This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $30 + $2.50 =/= $35.10

I'm at Wal-Mart the other day, minding my own business in the checkout. Go up to pay, greet cashier ( C ) back... poke YES she greeted me.. wait on bags.

C: Your total is $35.10, please.
    Me: Okie-dokie.. *hands her $30* I'm gonna pay the other part on my car--
    C: And here is $2.50 change back for you.

...huh?

Me: Um... I did just give you 30... right?
    C: Yes, you did.
    Me: So I still owe you $5.10... right?
    C: No, I gave you $2.50 in change back.
    Me: I'm really not trying to rude, ma'am.. are you sure you punched it in right? Thirty from $35.10 doesn't mean I get $2.50 back...
    C: YES, I punched it in right. YOU HAVE A NICE DAMN DAY.
    Me: But I still owe you money, here *tries to hand it back*
    C: *slaps my hand away* HAVE A GOOD DAY, GIRL.

Oh hell no.

So I go to the service desk, and ask the man there about it. Cashier does this all the time, service desk guy says. He said take the money n run.

So I did.

Okay?
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

She's going to end up being fired if her drawer is not balanced correctly. Yeah, they don't have cashier accountability no more but they do have register accountability which means if there's a short then they'll end up tracking it back to her. Believe me, they have ways of finding out if you screwed up.

Comment

There's a star employee for you. Bad at math and rude.

Having a till that consistently doesn't balance will get you fired. She's tying her own noose.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I wonder if that cashier used to work for the business customer we get who can't add up their deposits for the life of them. It's almost like they make up numbers and they are always off. I am so tempted to buy them a calculator as a gift one day. We have one we called the "liquor store" calculator. It's one of those calculators for people who can't see well because it has huge buttons and a huge display. The reason why it's called the liquor store calculator is because the head teller bought it as a joke when customers at her part time second job (alas, the liquor store) couldn't add for the life of them.
          Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

We have those calculators with the really large buttons and the really large display at my store.

It's maybe half the size of a laptop computer.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I hate Wal-Mart ... for nearly all of the customers and at least half of the employees. It's just a magnet for suckage.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Well isnt that lovely. A sudden and surprise sale....Too bad that person is going to be looking for a job sale soon. Wow they actually slapped your hand away? Physical contact is not nice boys and girls. Didnt she grow up on teh street with big bird or was it another street....

And yeah my mother had one of those calculators. Called teh Senior citizen calculator its got a display on it that I swear is like a 1" or more tall numbers on it.

Comment

That store must be really desperate not to have fired her already! And I'm not digging at the intelligence of all WM cashiers, after all, I used to be one. However, it seems as if they're 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' so to speak with their hiring choices.

My Mom checked out at my old store a while back, and her total was some odd $130, and she handed the cashier five twenties and said she would pay the rest with her debit. The cashier apparently keyed in 1.00 cash and told my Mom the rest of her total was $129 something Once Mom realized what had happened, she pointed out to the girl that she had made a mistake, and it took no less than five minutes to get the problem sorted out; a more seasoned cashier stepped up and told her to enter in $99.

I figured that one out in my second day of training -_-
                  The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    We have those calculators with the really large buttons and the really large display at my store.

It's maybe half the size of a laptop computer.
                    we have those at my store as well. but we also have large remotes that are the same size of the calculators(huge sale for christmas), but we also have a MP3 the same size. i think it is funny, because with how big the MP3 is, the display on it is about the same size as you would get ona regular MP3

Comment

While I am appalled by the cashier's actions, I'm surprised by the "take the money and run" advice of the service guy.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Maybe he's anxious to get rid of his generous co-worker
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth unholypet View Post
                          Cashier does this all the time, service desk guy says.

So I did.

Okay..she just shorted her drawer by seven dollars in one transaction. I want to see her drawer at the end of the night if she does this "all the time"
                          Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

I went to Staples back around Christmas to get a calculator, and I asked an employee where to find them. He showed me and then as he was walking back down the aisle he noticed the cardboard display of giant calculators, like the size of a standard clipboard. He held one up and said "Oh, we have these too!"
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yes, don't get me started on Walmart. Most of the employees are decent, but I once had to wait 20 minutes while they tried to figure out if the unopened, unused, seal-intact computer game I was returning (with a receipt) was supposed to have shrink wrapping on it.

The box that one of those flaps on the front for more marketing stuff about the game. If it was shrink wrapped that would be useless.

The scariest thing was the conversation between the Service Center and the Tech area. I honestly don't think they know what a computer game WAS.
                              Is it just me or does every office supply store smell like toner and burnt happiness?

Comment

Working...
                              X