This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing desktop

Here's a new one for me: Occasionally. my desktop won't show after start up.

I can access my whole computer thru the start menu, but I soon have to reboot because my PC acts a little weird. Just happened to me this morning. However, when I hit Start -> Turn off computer -> Restart, nothing happens, so I have to ctrl-alt-del and restart it that way.

I'm running win XP Home, v. 5.01.2600, SP2. As far as I know, none of my start up programs are conflicting with each other, but I can't be too sure.

Anyone have any idea whats going on? It's more of an annoyance at this point. But I want to head off any future problems if I can.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

i had a similar issue with my pc prior to upgrading the system and installing sp3, sadly i think the service pack fixed my issue. check your event log, there will be a system message if it failed to shutdown, there may be a fix for it in the message.
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

What exactly are you missing from your desktop? You have a start button it seems (or are you getting to it via the "windows" key?). Do you have a task-bar? Clock? Background? Desktop Icons?

Just wanting to get some more information before trying to figure it out, but from experience, I've had programs that keep explorer.exe (the main user interface, including the desktop) from starting up fully. It can also cause shutdown to fail, if it doesn't allow itself to end.

Eric the Grey
      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I tend to come across the opposite problem more often... where the desktop backgrounds & desktop icons are displayed but the taskbar and the start menu do not load or lock up. In such cases the culprit is explorer.exe malfunctioning. But the strange thing is of course is that the desktop backgrounds & desktop icons should ALSO be explorer.exe (well, unless you've changed your shell... but 95% of people don't touch that)... so AFAIK the same problem could result in backwards symptoms.

There are also instances where programs that start up will hang or crash and it prevents other programs (parts of windows) from operating properly.
        Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
          What exactly are you missing from your desktop? You have a start button it seems (or are you getting to it via the "windows" key?). Do you have a task-bar? Clock? Background? Desktop Icons?
          My task bar shows up, as well as my start button, but everything on there is frozen. Click click click, nothing. I have to access the shut down procedure using task manager. My background is also there, but no icons at all.

Also, I have not installed SP3 yet.

I've checked event logs, and nothing out of the ordinary.

I think its time for Ubuntu.
          Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

In the Task Manager did you see "Explorer.exe" as a process? If not you could try clicking 'New Task' and seeing what happens.
            If it is there have you tried making a cup of caffeineated goodness and seeing if it's there when you get back? It could just be that something is causing it to choke on startup and it just needs a bit of time to chew through it
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

My first suggestion would be that someone has hidden your desktop icons, but you say it only happens occasionally.

Note: Right-click on desktop, click Arrange Icons then check Hide desktop icons will cause none to appear... Nice, easy gag to play on someone...

I still say it's a runaway program. Look for anything that is taking up %100 cpu or memory.

Eric the Grey
              In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Eric is on the right track here. The task bar and start menu won't show up if Explorer isn't loading.

Also, try starting the system in safe mode and see if you have the same problem there. If everything runs fine, I'd start checking for viruses and other types of malware. Possibly even do a repair if you have the Windows CD.

CH
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Is this a work or home computer?

If it's a work computer, I'd say profile screwup. I've had times where a user is fine but Start Menu will not expand.

Home, just save your data and nuke it. Easier.

Cutenoob
                  In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                  She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Check your motherboard. You may have some blown or bulging capacitors.

If not, then it may be your OS.
                    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Working...
                    X