Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of "Road Closed" do you not understand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of "Road Closed" do you not understand?

So one of the main North-South roads in my area is under long-term construction. They began in early June, and based on their progress, should be done sometime in mid-late 2019 (can't do much once the snow starts falling). I say "main" because it's the street that has City Hall, police station, fire station, library, and high school on it. They're taking the road all the way down to the base, replacing storm drains and sewers, and rebuilding it, one lane at a time. Since it's only a two lane road, they have it restricted to one way southbound from the local highway entrance north to the end.

Last night, Mrs. Crossbow and I were headed to dinner, driving south on said street. We got to the underpass for the highway, and some idjit in a minivan calmly goes around the huge ROAD CLOSED signs to drive northbound in my lane. I hit the brakes and lay on the horn (Thank you, bridge, for amplifying my anemic little toot-toot. Really need to put a 100db airhorn in my car...) and she finally notices that she's about run head-on into me. She stops, backs up, and turns down the same side street I need, giving me nothing more than an "Oops! Sorry!" wave.

Sorry, you stupid asshat, but yes, those signs do apply to you. And you might have figured that out sooner if you looked up from your cellphone once in a while.

Hey, at least I was awake for the rest of the drive to dinner...
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Quoth Crossbow View Post
    ... at least I was awake for the rest of the drive to dinner...
    "The dog with eyes as big as platters" awake, am I right?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

"Thanks to you, I'm going to dinner with today's lunch in my pants."
      This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

It happens everywhere but I've watched folks get out of their cars to move barriers to flooded places just to get stuck in the flood waters and complain that they got stuck. Then they take offense when you call them dumb-asses for what they did.
        One of our previous governors tried and tried to get a state income tax passed and put in place. The local state house delegation followed their constituents and fought him on it (they're the same party) and he failed. To punished those constituents he ad the state DOT start major construction on every main road into and out of this area. It didn't take long for the secondary road to become over crowded and disrepaired costing the counties lots of money to repair those roads.
        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

I had to blush with embarrassment when I read the title because I did this once. I was living in a lakeside small town (in my days as a journalist) and was on my way to the office, which was JUST outside the edge of town. There were two ways to get to it and the quickest was on the road that turned into a highway just outside the town. It was winter and yes, there was snow in the air. Lots of it.

And yes, I cheerfully drove around the guys putting up the "Road Closed" sign, who stared at me as I went past and no doubt exchanged a few shrugs and rude comments.

About 50 feet further on, I realized WHY they were closing the road: I had apparently been transported to the interior of a pingpong ball. What is this "road" you speak of? What is this "visibility" you speak of?

I didn't have far to go but had to make a left turn to get to the office. All I could do was pray that nobody was coming in the oncoming lane, or we were going to have an unplanned and totally unpleasant meeting.

The other way to get to and from the office was by the use of a couple of roads that were further away from the lake, and thus not so badly affected by the snow. That was, of course, the way I went home.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

These are the same people that remove "Out of Order" signs from gas pumps, self-checkout machines, etc., and then yell, "Why isn't this thing working?!"
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That reminds me, years ago when we had a week long snowstorm, my manager was picking me up each morning at like 5:30 AM. One morning we went as usual down this street that had a relatively low grade hill. This wouldn't have mattered except it was a long hill with very few places to pull off the road, and also some curves. Thankfully we were going down the hill, so we were fine, but we passed many abandoned cars where people just spun and couldn't get any momentum. When we got to the bottom we had to go around road closed signs and we realized there HAD been road closed blockades on the top of the hill but they had been pushed off to the side and just the back sides were facing the street, so we didn't think anything of them.

ETA: The cars hadn't been towed because it was still snowing heavily and all the tow trucks were busy keeping the highway cleared. My manager's son slid his car into a ditch and it took two days to get towed.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
              X