This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with venison?

A buddy of mine hunts and gave us a crapton of venison. We've got a roast, some steaks, and lots of ground burger meat. I've eaten venison before, but I've never cooked it myself. As I recall, it's leaner than beef, so I wondered if that affects how to cook it. So those of you who eat a lot of game meat, what do you do with it? Any super delicious recipes I should try?
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

I've never cooked with venison, but I love the stuff. Some friends of mine go hunting every year and get a ton of venison and elk meat, and never eat commercial beef. I had elk straganoff at their house once...it was friggin' amazing. I don't have the recipe, sadly, but it was pretty much like beef straganoff except with elk meat instead of beef.

Comment

Make venison jerky or sausage like patties with some peppers, seasoning and have waffles with it! mmmmm!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

While I have never cooked venison, my understanding is you need to be careful with lean cuts of meat because they cook more quickly and it's easy to over-cook them.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

If you don't know what to do with it you can always ship some to me

I'd try making a stew/chili with it, myself.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Venison veggie soup is always my favorite.

Venison is leaner than most beef so you need to be careful not to overcook it, but I tend to use it in the recipes that call for beef.

And I'm another person you can send it too - I loooove venison jerky.

Comment

For the ground stuff, mix it about 50/50 with ground pork. That adds enough fat to keep it from getting overcooked.

Venison steaks over a low-heat BBQ are fantastic.

B
              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

If you have any cube-steak, venison makes the best country fried steak. We vastly prefer it over beef. I generally just use it as I would super lean beef. You can always mix some bacon drippings (we keep them in a jar in the fridge) or some finely chopped pork fat in with it if you find it too lean.
                Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Recipes with wine or beer in them tend to work REALLY well with wild meats. Also tomato sauces - the acid helps to soften some of the tougher fibers in there. Slow cooking is great.

Enjoy! I'm envious... hope my Dad gets a deer soon, I want venison now!

Comment

*chimes in with the send some to me chorus*

SO says deer meat chili is really good. He also says a roast is good too. His dad used to go deer hunting so he grew up on the stuff. He agreed on the sending us some lol.
                    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I've heard good things about venison stew.

Maybe substitute it for the beef in beef burgundy?
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Yes, it's a very lean meat. The roasts you can put into a crock pot with veggies, and cook it low and slow. The ground, you can make burgers, but as others have said, be careful not to over cook it. You can also use the ground venison in soups, chili, and spaghetti.
                        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

mmmm venison chili...... mmmmmm :drool:

*** hops on the send it to me bandwagon ***

I've heard that for wild game meat, soaking in in Milk about 30 - 90 mins before cooking it helps get rid of that "gamey" taste....

if you go here and put Venison in the search bar, it has numerous ideas for you.

also the suggestion of wine or beer in any recipe to help tenderize i fully support!
                          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                            I've never cooked with venison, but I love the stuff. Some friends of mine go hunting every year and get a ton of venison and elk meat, and never eat commercial beef. I had elk straganoff at their house once...it was friggin' amazing. I don't have the recipe, sadly, but it was pretty much like beef straganoff except with elk meat instead of beef.
                            There are lots of tried and tested recipes for elk and deer here: http://www.elk-hunting-tips.net/elk-recipes.html

Here's a venison stroganoff recipe: http://www.elk-hunting-tips.net/veni...ff-recipe.html

Comment

I've had venison, and I like it.

Overcooking it is easy to do, and will ruin it.

By the same token, you mustn't undercook wild venison (farmed venison is OK rare) because of the risk of parasites in the meat.

Cube steak into country fried steak is good. I'll have to try something with tomato sauce; sounds good
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X