Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When/why did people start using "adult" as a verb?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    My family is from the south. I consider Texas part of the southwest, which to me is different. I also like to refer to Texas and southern CA as "northern Mexico."
    I don't really consider Texas part of "The South". I don't know that I consider it part of "The Southwest", either. Though I would guess it's closer to "The Southwest" rather than "The South". I guess maybe it depends on what part of Texas you're in.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Texas is really kind of in it's own category. Too "west" for the former Confederate states, too "east" for the actual Southwest. (I remember Jester jokingly telling a Texan that he was an Eastern boy, and waving his Arizonan status as his bona fides to being able to get away with that.)
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I also like to refer to Texas and southern CA as "northern Mexico."
        Texas? Oh--you mean Baja Oklahoma!
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

It's a humorous way of talking about things that aren't that fun to do. Like paying bills, mowing the lawn, exc. I'll cop to using it, but only in informal communication at home with my Hubby and Roommates, where slang terms are allowed.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I dunno much 'bout Texas, 'cept it's B-I-G HUGE!

So I default to New Orleans -- which, if you've ever been there for any notable length of time -- you will know is not only a separate city, but a separate country from all that surrounds it.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

So I default to New Orleans -- which, if you've ever been there for any notable length of time -- you will know is not only a separate city, but a separate country from all that surrounds it.
              The Wife and I had thought about going to New Orleans after we got married as sort of a honeymoon...

Unfortunately, I didn't really have any vacation time...
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Awww. Well, go check it out when you can.

ProTip: If you wanna get the Mardi Gras experience, but without the massive crowds -- look up the St Patrick's Day (ish) parades. Many of the same floats and same folks, just redecorated, just as drunk, but 5~10% as many people, many of which are locals. This goes double if you have small kids. Drop me a PM in advance if you ever get the chance to do this, we can meet up (I have a place to hang out for one of the parades every year, all are welcome)! And yes, this goes for everybody
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  There's always the deepest depths of urban New Orleans, too, where you can go down by ya' mama's to eat a dressed poboy, stuffed with catfish that has been deep-fried in erl, sittin' on a baguette dat's got it some good mynez spread upon it. Then ya warsh it down wit' an ice-cold Barq's longneck. After yer done, you can go and wrench yer hands in da zinc.

Oh, hush. You knew this was coming.
                  I actually understood all that, but I'm sure living an hour-ish east of New Orleans has a lot do with that. I still remember a few call center jobs ago the first time I got a call from a genuine Lousiana Cajun. I COULD understand him, but it took me a little bit.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I am fluent in Yat, due to it being my extended family's preferred method of speech (to say I know Rocky & Carlo's very well would be an understatement); I just don't speak it on a regular basis. I've actually been asked why I lack any apparent accent before.

I can understand the Cajun accent, if not the language proper, due to having a few relatives who speak that way ("Yeah, cher!), and to watching Justin Wilson (may he R.I.P.) on PBS for all of those years.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      What do you mean "big"? Route 17/417 (picks up the "4" prefix when it becomes a controlled-access highway) across Ontario is roughly twice as long as I10 across Texas, and ask anyone from Alaska what they think of Texas being big. I've heard that some restaurants in Alaska have in the descriptions in the "for smaller appetites" section of the menu "A Texas-size portion of..."
                      Last edited by wolfie; 08-26-2016, 03:27 AM. Reason: Forgot a quotation mark
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Drop me a PM in advance if you ever get the chance to do this, we can meet up (I have a place to hang out for one of the parades every year, all are welcome)! And yes, this goes for everybody
                        I wish. I think you would be so fun to hang with.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          There's always the deepest depths of urban New Orleans, too, where you can go down by ya' mama's to eat a dressed poboy, stuffed with catfish that has been deep-fried in erl, sittin' on a baguette dat's got it some good mynez spread upon it. Then ya warsh it down wit' an ice-cold Barq's longneck. After yer done, you can go and wrench yer hands in da zinc.

Oh, hush. You knew this was coming.

The Canadian version (not a direct translation of EricKei's...)

As a Canadian, you have to be extra vigilant. There are a lot of impostors out there. If you suspect that someone is falsely trying to pass themselves off as a Canadian, make the following statement, and then carefully note their reaction:

"Last night, I cashed my pogey and went to buy a mickey of C.C. at the beer parlour, but my skidoo got stuck in the muskeg on my way back to the duplex. I was trying to deke out a deer, you see.

Damn chinook, melted everything. And then a Mountie snuck up behind me in a ghost car and gave me an impaired. I was S.O.L., sitting there dressed only in my Stanfields and a toque at the time. And the Mountie, he's all chippy and everything, calling me a disturber" and what not. What could I say, except, "Sorry, Eh!" ".

Comment

The sad part is that that is very accurate as I understood every part of it.
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Sakka View Post
                              As a Canadian, you have to be extra vigilant. There are a lot of impostors out there. If you suspect that someone is falsely trying to pass themselves off as a Canadian, make the following statement, and then carefully note their reaction:
                              Couple years ago, I was making a delivery of built-in office furniture at a jobsite in Virginia, and one of the installation crew claimed to be a Canadian. I asked him why people would roll up the rim on a double-double, and he didn't have a clue. Any other Canadians out there, this should be obvious.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Sakka View Post
                                "Last night, I cashed my pogey and went to buy a mickey of C.C. at the beer parlour, but my skidoo got stuck in the muskeg on my way back to the duplex. I was trying to deke out a deer, you see.

Damn chinook, melted everything. And then a Mountie snuck up behind me in a ghost car and gave me an impaired. I was S.O.L., sitting there dressed only in my Stanfields and a toque at the time. And the Mountie, he's all chippy and everything, calling me a disturber" and what not. What could I say, except, "Sorry, Eh!" ".
                                Being VERY non Canadian I actually understood 90% of this. That is scary.

Just like I can still, for the most part, translate corporate-speak.
                                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                                X