This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $20 does not equal $6

I got out of work a little early tonight and wasn't going to stop for food but I decided I needed to eat at least TWO meals a day (and calling my lunch a meal would have been pushing it), so I pulled into McD's and ordered a 20-piece McNuggets. Before I got up to the ordering speaker I pulled out a $20.00 bill from my wallet...I'd taken out $40 from the ATM within the last week and I had no other change aside from a few nickels and pennies. I even looked at it closely and remember seeing Andrew Jackson's face...lol.

So the total comes to $5.something. I pull around and hand the cashier my $20 bill. A short time later he hands me some coins and a receipt and says thanks and please pull up to the next window. My heart sank because I had to say those words so many people on this board dread..."Um, I gave you a twenty." He blinked and said "uhhh...I don't think you did?" and I said yes, I definitely did. I looked at the receipt and it showed I'd given him $6.00 in cash. I would have had to have given him at least two bills to have done that, or a bill and a bunch of change, but I didn't. So he asked me to wait a moment and went off someplace. There was at least one car behind me already. He came back and said his manager would have to check into it so I could pull up and get my food and then just pull up farther and wait for her to come out. The whole time I was thinking...please, don't make me be an SC...I fully intend to be nice to everyone but I want my $14, thank you very much. I have to work almost 90 minutes and take lots of SC calls to make that much money

Anyway, I wait a bit and the cashier comes out to tell me his manager is still counting the till and it will just be a few more minutes. I pleasantly thank him and wait some more. Finally he comes back out and says I was right and he was sorry, and hands me the $14, as well as the (still wrong) receipt. I told him it was fine and thanked him, and said I hoped he wouldn't get in trouble over it - everybody makes mistakes. He said it wouldn't be a problem, so I hope not. I finally got out of there, feeling good, so I hope things went well between the manager and the cashier too. I really didn't know what I would do if they said they couldn't find any evidence I'd given them more than $6.00...I wouldn't have thrown a tantrum but I still would have felt obligated to make them check again.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

I wish all people could act like you did in this kind of situation! I've mistaken a $20 for a $10 before, likewise, customers have mistaken a $10 for a $20. You really can't know for sure which case it is until you count the drawer because, if you wind up $10 short, you're in deep doodoo
    Answers: $1
    Correct Answers: $2
    Answers that require thought: $5
    Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

Yeah, that's for sure. I was always a little bit afraid to count my till when I waitressed at Mom & Pop Pizza Place. I don't think I could even work a fast food drive through, I don't multitask as well as I pretend to so I perfectly understand how he could have gotten confused.
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Yeah I definetly multitask a lot. I'm good at it too Except when I'm hungry. Then I find myself in the middle of a sentence, lost....

Me: Whould you like anything to............*looks up. Looks down. Looks at pop machine*...drink...today?
        Answers: $1
        Correct Answers: $2
        Answers that require thought: $5
        Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

I doubt the kid would be in any trouble. As a manager there whenever I have to count the till to check a money problem I never get mad if the cashier was wrong. It happens. I've done it.
          What's really strange is that every time I have returned money to a customer that was shorted they have been surprisingly cool about it. I have never gotten yelled at by anyone for it.
          The only time I get yelled at is when I count the drawer and the customer was wrong and I have to explain to them that they aren't getting the money the think they are owed. Best one was a guy who said he gave us a $50 and we only gave him change for a $20... uhm no, we don't even accept 50s... and there defitinely weren't any in the drawer. Then he changed his story and tried to say he gave us two 20s stuck together. The basis for this reasoning? He had X amount of money in his wallet and now he only has Y. I don't care. If you don't even know what you gave the cashier then I'm gonna go with the drawer countdown report. See ya!

Sorry kinda got on a rant there.

Comment

I was lucky on that once, a lady gave me a 10$ bill for a purchase and left, then came back swearing up and down that she in fact gave me a 20$.

Didn't even need to count the till. How?

It was my ONLY 10$ in the till. I even took it out and waved it "See? This is the only 10$ in my till and YOU gave it to me."

Plus 10s are purple and 20's are green (CANADA! ). I'm numerically challenged but not Color blind.
            Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
              Plus 10s are purple and 20's are green (CANADA! ).
              Yes! Go us!

That's what I love about Canadian money. With all the different colours I know at a glance what bill I'm grabbing, instead of having to look to see who's on the front of the bill. Plus, it's so pretty!
              my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
              it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

y'all have purple 10s? i must tell a coworker! he loves purple...a little to much LOL

Comment

LOL. US bills are being changed over time, so some of them now have purple on them as well. The $20 I had looked like one of the newer ones but I'm not positive. All I know is it was definitely a $20

Comment

My thinking was, there are no $6 bills. So if you gave him only one bill, you could NOT have given him $6. $10, maybe, but not $6.
                    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Sunshine View Post
                      y'all have purple 10s? i must tell a coworker! he loves purple...a little to much LOL
                      5's are blue, 10's are purple, 20's are green, 50's are pinkish-red, and 100's are a light brown.

I love our silly Monopoly money.
                      my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                      it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Our money is ever so slowly turning into Monopoly money. It's very gradual, quite likely because so many people are resistant to the changes because it's been all green forever. I remember when the first new bills (10's) came out, because they looked like someone had dropped the money in Kool-Aid.

Our 5's are currently purplish, the 10's are orange, the 20's still largely green, and the 50's kind of reddish. I actually kind of like the new money, because it's easier to recognize each bill at a glance.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

This is what's really great about not keeping 20s in the drawer at my work. "I gave you a twenty" gets a "Well I don't have any 20s in my drawer so you must not have." We will either immediately drop a 20 which adds at least 5 seconds of remember time to getting it or we'll just pop it right in the drawer to drop after the customer leaves which would mean there would be a twenty sitting there looking up at you if they had.

We almost never have a problem of someone giving us a twenty and us giving the wrong change and if we do then the twenty is in the tens spot and we graciously accept they are correct.

It happens but VERY rarely. Plus we have a bill UV checker that makes us think about the security strips (50s = Yellow strips, 20s = Green, 10s = Blue I think and 100s = Pink)

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post

Anyway, I wait a bit and the cashier comes out to tell me his manager is still counting the till and it will just be a few more minutes. I pleasantly thank him and wait some more. Finally he comes back out and says I was right and he was sorry, and hands me the $14, as well as the (still wrong) receipt.
                            Mistakes happen, and you handled it well.

But does it make me an SC to think that it would have been a good gesture for them to bring you an apple turnover or free coupon or something with tieir apology, for you having to wait all that time for them to verify their mistake?

I don't approve of SC's who scream and yell and demand free stuff, but I do admit, the times a manager has offered me some small token "for my inconvenience", it really has improved my opinion of a place. A manager who rewards patience and politeness rather than screaming gets return customers of a better quality

Madness takes it's toll....
                            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                              But does it make me an SC to think that it would have been a good gesture for them to bring you an apple turnover or free coupon or something with tieir apology, for you having to wait all that time for them to verify their mistake?
                              Nah, I don't think that makes you an SC. It's just an opinion, after all. Now, if you insisted that they owed the OP compensation for the trouble....

I agree with you that more stores should reward the good customers rather than the bad, though. One of these days, I'm going to be stuck in a line behind an SC who gets management to cave and I'm just going to snap that the good customers get punished while the sucky ones get rewarded.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X