This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But I've got a voucher!"

A couple of weeks ago I filled up my car at a place that has a deal with some supermarkets... you know, you spend $30 at a particular supermarket and get a discount on your fuel...

Anyway, while I was lining up to pay, this happened.

Attendant: "Looks like you're a dollar short there."
    SC: "But I have a voucher."
    A: "But you're still a dollar short."
    SC: "But I have a voucher."
    A: "And without the voucher you'd be two dollars short."
    SC: "But I have a voucher!"
    A: "Still, you're a dollar short. Have you got any other money in your car?"
    SC: "BUT I HAVE A VOUCHER! Fine, I'll go look in my car." (stomps out, leaving the voucher and the money he'd brought in on the counter. As I was being served he came back in and threw a dollar coin at the attendant.)

But voucher means free right?!

Sigh. That's why I say any sort of discount is a bad idea. In the mind of an SC, discount=free.
    Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
      But voucher means free right?!

Sigh. That's why I say any sort of discount is a bad idea. In the mind of an SC, discount=free.
      yeah, at my work we take some vouchers. The two big supermarket chains (AKA "the duopoly") have both got deals with big petrol station chains for 4 cent per liter discount vouchers. So the smaller independently owned brand have teamed up with a bunch of independent stations (one of which I work at). People try to give me the duopoly's vouchers all the time.

Also SCs don't read all of the signs... we've got a sign on the door "SAVE 6 CENTS PER LITER WHEN YOU SPEND $10 OR MORE AT [not-KFC] NEXT DOOR". In the last 2 days, 3 SCs have spent $10 in my store and demanded their 6 cents discount. (But it's also useful for sending business to the not-KFC, last week somebody bought $15 of coffees there just to get the discounted fuel)

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
        (But it's also useful for sending business to the not-KFC, last week somebody bought $15 of coffees there just to get the discounted fuel)
        Wait.. doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?
        <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Well, it would if they sold competing products, but it sounds like one's a coffee shop and the other's a KFC, so no competition there.
          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
            Well, it would if they sold competing products, but it sounds like one's a coffee shop and the other's a KFC, so no competition there.
            No I meant spending $15 so you can get $.06 per gallon off of gas.

You'd have to buy... *does math*... 250 GALLONS of gas in order to make your $15 back.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
              No I meant spending $15 so you can get $.06 per gallon off of gas.

You'd have to buy... *does math*... 250 GALLONS of gas in order to make your $15 back.
              And the metric system claims another victim. Mate lives in Aussieland. Used litres. That makes it a touch over 66 gallons.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                I call it not-KFC because the main product is KFC-style chicken (although it tastes a lot better than KFC, but that's not saying very much). They also have an espresso machine.

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                And the metric system claims another victim. Mate lives in Aussieland. Used litres. That makes it a touch over 66 gallons.
                Which is way over the 30 liter maximum for the discount anyway! It's actually a pretty clever marketing ploy, get people to spend $10 so they can save up to $1.80. (Both stores have the same owner)

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                  Which is way over the 30 liter maximum for the discount anyway! It's actually a pretty clever marketing ploy, get people to spend $10 so they can save up to $1.80. (Both stores have the same owner)
                  *blinkblink* 30 litres? That's it? That's...kinda sad. Don't most fuel tanks hold way more than that anyway? And just $1.80 in savings. That's a heck of a good deal for the owners. Only way I'd do it is if I was getting something anyway. Then again, I'm not a driver.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

*blinkblink* 30 litres? That's it? That's...kinda sad. Don't most fuel tanks hold way more than that anyway? And just $1.80 in savings. That's a heck of a good deal for the owners. Only way I'd do it is if I was getting something anyway. Then again, I'm not a driver.
                    Yeah, a lot of dummies think it's a better deal than it is. If I was going to get some fast food anyway, it would be enough to make me go there instead of somewhere else with similar prices. (But I live in a different suburb, and the only fast food I eat is on Friday nights with my gaming group)

Comment

oops, didn't notice the LITER part... I read too fast

but still... 66 gallons is a LOT of gas, my tank only holds 13 lol.

Comment

Smiths in Utah has a similar deal, for every $30 you spend in the store you get 5cents off per gallon (max 15cents per gallon)... the only downside is the discount is only valid at smiths gas stations and their gas sucks ... otherwise that would be a great deal because I can easily spend $60 (10cents off) buying a weeks worth of groceries and supplies.
                        The system is very simple, scan your loyalty card when you check out, it tracks how much you spent then when you go to the gas station scan your card there the numbers on the pump blink off and blink on again at your discounted price (which SHOULD avoid idiots like the SC in the OP but you'd be amazed how often I see people there compaining why didn't it take the 10cents per gallon off).
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                          oops, didn't notice the LITER part... I read too fast

but still... 66 gallons is a LOT of gas, my tank only holds 13 lol.
                          Mine holds 20.
                          My Scooter holds 5, I think.
                          My bus holds 150.
                          The lawnmover takes 10.

Oddly enough, the gas-powered blender only holds 1. xD
                          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
                          X