Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a waitress and we rarely give refunds. If something is not to a customer's liking we offer to make something different for them.

Now for something like no vinegar for the french fries, it wouldn't even occur to me to give a full refund on the entire check. We also have ketchup and Ranch dressing, use one of those.

As for the first server not letting them know he/she couldn't find any vinegar, if the restaurant was busy and he had many other customers to take care of it could have easily just slipped his mind. I know I forget things occasionally when the restaurant is packed and we are running our butts off.

Comment

Wow, yeah, that is odd. Maybe they just felt really guilty or something. Seriously - no vinegar? That's FINE. I don't need a free meal, but I sure as heck won't turn one down!
      ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Wow, I was amazed reading down the thread just how quickly people jumped at the OP's comments. He was joking at the end, which I caught onto right away.

I do think he makes a good point. They weren't even really complaining, and yet the manager gave them a full refund, which seems excessive, and even a breeding ground for SC's. However, if Legal really was an SC, I doubt he would've waited until the manager got involved to make a scene, so they probably figured he'd actually be grateful and feel spoiled enough to come back.

Also, I think that they did deserve some form of compensation. I understand that mistakes happen, and sometimes people forget, but a customer shouldn't have to ask multiple times for a condiment that should have been available, only to wait until their food gets cold to finally find out that it's probably run out.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

It does feel weird, like you're getting something for nothing. One day I was stuck waiting at a register for five minutes or so while they were trying to do a return that wasn't going through. I wasn't in a hurry so I just waited patiently.

When I left the manager handed me a small bouquet of carnations (I didn't say a word, just walking out the door) and thanked me for being so patient.

It's as if you're getting rewarded for behaving like a human being.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            It's as if you're getting rewarded for behaving like a human being.
            It's kind of sad, isn't it? I try to always be polite and have decent manners, as I was brought up well, and I hate that more people aren't like that.

On the other hand, I do almost like it when I'm rewarded, even in some small way--just a verbal thank you is enough for me--and it makes me feel like what I'm doing is being noticed, as opposed to all the jerks who get things they don't deserve just for raising a ruckus.
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
            X