it sort of like you would a landline, but it runs off our mobile network as opposed to a wired connection.
            My understanding, from your description, is that this device allows you to plug in any piece of telephone hardware that would normally be connected to a landline. Is this correct? If so, can it be used with a fax machine? This would be GREAT in the trucking industry, where it's necessary to do a lot of faxing - would avoid the need to stop at a truck stop to do it.

Back to the subject at hand though, perhaps I can get a credit for making sure my phone payments are made on time each month?

*ducks and hides under the desk to avoid flying tomatoes*
            Are you suggesting that people here would use lethal force against someone whose only offense was to tell a bad joke?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Was this around the 50s/60's maybe? I was born at the end of the 60's and that was around the time that party lines were done away with in my area.
              (snip)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8<
              IIRC that phone was on a line w/a few others and you could tell by the arrangement of the ring tone who the call was for.
              That is how it worked, yes. Service for up to four residences on a single line, and there were a whole host of rules you were supposed to follow. It allowed America to get connected quickly and inexpensively until all the infrastructure could be built for individual service.

BUT...

The 'party line' didn't go away. Bell simply repackaged it as 'distinctive ring', allowing up to four individual users per residence - and as a bonus, it uses the same basic equipment the old party lines did. Mom, Dad, little brother, and big sis all had their own phone numbers and you could tell who the call was for by the ring - though of course only one person could use the phones at a time. I believe it is still offered for landlines.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Are you suggesting that people here would use lethal force against someone whose only offense was to tell a bad joke?

I believe throwing tomatoes is only lethal to me (unless there's somebody else here with that severe of a tomato allergy that hasn't outed themselves).
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                  No, no, no....It's baseball season.
                  Tennis Anyone?????

****BLAM *********
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Funny you should mention that one, RM -- Ya know how some network TV channels used to censor even Bugs Bunny toons? I recall seeing the one where Elmer was "chasing" a baseball by repeatedly shooting it, causing it to pop up into the air...On this station's version, all of the gunshot were edited out (though you could still see that he was carrying that huge gun of his!), so it looked like he would run up to a baseball on the ground, which would then spontaneously fly up into the air, he would chase it again, it would fly up...etc.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Tennis Anyone?????

****BLAM *********
                      Were you referring to this tennis match?
                      Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 06-23-2016, 02:40 AM.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                        I believe throwing tomatoes is only lethal to me ....
                        Depends whether they're still in the tin or not :P
                        Last edited by Kit-Ginevra; 06-23-2016, 09:59 AM. Reason: someone kidnapped a backslash
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Was this around the 50s/60's maybe? I was born at the end of the 60's and that was around the time that party lines were done away with in my area.

I recall my mom talking about growing up on the farm back in the 50s and 60's (she was born in 1947)...
                          I grew-up in my teen years in various foster homes. Lived on a dairy farm until I joined the Navy at age 17, to get away from all that. We had a party line, and I remember that an older lady in the area would listen-in to my foster sister's phone calls with her boyfriend(s), and report to others on that -- with her own judgments and critique included!!!
                          Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

I I like your posts but you are way to nice to these people. You never ask them any tough questions to contradict them. Your stories would be a lot more I interesting if you did.

Comment

Keep in mind, corporate policy probably doesn't LET him say what he wants to, and if he did, they'd win by getting their refund due to a "rude rep".

Now me? I'm only constrained by my rapidly-failing internal filter.
                              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                                I believe throwing tomatoes is only lethal to me (unless there's somebody else here with that severe of a tomato allergy that hasn't outed themselves).

Guilty!!

Its a bad bad day if I get them on my skin or ingest them.

Comment

Working...
                                X