Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I didn't realize that qualified as a pet . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't realize that qualified as a pet . . .

I was asked, at almost the last minute, if I could play tube for 2 songs at a Christmas program this Saturday. I got the music last Friday. I usually practice at my parents house but we're not really on speaking terms right at the moment, so I had to practice at home.

I just moved into an apartment. Yes, I know, not the ideal place to practice a tuba but I did make sure my neighbors, the ones I could recognize, at least, were all out and about at 2 in the afternoon.

I guess somebody was still there because I got a letter from the office saying one of my neighbors had heard an animal in my apartment and since I hadn't paid the pet deposit, I was going to have to add the animal to my lease or face a $400 fine and possible eviction.

Now, I realize I may occasionally sound like a dying elephant when I miss a note but an animal? Really?

I'll be taking my tuba case up to the office in the morning to find out what the pet deposit is for a large, shiny brass instrument.
    "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Just turn it around and around to make sure it doesn't have a cat in it. (My little brother loaded a vienna sausage in my baritone (mini-tuba) once.)
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've had apples and white board erasers thrown at it before, with the white board eraser getting stuck for almost 6 months. Fortunately, there were no cats in evidence. :-)
      "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Just turn it around and around to make sure it doesn't have a cat in it. (My little brother loaded a vienna sausage in my baritone (mini-tuba) once.)
        OK, this made me imagine you blowing a note on the horn and the sausage shooting out
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          OK, this made me imagine you blowing a note on the horn and the sausage shooting out
          same here.

Also isn't a mini-tuba known as a Euphonium?
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

The euphonium and baritone are very similar. Concert ones are shaped and look like a mini-tuba. Marching ones look a bit like oversized trumpets.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I'm not that much of a blowhard!

Am I?

What I noticed, was I had to give a very strong puff to get a note started after a pause. (kind of a buck to unseat the sausage, as Sheldon would say.)

Quoth SuperRTL View Post
              The euphonium and baritone are very similar.
              The bell on my personal horn pointed straight up, the school horns were droopier.

I also played a sousaphone... They won't let tuba/sousa players join the navy, you know... something about sinking ships.

The best part of playing a sousaphone? Three long notes and you're so hyperventilated you can fly.

Comment

So! Have you taken your tuba to the office and showed them your "pet"? How much is the deposit for a pet tuba anyways?
                And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

Quoth CalyCoRose View Post

So! Have you taken your tuba to the office and showed them your "pet"?
                  Don't just show them, demonstrate it.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  The bell on my personal horn pointed straight up,
                  That reminds me.

I remember a kids book from when I was the age to read such things (say about 1971) wherein someone lost a red ball... into the bell of a tuba. The musician had to blow until his face was red as the ball before it finally shot out. Anybody else remember this?

(A bit of googling reveals a book called "Stop That Ball". Even has this image on the front. Why a marching band is playing tuba rather than sousaphone is not stated, but the story requires the bell to face upward.)

Comment

lol, they apologized for the misunderstanding and asked to hear me play it. I'm planning on a military tribute this afternoon, at doble-forte

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      Why a marching band is playing tuba rather than sousaphone is not stated, but the story requires the bell to face upward.)
                      My High School marching band used regular tubas, not sousaphones.
                      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                        My High School marching band used regular tubas, not sousaphones.
                        So did my local concert band. I had to gripe with the lyre provided for our march cards when I marched-everyone else got stands attached to their instrument, us flautists had them wrapped around our arms >_<
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                          So did my local concert band. I had to gripe with the lyre provided for our march cards when I marched-everyone else got stands attached to their instrument, us flautists had them wrapped around our arms >_<
                          So bend your flaut. Or put your eyes on stalks like a snail.

Comment

We didn't have marching music stands. We had to memorize everything. I did a LOT of fake playing.
                            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Our band used sousaphones...I didn't even know they *weren't* tubas until later.
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X