This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weddings...

Well, its not my normal dayjob, but its a job at least.

I had the (dis)pleasure of being the official photographer at a wedding at the weekend and noticed some of the following.

Going Shhh. to your spawn while they spend the entire ceremony kicking the pew in front is inneffective GROW A SPINE AND PARENT!!

Yes I'm the official photographer, if I'm bellowing at the top of my lungs for you to move out of the background it means MOVE.

Again, if I ask you to hold from taking flash photos while I am taking the formal shots it means hold off with the flash already, yes I have a lovely camera but having very bright and lots of different light sources *will* result in some odd photos.

Remember said spawn from above? It should not take an absolute stranger to tell your children to shut the hell up during the speeches, remember parent is a verb that means it is an action.

Again with the spawn, don't let little pwesious run back and forth infront of me with a balloon while I'm tryin to take some shots of the first dance, you see that wall? No? Thats because its dark in here; it's already hard enough without added problems.

Other than that though, it was a lovely service and it was the first time I saw the groom in tears while delivering his speech towards his bride.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Weddings are wonderful. Last month my friend K the bride was given away by both her grandfather and her father. It was just a really meaningful ceremony all around. Thankfully all the little kids there were well behaved. I've been debating on whether I should have kids at the wedding or not.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
      Other than that though, it was a lovely service and it was the first time I saw the groom in tears while delivering his speech towards his bride.
      The grooms cried during the vows at every wedding I've been to.

Also at one, they did a traditional folk dance as the first dance but it was obvious the groom didn't know the steps. Eventually his mother in law started shouting instructions.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
        The grooms cried during the vows at every wedding I've been to.
        It wasn't during the vows, it was during his speech at the reception.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
          it was the first time I saw the groom in tears while delivering his speech towards his bride.

I'm guessing you've never been to a shotgun wedding before.

Comment

Oh my crazylegs, do I feel your pain. Been there, done that, and volunteered myself for a coworker's wedding this fall. WHAT was I thinking?

Check out the book Exposed: Confessions of a Wedding Photographer quick read, funny at times and absolutely TRUE regarding the stuff photographers have to deal with! I don't remember the author, but it just came out.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
              Oh my crazylegs, do I feel your pain. Been there, done that, and volunteered myself for a coworker's wedding this fall. WHAT was I thinking?

Check out the book Exposed: Confessions of a Wedding Photographer quick read, funny at times and absolutely TRUE regarding the stuff photographers have to deal with! I don't remember the author, but it just came out.
              I've stated quite clearly to all who know me I'm doing these two weddings (there's another in 7 weeks time) and only then will I decide whether or not to do any more.

I'll have a look for it, even though it was my first wedding to photo!

Comment

In dealing with musicians:

1. Do not ask the musicians to take requests. We have worked out the music ahead of time with the bride, and we only brought along the pieces we agreed to play.

2. Do not attempt to engage the musicians in conversation while they're playing. That's just annoying.

3. Do not attempt to engage the musicans in conversation between numbers. We're working, we aren't there to listen to you ramble on about how thirty years ago you heard someone play the same piece we just played, and how much you enjoyed it.

4. If your six year old son just started playing violin in grade school, it is not appropriate to ask if he can play our violins. We've spent tens of thousands of dollars on our instruments, and we are not going to hand them over to your little precious just so he can show off how well he plays "Mary had a Little Lamb." And do not get all snippy when we decline your request.

5. In fact, just don't talk to us at all.
                "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
                "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
                --Dilbert

Comment

At least you were doing a friend's wedding. I've done friend's weddings and it's okay because, as both a friend and their wedding photographer, you have some clout with the rest of the mob. But just as a profession, with strangers? My fee would be $10000 an hour. Screw that.

I'll bet you did a good job, though.

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
                    At least you were doing a friend's wedding. I've done friend's weddings and it's okay because, as both a friend and their wedding photographer, you have some clout with the rest of the mob. But just as a profession, with strangers? My fee would be $10000 an hour. Screw that.

I'll bet you did a good job, though.
                    Well, other than three or four people it was mostly people who I'd never met and who had no idea who I was, so I just guess my bellowing had the desired effect! I know that pro photgrapher would have charge close to £1000 for the hours/photos I took though!

Cheers, I think so but the B+G haven't seen them yet (they're on honeymoon!)

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                      I've been debating on whether I should have kids at the wedding or not.
                      If you mean go into labor and give birth at the ceremony and/or reception, then I think that would be in bad taste.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

If there were no children, someone's pets would have to be the flower girl and the ring bearer.

Oh that would be so cute....I can just imagine Bear walking down the aisle with flowers around her collar......
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          If there were no children, someone's pets would have to be the flower girl and the ring bearer.

Oh that would be so cute....I can just imagine Bear walking down the aisle with flowers around her collar......
                          My dog's name is bear too! My SO gave him that name because he looks like a bear cub. I would love to have my fur baby walk down the aisle, but he's a little hellion.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Bear is just her nickname. I won't use real names on this site..........but she does look like a bear as well.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Veteran of 200+ weddings here, between DJing, serving, and attending. Never been the best man, but have given many, many speeches. Even gave away the bride once. Not bad for a guy with no children!

Quoth freaktard View Post
                              1. Do not ask the musicians to take requests. We have worked out the music ahead of time with the bride, and we only brought along the pieces we agreed to play.
                              That seems rather inflexible. Not all musicians are like that, though of course, since I was at a good number of my weddings as a DJ, I haven't dealt with THAT many of them.....

Quoth freaktard View Post
                              5. In fact, just don't talk to us at all.
                              Wow. Um....wow.

Nothing personal, Freaktard, but you just illustrated yet another reason for getting a DJ instead of a band!

Quoth blas87 View Post
                              I've actually seen it done, with both good and bad results! (Different weddings.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X