This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop problems.

Okay, I don't know much about computers other than surfing the net. I'll try to expalin everything that happened the best I can as all this happened over the course of several months.

It all started when the laptop began just shutting off for no apparent reason. It begins to do this more and more often, along with the power supply cord getting very very hot to the touch. I do a little checking around and figure out that the fans aren't kicking on anymore. To work around this problem, I begin raising the laptop off the desk with some cd cases and have a small desk fan blowing under the laptop.

Everything is doing much better. Laptop still shuts off from time to time, but not nearly as often. Then my girlfriend, in all her glory, spills about 2-3 teaspoons worth of Mountain Dew on the open and running laptop. So I panic and run over, shut down the laptop and turn it upside down, hoping that this will keep the soda from running down on important parts. Once it's drip dried somewhat, I dry the rest off with a towel.

I let it sit for about 24 hours and try it just so see if it will come on. Amazingly it does. Computer boots up, the windows loading screen comes up, even the fans come on. It shuts off, however, because it hadn't been charged in several days.

I wait a few more days to make sure it's completely dry, charge it and try again. The computer boots up, the fans come on and you can hear the computer running. Only now the screen will not come on at all.
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~ Robert Heinlein

The original problem was probably dust build-up, leading to the fans clogging and then the internal temperature rose until the safeties kicked in and shut it down. That alone is going to damage your system over time. Drying it off and such was a good step, but I'm willing to bet that some still got inside, and now something is probably shorting.

Your only real option is to take it in for servicing, and hope that it's just something lose and/or cleanable.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

One idea is to let it sit for another day.

See if you have any extra monitors around the area. Can you connect extra monitor to Laptop? Try doing that (blue connector on back of laptop).

Boot laptop, with monitor connected and LISTEN.

Any beeps?
      And fans?
      Hard drive spin?
      Light come on the monitor?

See if you can get it to boot.

Otherwise, send it back under warranty.

Cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Working...
      X