Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The one where I implode out of sheer frustration...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The one where I implode out of sheer frustration...

Please forgive any grammar errors or misspellings, I am beginning my second martini of the night. It's been a real fun weekend and I still have Sunday to get through.......

I get my point across:
    Another one who can't be bothered to carry or show their ID. How do these people manage? She comes in to buy 3 drinks. On the counter is a sign with the two types of credit cards we are able to take and the fact that they must show ID.

Old Lady: "You don't take credit cards?"
    Me: "Yes we do. (points at sign she was looking at) We just need ID."
    Old Lady: "It's in my car"
    Me: .......(thinking, 'So go get it already!')
    Old Lady: (English is not her first language and I've angered it) "I have two, (cards) you think I steal two?!?"
    Me: "No..., but we have the policy in place for a reason"
    Old Lady: "Someone would cheat for only a few dollars?"
    Me: "Yes, they would. But not only that if someone does it costs me an additional charge to have the cc charges reversed and I'm not willing to chance it."

Old Lady walks out then comes back in with cash.

Me: "$4.77"
    Old Lady: "mumble, mumble, ridiculous, mumble, mumble, never heard of, etc ad nauseum"
    Me: "Ya know, if someone else were using your card without your permission you'd appreciate the fact that I'm requiring ID"
    Old Lady: (can't remember exactly but it was something along the lines of DENY, DENY, DENY)

She then demanded just two of the drinks, didn't have enough cash, continued to bitch and moan while I leaned in towards her and practically yelled the price, effectively telling her I didn't give a rip about her opinion, give me what you owe me and get the hell out!!!! She threw a couple of bucks at me for just one at that point.

Me: "You know, when someone uses your card without your permission you will remember this conversation."

She actually appeared to think about that for a second before slinking out.

You're blaming me?

We sell fishing licenses. That doesn't mean I have anything to do with the fish biting, or stocking the river, or guaranteeing you a succulent trout dinner tonight.

Idiot: "Are you (yes, he said "You") stocking the river finally?"
    Me: ......
    Me: .... um, they are stocking the river but I don't have their schedule handy. (hoping he meant "you" in a "not me, but whomever is responsible" way)
    Idiot: "Ok then"

Standing there won't change my answer
    We fill propane bottles but only my husband and my Father-in-law can do it. If I'm there alone I'll let people leave their tanks to be filled, usually, the next day when one of them are there. This has been the 'norm' for almost 15 years.

A summer person wants his tank filled. I tell him that someone may be able to fill it in the morning during certain hours so he can leave it and pick it up at some point tomorrow. He literally stands there and stares at me as if I'm going to change my answer just for him.
    Local: "Can't you do it?"
    Me: "No. I've never been able to fill them".
    Again, he stands there as if the answer will change. Not only can I not pull the keys to the dispenser out of my arse, the knowledge of how to use the machine is not there either!

I can be passive aggressive too
    Why is it that shoplifters don't just want to steal, they want to simply get away with more than they spent? I see it all the time. The steal something then come to the counter with a few things to buy. They rarely just steal and leave. If I'm alone or not feeling like confronting someone and I have proof that they did pocket something I can usually jack up their prices on what they do bring to the counter and nab them pretty damn well without their even knowing it. Tonight's sticky fingers wasn't even all that sly about it. He and his skank of a girlfriend paid through the nose for what went into his pocket.

Screw it, it's a 3 martini night. I still have tomorrow to deal with.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

Quoth SuperB View Post
    Don't you just adore people who think that if they explain why they don't have something, then it cancels out the fact that they don't have it?

"I left my I.D. at home."
    . . . And you figure that telling me that will make me waive the requirement for an I.D.? I've got news for you, buddy . . .

Quoth SuperB View Post
    Old Lady: "I have two, (cards) you think I steal two?!?"
    Me: "No..."
    Yes.

If a person's wallet or purse was stolen, then it's not only possible, but quite likely that the thief would wind up with two or more of the victim's credit cards.

. . .

Okay, really, there was no particular reason to believe that this lady was a thief. But there was also no particular reason to believe that she wasn't. Hence, the requirement for the I.D., as you pointed out, SuperB.

(The fact that she had two credit cards does nothing to prove that she wasn't a thief.)

Quoth SuperB View Post
    Me: "You know, when someone uses your card without your permission you will remember this conversation."
    Sadly, I strongly suspect that if anybody ever did use her card without her permission, she would be very quick to tear into the store for it.

I've always said this . . . The people who complain most loudly about having to show I.D. (or follow any other security precautions) to use their credit cards would also be the first ones to rip into stores when they accept those credit cards without authorization.

Quoth SuperB View Post
    Local: "Can't you do it?"
    Me: "No. I've never been able to fill them".
    Again, he stands there as if the answer will change. Not only can I not pull the keys to the dispenser out of my arse, the knowledge of how to use the machine is not there either!
    Filling propane tanks . . . That does NOT sound like a job that you would want handled by somebody who isn't properly trained for it.

If I had been the customer, and somebody told me that they can't fill the propane tank . . . I would not argue the point. There's just something about the issue of handling highly explosive and flammable liquids . . . But maybe that's just me.

As for the shoplifters . . . What can be said?

Thieves is stupid.
    “Excuse me. Is this bracelet real jade?”
    “Ma’am, this is a thrift shop. The tag on the bracelet says $1.50. It comes with a matching mood ring. What do you think?”
    “I don’t know.”
    “Yes, it’s real.”

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
      The steal something then come to the counter with a few things to buy. They rarely just steal and leave.
      They're doing that "Buy one small thing" as a cover for their illicit deeds. They think, if they show that they are actually buying something, they can get away with the stuff you 'obviously' didn't see go into their pants/stroller/ass (If they're sticking things in their ass, I'm sure as hell not touching it, however, the guys at the precinct might be willing to try and find it for the customer...)
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
        On the counter is a sign with the two types of credit cards we are able to take and the fact that they must show ID.

Old Lady: "You don't take credit cards?"
        Me: "Yes we do. (points at sign she was looking at) We just need ID."
        Me: .......(thinking, 'So go get it already!')
        Old Lady: (English is not her first language and I've angered it) "I have two, (cards) you think I steal two?!?"
        Me: "No..., but we have the policy in place for a reason"
        Old Lady: "Someone would cheat for only a few dollars?"
        Me: "Yes, they would. But not only that if someone does it costs me an additional charge to have the cc charges reversed and I'm not willing to chance it."

Old Lady walks out then comes back in with cash.
        So she walks out..did she go to her car to get cash? She could have gotten her ID then..something doesn't add up

Comment

Quoth Meegz View Post
          So she walks out..did she go to her car to get cash? She could have gotten her ID then..something doesn't add up
          Heh, that's exactly what I was thinking. Methinks she either doesn't have ID or the card(s!) weren't hers.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post

You're blaming me?

We sell fishing licenses. That doesn't mean I have anything to do with the fish biting, or stocking the river, or guaranteeing you a succulent trout dinner tonight.

Idiot: "Are you (yes, he said "You") stocking the river finally?"
            Me: ......
            Me: .... um, they are stocking the river but I don't have their schedule handy. (hoping he meant "you" in a "not me, but whomever is responsible" way)
            Idiot: "Ok then"
            I don't get this. Stocking the river?

And what is propane? Is that another name for LPG? based on reply #1, that seems to be the case but...

About the credit card lady. How do YOU know that she didn't steal both cards? The fact that she was reluctant to get her ID...
            MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              Heh, that's exactly what I was thinking. Methinks she either doesn't have ID or the card(s!) weren't hers.
              You don't get it. It's the principle of the thing, even if the principle will fubar her on the head and have her buying only one drink and going to a lot of hassle, she won, she showed the rude counter girl one! (yeah.... right)
              I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                I don't get this. Stocking the river?
                I assume the customer is talking about stocking the river with fish. Some places do that.

Quoth Jacen View Post
                And what is propane?
                Propane is, in fact, another name for LPG.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                  And what is propane? Is that another name for LPG?

Yes, I believe it is.

I don't know very much about fuels, but from what I've read . . . Propane, also called LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas), is a gas that is generally transported and stored as a liquid in high-pressure tanks.

I've read that propane is actually quite safe when it is properly stored and handled. When it is not properly stored and handled, however, it can cause significant property damage, injury, or death.

Which is why I said that filling propane tanks doesn't sound like a job that you would want handled by somebody who isn't properly trained for it.
                  Last edited by Anthony K. S.; 06-15-2008, 08:15 PM. Reason: Corrected punctuation.
                  “Excuse me. Is this bracelet real jade?”
                  “Ma’am, this is a thrift shop. The tag on the bracelet says $1.50. It comes with a matching mood ring. What do you think?”
                  “I don’t know.”
                  “Yes, it’s real.”

Comment

Part of the fee you pay for the fishing license is supposed to go towards Fish and Game stocking the lakes and rivers. His use of the word, "you" definitely made me wonder if he knew who was actually responsible for it or if he really thought the businesses who sold the licenses did it. Considering the fact that we make very little on the licenses that answer would be "no".

I honestly don't know why she didn't just get her ID unless her car was parked across the street and she was out walking and went out to someone else for the cash rather than going back to the car. I fully admit to the fact that it became a pissing match but it's also the principal. It doesn't even have to be stolen to be a problem, I've had people try to use a relatives card. I had someone once who was in a bind but being very nice and I tried to help them out by taking their mothers card over the phone. They were polite and thanked me for doing it, now they'd be able to get home, yadda-yadda. Then the &*%$^ disputed the charges on me. No more trusting, no more favors.

By the way, what's LPG?

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                    ~Clerks

Comment

Generally you have to be licensed to fill propane as well. Even if you knew how to use the machine you could not do it if you did not have the certification. That may be different where you are, but I doubt it.

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
                        By the way, what's LPG?
                        LPG is, apparently, propane.

Anthony K. S. provided a good answer on LPG/Propane. Down here on the underside of the planet we know of propane only from Hank Hill's exploits.

Comment

Quoth ReverendBSB View Post
                          Generally you have to be licensed to fill propane as well. Even if you knew how to use the machine you could not do it if you did not have the certification. That may be different where you are, but I doubt it.
                          Yeah but there's not much to that really. They come out, show you how to do it and then write your name down. And they don't check up on you or give you anything to show that you've been shown/certified. At least that's how they did it here and only the guys were here for it. But that is a good way to explain it to people since I really have no desire to deal with it.

~Clerks

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
                            By the way, what's LPG?
                            LPG, or Liquefied Petroleum Gas, is the offical name of the product you're selling to fill the propane bottles. Many people just call it propane instead of LPG. Propane and butane are the major components of LPG, along with something to make it smell.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                            X