Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kink's Mythbuster: Is Oprah Sucky or Not?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kink's Mythbuster: Is Oprah Sucky or Not?

Okay. I have heard a rumor that Oprah has suggested that people only tip ten percent because of the bad economy. Supposedly she said this as a suggestion for how to save money. I'm calling horsest on this one.

Reasons:

1. An intense late night web search by me and my brother in law turned up tons of anecdotal comments by several hundred people who "knew" she said it. However, we can't find anyone who actually witnessed it.

2. We cannot find any clips of the video on question.

3. It doesn't sound like something she'd say, in my opinion.

4. Her web site has an article on tipping...and it's correct in what it says. No mention of stiffing or shorting anyone.

5. We did find a blurb where a publicist for her show denies it was said.

Okay, folks. Myth or not? Don't tell me you "heard" she said or you "know" she said it. I don't care if your boyfriend, your neighbor, your mom, or your priest heard or saw it. I want to know if you heard or saw it.

Please post a link to vid, if you can produce one. Is the myth busted or not?

i can honestly say i have NOT heard her say it...then again i rarely watch TV or the news....

Comment

First I've heard of it, but I really don't pay attention to Oprah's ego trip...
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Nothing on Snopes at the moment.

Rapscallion

Comment

Who is this Oprah of which you speak?
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

i don't listen to her anyway

i follow my mother's rules on tipping.
            bad service = 15% to the penny.
            good service = 18-20% (tho i sometimes go higher)
            pregnant waitress = 18-20%, especially if they're young. (oh and the same for eating out for breakfast)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              pregnant waitress = 18-20%, especially if they're young. (oh and the same for eating out for breakfast)
              Sorry this it OT, but I'm just curious why breakfast is different than lunch or dinner?

As far as the Oprah deal goes, I haven't heard anything either, but I don't watch her. Sorry.

Comment

Breakfast and lunch tend to be smaller portions and therefore, lower prices.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

5% to 10% for bad service, but I let them know it. A lot of servers assume women are bad tippers, so I want to be sure they understand that the fault was theirs.

15% for basic service.

20% for good service.

25%+ for awesome service.

I also tip 10% for food to go from a regular restaurant, because the servers usually put the orders to go together.

One time I did the one penny tip. It was one of those nights where the server just wasn't even trying. I had to ask for silverware, water, a menu, etc. I left the penny and a note and never went back.

Another time, my first husband and I had dinner out at a little Italian restaurant; we had eaten there before and the food and service were excellent. This night, however, the waitress spent the entire evening on one party, sparing the other tables little more than a glance. The bussers did most of the serving. The party was about twelve people, and they may have been family, as she was very friendly with them, or maybe they were friends with the owner. If she had come over and apologized for giving us minimal attention, it would have been better, but she just got this look on her face whenever we signaled for anything. We slipped the busser a few dollars. We left three pennies with the check for the waitress. She picked up the change and started after us as we were leaving. My husband turned around, gave her a look, and she just turned around and walked away. The restaurant closed a couple of months later.
                  Last edited by wagegoth; 06-12-2009, 08:07 PM.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Risking life and limb for the sake of Customers Suck!, I went to... www.oprah.com.

Having returned with minimal injuries, I am please to report:

Generous tipping was encouraged - 15% +
                    - Be Generous
                    - Show your appreciation

And the one I Iiked best: Tipping is an investment.

I'll call it busted.

My "additional rules" for tipping:
                    Breakfast/lunch - Minimum tip for good service, $1.50, even if the tab is under $10.00.
                    Bar - Minimum $1.00/drink. If you are the designated driver and not ordering food, $.50/refill on the soft drink.

That is all for now. I got to go back and finish reading that article on "How to be a more supportive husband."
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

There is a discussion of the issue in Snopes' forums. Please note this discussion was in April-May 2006.

There is also a more recent (June 2009) discussion in Oprah's forums. Comments in this thread say Oprah never made that starement.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Blas is right... breakfast is usually a lot cheaper

plus... there's a lot of people who under-tip for that meal.

and mom was just recently telling me a story about going out for breakfast with her sister in law and the sil whispered to mom "you're tipping her too much!"

mom explained... the young waitress was very pregnant and would need the money to help care for her unborn baby. my aunt thought about it and relented, realizing it wasn't a bad thing at all

and mom also said... whenever she went there, that one waitress was always kind and polite.
                        Last edited by Broomjockey; 06-17-2009, 10:11 PM. Reason: your other opinion is Fratching bait.

Comment

order a coffee and toast and tip like you ate a nice breakfast...

Comment

I tip a minimum of $2-3, per person, for decent service no matter what was ordered.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                              Bar - Minimum $1.00/drink. If you are the designated driver and not ordering food, $.50/refill on the soft drink.
                              I agree, but it changes depending on what you're buying... minimum $1 for a cocktail, but if you're buying beer, just round up to the nearest dollar, as long as you're buying more than one.

Or just do what you should do... and open a tab, then at the end of the night tip based off the total tab

Oh, and remember, tip your bartenders well, your drink will be better
                              Last edited by Lingering Grin; 06-14-2009, 11:37 PM.
                              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Working...
                              X