This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for soap in England

for an online friend in Gloucestershire. She would like to try natural soap, maybe something similar to the Dr. Bronner products we have here, which are liquid and bar castile soap, well, not true castile, since they are made with coconut oil and hemp oil. http://www.drbronner.com/
    I know I can find all-natural, vegan coconut bar soap in the grocery here, in with all the detergent bar soaps, but I am in the states, so I have no idea what's carried over there. We are looking to avoid detergents, animal ingredients, preservatives, etc. She just has no idea what's out there, as she's always used conventional stuff, and wants something she doesn't have to order online. Does anyone have suggestions for stuff sold in health food stores or the grocery? TIA, y'all.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

When one of my friends was living in Germany (her husband was stationed there) I would buy the items here and ship them there. It was easier then her trying to find the same, or similar, product. She always reimbursed me by having her Mom send me a PS card or a postal money order.

Comment

Do you think postage would be high from the US to the UK?

Comment

Generally it wasn't for me, but I would guess it would depend on the weight of the item. I mailed a necklace to Marm, and it didn't cost much, but it didn't weigh much either.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

You could try this company, Food Lady - I have tried their Cardamom and Orange soap, and it was lovely;

http://www.naturalsoap.co.uk/shop_bathsoaps.htm
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Thank you! I was hoping you'd see this thread. Do the shops carry it?

Comment

The firm have their own shop, and according to their site they supply other shops in various places - it doesn't say where, but if you e-mail them they could let you know if they supply any outlets near your friend?
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                for an online friend in Gloucestershire. She would like to try natural soap, maybe something similar to the Dr. Bronner products we have here, which are liquid and bar castile soap, well, not true castile, since they are made with coconut oil and hemp oil. http://www.drbronner.com/
                I know I can find all-natural, vegan coconut bar soap in the grocery here, in with all the detergent bar soaps, but I am in the states, so I have no idea what's carried over there. We are looking to avoid detergents, animal ingredients, preservatives, etc. She just has no idea what's out there, as she's always used conventional stuff, and wants something she doesn't have to order online. Does anyone have suggestions for stuff sold in health food stores or the grocery? TIA, y'all.
                hmm. Gloucestershire you say?

Perhaps your friend may want to check out Lush then?

Although they're online, they also have physical stores too. There's one in Cheltenham, which appears to be about 12-20 miles south of Gloucestershire (depending on where you are). So your friend can both browse to see what they have - or go to the store and sample stuff.

They list the ingredients - and specify which ones are vegan. And of course no animal testing etc (including their suppliers). The ones listed in green are from natural sources and the ones listed in black they say are "safe synthetics".

So I can't necessarily say there's no detergents, your friend may like what they have.

Back when I was in the Navy I rather liked their shampoo "cake" - solid bars of shampoo you use like a bar of soap. Easier to manage than a bottle sometimes, especially for storage.

Comment

If all else fails there is http://www.amazon.co.uk/, she can order the Dr Bronners stuff.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    hmm. Gloucestershire you say?

Perhaps your friend may want to check out Lush then?

Although they're online, they also have physical stores too. There's one in Cheltenham, which appears to be about 12-20 miles south of Gloucestershire (depending on where you are). So your friend can both browse to see what they have - or go to the store and sample stuff.

They list the ingredients - and specify which ones are vegan. And of course no animal testing etc (including their suppliers). The ones listed in green are from natural sources and the ones listed in black they say are "safe synthetics".
                    Lush is AWESOME! Seriously, I try not to go in their stores because I spend so much money...

Another good brand is Neal's Yard which is in London but does have outlets, so checking out where else they supply might be good. Their stuff is really nice - although I don't use it myself, two of my aunts swear by it.
                    I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Thanks, y'all. I am going over to the other board to see if she's been on.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        Do you think postage would be high from the US to the UK?
                        I used to do craft swaps all the time - use the smallest flat rate box and it isn't very expensive for a 70lb limit.

Comment

Working...
                        X