This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What in all hell is wrong here?

I don't know what it is. Firefox? My Ethernet connection? My hardware? Software?

For some days now, I've been having a real bastard of a time loading pages. Yahoo! Mail is particularly bad. (It also keeps telling me that I'm offline when I'm not, which I understand is common with that mail service.)

Right now, I'm unable to load my mail. Other pages are loading only in parts. Facebook loads just a few posts, then quits.

So what's wrong? Firefox has been updated; I checked.

There are a few things to check...

* Power cycle your modem/router.

* Open up a command (or sh) window, type "ping -t google.com" and let it run for a while. Keep an eye on it. If you wind up with a lot of dropped/delayed packets you've got a connection issue.

* Update your antivirus software. Maybe disable it for a little bit.

Comment

The computer keeps crashing, too. It just crashed a few minutes ago. It crashed yesterday. It crashes all the fucking time. Is this more of the Windows 10 curse?

Comment

I had a similar issue -- Youtube would load up with blank preview boxes, and no text whatsoever; some other sites would not load at all. The issues were seemingly at random -- ten minutes later and they'd be fine. Thing is, a) It only happened in Firefox, not in other browsers, and b) It happened whether my VPN was active or not. Only lasted for a couple days.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Start up Task Manager and see if anything is consuming more memory than it should be--if so, something crashed. End that process and see if it helps; restart it with Task Manager running and see if it spawns a million instances. If it does, something in that program went rogue and you might try uninstalling and reinstalling.

For some reason, Firefox on my mom's laptop was notorious for having 5 instances running at once; every so often an update will do that...
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My Yahoo! account keeps fucking up. I load the mail, and I get a completely blank screen. I refresh the page, and sometimes I see the mail, sometimes I don't. The same thing happened with other browsers, so it's not Firefox causing it. Yahoo! has been fucking up for some time now, I've noticed, but it's become worse the past couple of days.

As for the crashes, is it still Windows 10? Is the OS as bad as all that?

---------------

The fucker just crashed again - System Thread Exception Error. I followed the instructions on a website for clearing the error. One suggestion was that it's a device driver that needs to be updated. I opened Event Viewer and got this snip:

So - what do I do?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by EricKei; 08-12-2020, 03:06 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

I'd suggest running the usual (antivirus, spybot, and ADWCleaner); update them in normal mode and run a full scan in safe mode, if possible.

If need be, consider a clean/full reinstall of Windows.

-----------------

If anyone can translate security-speak, I found this:

https://www.hybrid-analysis.com/samp...ironmentId=100
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Only problem I have is when I use Outlook.com. It takes 5+ minutes to finish loading and locks up the entire browser until it finishes. If I try to delete more than 5 emails at a time, it will cause the page to reload and the emails are restored to the inbox. It will even restore them to the inbox if I try to empty more than 5 from trash.

Comment

EricKei, I did as you suggested and installed ADWCleaner. I ran it and quarantined 56 items, so that may be at least part of the cause. I can't do a clean reinstall of Windows, because this computer came with it - I don't have anything to install.

I tried downloading Spybot, but the download failed. I'll see if I can do it now, some hours later.

Thanks for your help!

Edited to add: I may have to post again, though I hope I don't. Yahoo! Mail is still fucked up, but I know that's not up to me or anyone else here to fix.
                  Last edited by Eireann; 08-13-2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

My pleasure Any time.

Glad to hear it helped! I've found that ADWC can find some of the nasty stuff that others can't. Note that it's not a substitute for good antivirus and antispyware programs, but something to supplement them

For SpyBot -- The site for the folks who make it is safer-networking.org. Make sure that's where you start. Once you have it, their "Immunization" feature is really good -- it blocks many known malicious sites within certain browsers.

For Win10: Here's Microsoft's page about it. You may have options. On my system, I was able to get the free upgrade (from Win7) that they offered a few years back (I don't think they ever actually killed that off).

Comment

SpyBot doesn't want to download, for reasons unknown to me. I'm trying again, for the umpteenth time.

My Yahoo! account works sometimes, but not often enough.

Facebook loads for a little while, then quits.

I did disable several apps that might be causing a problem, but this issue hasn't been resolved yet.

Comment

Spybot - The first "ad-free" link from my link above worked for me, tho I had to click the "If the download does not start..." thing to get it.

Definitely something going on.

A thought does occur to me: Do you hear any odd clicks while the system is on? If so, your hard drive is damaged and dying. Even if not, it could be worthwhile to run a disk check.

Shut down any programs/apps you have running (even from the Taskbar)

Open a command prompt (go to the start menu and type cmd -- that should bring up a menu. Right click the "command prompt" line in that menu and choose Run As Administrator

In the box that appears, type the following (or copy-paste):

chkdsk c:

This will check the drive for errors but not DO anything yet. If any "Bad Sectors" are found (literally physically damaged parts of the drive), the drive is permanently damaged and will need to be replaced when you can. Run the following to attempt to repair any bad sectors and recover data from them; this should also mark those sectors as "unusable." This should allow you to continue using the drive until you can replace it.

chkdsk c: /r

(Assuming you only have one hard drive, or if you have multiples and you boot from C: check other drives by substituting their drive letter for C) - Give it a while to run, especially with a 1TB or larger drive (go make a sandwich, maybe even watch some TV). As before, run in Safe Mode if at all possible to prevent other programs from interfering.

If the disk checker gets hung up and freezes, hit CTRL-C to force it to cancel.

If it asks you to run chkdsk on the next (re)boot, I suggest saying yes. This will force it to, well, do exactly what it suggests, running the check before booting into Windows to make sure nothing can interfere. In that case, shut down once you're ready/have nothing else to do on the system for awhile and let it reboot. You can force it to do this by running this command instead:

chkdsk c: /r /offlinescanandfix

Comment

The computer case is a few years old, but the hard drive is new. Or the SSD drive is new. I would know if I could access my email account and check the emails from the place where I bought it. This is a reputable place, by the way, and comes highly recommended.

The guy at the computer place did say that he thinks the computer has a problem with my external hard drive, and suggested moving certain things to the hard drive. Which I did, and I haven't had problems since then, until this Internet fiasco.

I just updated Windows 10 today, and restarted the computer, but I still can't access my regular email. I have trouble loading Facebook, too.

Comment

All I can help with is maybe the email -- If your Outlook mail is accessible via the web, Win10's Mail app (built in) should be able to access it.

Comment

I know there are some malware and viruses that will stop the download and install of antivirus programs. I wonder if that is part of what's going on here.

Comment

Working...
                              X