X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Summary of Suckage

Quick one, since I'm tired and in a bad mood:

Helped at the bar again. Served 403 drinks tonight (it gets tracked), and received $11 in tips. Fuck. You. People. And they were messy as all hell too. Not outright rude, just cheap. Bastards.

Background: Social event at the hotel. Full of jerks.
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

WTF?! I tip $1 per drink I order at the bar. Cheap bastards!

Comment

I also tip $1 a drink.

Wow. Your bar crowd SUCKED tonight. Id be pissed too.

Comment

OK, now that I've calmed down a bit, here's some snapsnots from the night:

1. The guy who ordered 16 Margaritas all at one time, with salt on the rim of each glass, for his entire group. He watched me painstakingly make them all as fast as possible (which was damn fast IMO), paid, and left not a single cent in tips. He got several other drinks over the night, never dropped a single extra penny.

2. Had a lady get a few martinis; asked for them to be "dry and dirty" every time. After 4, complained to the manager that her martini was both dry and dirty. Left no tips for any drink.

3. The guy who received 7 drinks total throughout the night. This one actually tipped though. One whole dollar...for 7 drinks. Fucker.

4. The woman who sang "it's another tequila sunrise" while getting the titular drink. Every. Damn. Time. Seriously, it's not funny ever. No tip.

The list goes on and on and on...wharrgarbl.

Edit: Forgot to note that, except for #3 and one other guy, all the other tippers were $1 for 1 drink (like normal people). So I had 9 people tip normally, 2 tip like assholes, and HUNDREDS "forget" to do it. GRRRRR

Comment

What is a 'dry and dirty' martini?

MOD NOTE (Regulars, you've seen me or one of the other mods insert this into almost every tipping thread.)

In the States - and some other countries - service is not included in the price of the drink (or meal, or whatever). The customers are expected to tip - and the server is charged tax as if they have tipped a certain amount. If the server is not tipped enough to make minimum wage for the shift, the employer is supposed to make up the difference; but this rarely happens.

Please do not turn this into a discussion about whether Khiras should/should not have been tipped, or whether the tipping system described above is smart/stupid whatever. If you wish to discuss such things, take it to Fratching.

Most of Khiras' customers were probably people from the States; so they sucked for knowing Khiras was only getting paid if they tipped, and not doing so.
          Last edited by Seshat; 03-11-2013, 06:24 AM.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I believe that it is a dry martini with some olive juice in it (which clouds, or dirties, the drink). I believe dry indicates a higher concentration of gin to vermouth (in a traditional martini).

Of course, as I am a teetotaler, I may have got this wrong, since my entire knowledge of this is from M*A*S*H and movies/TV shows where such drinks are served.

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Yes, a "dry" martini generally means that the bartender uses less vermouth than they normally would (traditionally, a martini starts with about a teaspoon or so of vermouth, shaken to coat the ice, then poured out, before the gin is added). A "perfect" martini uses both dry and sweet vermouth, and a 'dirty' martini has olive juice added. So a "dry and dirty" martini is basically a glass of gin with olive juice in it.

Winston Churchill was said to whisper "vermouth" to his glass after pouring it full of gin, Luis Buñuel would hold his glass up to a bottle of vermouth and let a beam of sunlight pass through both, and Noel Coward thought the best martini was made by "filling a glass with gin and waving it in the direction of Italy." (source:Wikipedia Martini entry)
              Dealer hits... 21. Table loses.

This happens more often than most people want to believe.

Comment

Hehe more or less what they all said Personally, I can't stand martinis (they take some getting used to, admittedly), but I can make them like a champion. I should've just made her a normal martini with more vermouth the first time, then made it dry as hell the rest of the time so she would shut up

On another note...just seeing "MOD NOTE" on any post I make forces me to wonder how much trouble I'm in before I read the note Silly Seshat with your paranoia generator

Comment

.... and now that I have your attention and paranoia .... :P

Nah, seriously? Tipping threads used to get nasty, way back when. Until people actually started stating their assumptions. Like the assumption that servers got paid a proper wage (or didn't get paid a proper wage...).

So I figure it's better to just spend two minutes typing a note into the thread to prevent it going that way than to have to deal with a thread that's already gone that way.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

well i can attest to ordering a Vesper and disliking it cos ...it tasted like a Vesper. But I didn't complain cos it was my own fault. My BF warned me that I wouldn't like it but I went ahead and ordered it anyway.

That'll teach me!

Comment

That sucks. I know when I go to the bar on Fridays for karaoke I always tip 20% of my bill... sometimes more.

Then again, I mostly order food and I only drink soda... so I want to make sure the bartenders are covered since I'm not ordering alcohol.

Comment

*hands over a giant cookie*
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----
                        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                          That sucks. I know when I go to the bar on Fridays for karaoke I always tip 20% of my bill... sometimes more.

Then again, I mostly order food and I only drink soda... so I want to make sure the bartenders are covered since I'm not ordering alcohol.
                          That's what I often do too. I don't go out much but usually I toss in a buck or two tip when I get a soda. I like seeing them go from to when they realized they're being tipped for sodas.

Comment

I tend to tip no matter what I'm getting because I've been there and the tips could make a day that much better or worse. I'd like to make it better.
                            Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
                            Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
                            -Unknown Author

Comment

I don't want to steal your thunder, but if it makes you feel any better, one of the days leading up to me quitting the "truck top" family restaurant, was the overnight shift I was required to work.....and due to all the idiot white trash drunks and guys hitting on me that I wouldn't give in to.....I worked over 8 hours as a server and only made about $20 in tips.

As opposed to an evening after school, working 5-9 or 5-10, I'd make nearly $50 even on a slow night.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X