This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're ripping me off!

What is it with people who are stupid enough to lock themselves out late at night, and then bitch about the price for me to go out and let them back in?

I just got home from a job. SC called, told me she'd locked herself out and I quoted her the standard price of $180 for to come out and open up. This is night time pricing, not business hours.

She first up hummed and hawwed about it, then asked "What if you came out tomorrow morning instead?". That's right! She was prepared to spend the night outside, just to save some money. I imagine if she got sick while out there, I would've got the blame for it too. Thankfully, I was able to tell her that I am going away early in the morning, and would be unable to go out there then.

So she agrees to the price, and I head out there and open up. All good with that part at least.

Until it comes time to pay. I get the portable CC terminal started up, remind her of the price, and as she's handing her card over:

"You're ripping me off!"

Yeah lady, I'm the one who locked you out of your house, forced you to call me out to let you in, and forced you to agree to pay my charges. Hang on, I've done the worked, so yeah, I will force you to pay my charges now. But the rest is your own damn fault.

I know that it's not a cheap service, but nothing down here is. And the most important part is she agreed to the price on the phone, which gets recorded every time there's a call.
    Last edited by aulocksmith; 03-15-2013, 10:58 AM.
    Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Just curious, but what's the normal business hour price? If there's more than $50 difference, I'd probably go crash at a local motel for the night. I might also gripe about the price to friends and family, but I wouldn't accuse you to your face of ripping me off.

Too bad she didn't have any friends she could, oh, I don't know, leave a spare key with so she wouldn't have this problem.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

The normal price is for call out is $80, but at $180 for a night call out, we're still the cheapest in the area.
      Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
        The normal price is for call out is $80, but at $180 for a night call out, we're still the cheapest in the area.
        I never take it personally when someone tells me I'm a rip off because I also know that we have the cheapest cash rates in town too. So if they never call back, and most don't, I know they chose to pay even MORE instead of having to eat crow.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

to be honest i've waited before. although not all night.

in my apartment complex if we lock ourselves out during the day it's free to get back in. but after hours it costs $20.

I'm cheap so when I locked myself out while walking the dog I called my BF and sat outside and waited for about 45 minutes for him to get home from work. all cos i didn't wanna spend 20 bucks.

Comment

How do you open the door for them, just out of curiosity? Do you pick locks or have a master key?
            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

you know that's a good point. How do locksmiths usually do it?

I would assume either picking the lock or a bump key tailored for the type of lock. Or taking it apart as needed.

Comment

I've heard tones of stories on a popular forum where I learned how to pick licks .etc.

Ordered myself a set of picks and now keep it in the car to avoid these situations. But honestly locksmiths are underpaid in many situations. The shits not easy and at least from what I've paid, the tools aren't cheap.

Comment

Picking licks? Ewwww! What are you eating, Box Elder Bugs?
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

This is why on our last house we had a keypad. We could override it with the keys but not if you disabled it by entering the wrong code too many times (then you had to wait 20 minutes). The backdoor was a standard lock but we rarely used it.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      you know that's a good point. How do locksmiths usually do it?
                      I would assume either picking the lock or a bump key tailored for the type of lock. Or taking it apart as needed.
                      Lock picks or a pick gun (which makes it SOOOO much easier).

No need to take the lock apart at all, usually.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      I'm cheap so when I locked myself out while walking the dog I called my BF and sat outside and waited for about 45 minutes for him to get home from work. all cos i didn't wanna spend 20 bucks.
                      45 minute wait is really nothing if your BF was coming home anyway. I've had customers tell me they waited all night, and in one case, all weekend before calling.

Quoth Pimento View Post
                      The shits not easy and at least from what I've paid, the tools aren't cheap.
                      Damn right the tools aren't cheap. The machines just to cut keys start $1000, and can go up to about $40,000 for the more advanced models that do the really fancy keys. And these machines won't even cut normal safe keys, need another for that.

Quoth kpzra View Post
                      This is why on our last house we had a keypad. We could override it with the keys but not if you disabled it by entering the wrong code too many times (then you had to wait 20 minutes).
                      This is what I wish a lot of people would do. A standalone keypad lock or even a biometric lock, would save some of these people so much money in the long run. Those things are battery driven, have external battery contacts for a 9v battery, and have key override.

So unless you're completely braindead, there's no normal way for you to be locked out with one of those.

Comment

So unless you're completely braindead...
                        They're customers.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

So unless you're completely braindead, there's no normal way for you to be locked out with one of those.
                          Like my dad always said...make something idiot proof, and along comes a better idiot Trust me, if there's a way to totally fuck something up--even a very easy something--someone can (and will) find it.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Just like me and unbreakable. If it's labeled as unbreakable, I take it as a challenge. Sadly I rarely have to do anything to break something.

I've locked myself out of the house a few times... I have a window with a buggy catch that if you jiggle it just right, unlocks. But I also carry a spare in my diaper bag/purse. My hubby has a spare to the car in his wallet.

And never buy a house with a mail slot in the door unless you have a draw chain lock too or plan to replace the door. When I was kid, my parents or neighbors would lock themselves out and I could just reach in and unlock the door. So... never will I have a mail slot in the door.
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

LOL. I once locked myself out 10 years ago. Had to climb in through the window to get back in. Never again. You'd be surprised how many time people around where I work lock themselves out and beg me for help calling a locksmith. GTFO of here and find a payphone! Happens at least twice a week. Crying idiots :P.
                              Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                              The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                              X