X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft question-sewing related

Hi folks,

So I am considering buying a pack of Tarot cards to study. I've been doing some research and have found a couple of decks that I feel comfortable with purchasing.

I've heard that while keeping them in the box is OK, I really want to treat them with respect and make a pouch for them, but I also want it to feel like ME. My questions therefore relate to:

1) Is it possible to use Aida cloth to create a drawstring pouch? If so, what count would be good to use? (I am thinking of cross-stitching a design onto there)
    2) would a lining be do-able and if so, what material would be good to use for a newbie? (my extent of sewing in recent years has been linen with a sewing machine and a couple of quick jobs involving blanket stitch and wool/felt, however I am also capable of doing backstitch...somewhat)
    3) If Aida cloth isn't feasible for whatever reasons, what would be a good material to use for the outside as a complete newbie? (I may end up appliquing a motif or tie-dying some material as a backup)

4) What would be a good pattern to use or a good guideline? so far I am thinking around 17 x 10 (allowing for 2cm seam allowance) as the decks I'm after are roughly 12cm x 8cm.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I... well to be honest I had to look up Aida cloth but now that I've seen it I recognize it. I can't imagine that being very soft for draw-string. at least not without being washed a lot.

If you want to cross-stitch a Tarot bag, have you considered using ... well I'm not sure what it's called, but that plastic cross-stitch stuff you pull off once you're done?

That way you can still cross-stitch a pattern on your draw-string bag, but you're not limited to the stiffness of aida.

Comment

For cross stitching there is also something called waste canvas. It allows for cross stitch patterns to be sewn on other fabric, and then the waste canvas is carefully removed.

Comment

Quilter's quarters would be plenty of fabric to make a pouch - one for lining and one for the outside. I think adding a lining would make it easier to make the drawstring casing.
        I'd crossstitch the design on aida and then stitch it to the "front" of the outer piece before I stitch everything together - that is how I do my sachets anyways.
        If you want I can hunt around crafters for a pattern.

ETA I've found waste canvas to be a PITA - but then, I may not be doing it right.

Comment

Quoth JPD View Post
          For cross stitching there is also something called waste canvas. It allows for cross stitch patterns to be sewn on other fabric, and then the waste canvas is carefully removed.
          yeah that's what it's called. thanks. that's the stuff i was thinking of.

i used it before to make a sweatshirt with an image on it.

Comment

Ah thanks guys. I did a bit of googling and there is a form of waste canvas that you soak in water once you've done your pattern. It then forms to whatever you're doing.

Comment

Some Craft (as in Wicca) books suggest that tarot cards should be kept wrapped in silk. The least expensive way to do this is to buy a small silk scarf or pocket square, if silk is too pricey at the fabric store (it might not be, I'm not sure).

I have a mini deck that I keep in a small deerskin pouch (Native American made). It doesn't seem to bother the cards
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My favorite deck is kept in a carved wooden curio box with a hinged lid and wrapped in a bit of cheap satin velvet. I'd had the box prior to getting the deck, and found out it fit as a happy accident.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Some Craft (as in Wicca) books suggest that tarot cards should be kept wrapped in silk. The least expensive way to do this is to buy a small silk scarf or pocket square, if silk is too pricey at the fabric store (it might not be, I'm not sure).

I have a mini deck that I keep in a small deerskin pouch (Native American made). It doesn't seem to bother the cards
                  I'll have to check whether they carry what I'm looking for.

The only thing that stopped me from getting a box was portability (and also because with boxes for card packs in general, they go missing quite frequently)

As far as silk goes, I'm thinking of using it as a cloth for when I do readings, so I'm considering that my pouch may end up being bigger than what I planned so I can fit the silk in.

Thanks for the advice folks, I shall eventually post pics!

Comment

So my path decided to veer off into another direction COMPLETELY.

Somehow, coupled with a shitty day, I feel like I've made the right decision with what I bought instead.
                    I found these paper-mache booksafes in the craft store. One quick trip to buy some paint and I am now in the process of fine-detailing these booksafes. One of these can hold a deck, plus instructions. While I painted them black, I am considering the idea of getting some silk squares or something to wrap the cards in. (I'm going to glue some ribbon to the box which will act as a "clasp" of sorts and prevent it from suddenly opening everywhere)
                    I'm actually going to decorate them according to a theme or the name of the deck.
                    Last edited by fireheart; 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      So my path decided to veer off into another direction COMPLETELY.

Somehow, coupled with a shitty day, I feel like I've made the right decision with what I bought instead.
                      I found these paper-mache booksafes in the craft store. One quick trip to buy some paint and I am now in the process of fine-detailing these booksafes. One of these can hold a deck, plus instructions. While I painted them black, I am considering the idea of getting some silk squares or something to wrap the cards in. (I'm going to glue some ribbon to the box which will act as a "clasp" of sorts and prevent it from suddenly opening everywhere)
                      I'm actually going to decorate them according to a theme or the name of the deck.
                      That actually sounds pretty cool. Would love to see pics!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Aida will work, just use something with a larger count number (18 or greater). That is much less stiff than 14 count or less. I've made little bags using that several times, they work great for making lavender sachets.

(I keep my Tarot cards in a wooden box).

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          That actually sounds pretty cool. Would love to see pics!
                          that does sound very nice indeed.

Comment

I also discovered something else: my backstitching is drunk

Comment

Working...
                            X