This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notlovinit View Post
    The only time I get yelled at is when I count the drawer and the customer was wrong and I have to explain to them that they aren't getting the money the think they are owed. Best one was a guy who said he gave us a $50 and we only gave him change for a $20... uhm no, we don't even accept 50s... and there defitinely weren't any in the drawer. Then he changed his story and tried to say he gave us two 20s stuck together. The basis for this reasoning? He had X amount of money in his wallet and now he only has Y. I don't care. If you don't even know what you gave the cashier then I'm gonna go with the drawer countdown report. See ya!

Sorry kinda got on a rant there.
    I think you pointed out the key difference. I've noticed that those who actually did get short changed are polite about it, and those who are trying to scam the place tend to get upset.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
      I think you pointed out the key difference. I've noticed that those who actually did get short changed are polite about it, and those who are trying to scam the place tend to get upset.
      Too true. Now that you mention it I've realized that EVERY single time a customer has been polite they were right about being short changed and EVERY single time a customer has been rude, they were wrong.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
        But does it make me an SC to think that it would have been a good gesture for them to bring you an apple turnover or free coupon or something with tieir apology, for you having to wait all that time for them to verify their mistake?
        Compensation would have been happily accepted (to a point, nothing big) but I didn't think it was necessary I don't think it makes you an SC to ask, though, as long as you are reasonable and nice about it.
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

The reason the scammers who like to pretend they gave you a higher bill than in reality scream and yell is that the cashier/management will be more likely to cave and just give them what they claim is right to get them out of their hair without checking.

Which, of course, encourages the behavior.

Comment

Well, different colors don't always help here. Our Euros come in gray/green (5s), red (10s), blue (20s), brown (50s) and the colors I rarely see (green for 100s, yellow for 200s, purple for 500s).

Still, I had a case last year or so where I paid with a 20 at a McDonalds, and the cashier gave me change on a 10. I (politely) informed him of his mistake, and he answered, "No, you gave me a red bill. A 10." I insisted that it had been a 20, and offered to take my food, sit in the restaurant, and eat there while they counted the till.

The cashier accepted, I enjoyed my meal, and 10-15 minutes later, he brought my missing 10 Euros over to me together with an apology and a complimentary drink for my troubles. Since I hadn't been overly troubled, that seemed more than enough compensation to me, so I accepted with a thank you.

The cashier handled this professionally, although his voice was kind of strained when we were discussing the type of bill I'd given him; my guess is he's had his share of scammers in the past.
            You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
              The cashier handled this professionally, although his voice was kind of strained when we were discussing the type of bill I'd given him; my guess is he's had his share of scammers in the past.
              Quite likely. That seems to be the number one cause of stressed/argumentative/strained cashiers in these situations.

And again, we come back to the big difference between the Honest Customer and the Sucky Scammer: the scammer screams and rants about it, but frequently bolts when mention of counting the till is made, while the honest customer is usually willing to wait patiently for the till count to verify their claim.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                The reason the scammers who like to pretend they gave you a higher bill than in reality scream and yell is that the cashier/management will be more likely to cave and just give them what they claim is right to get them out of their hair without checking.

Which, of course, encourages the behavior.

This, this, THIS!!

Spineless managers who constantly cave, and corporations who hand out gift cards to every undeserving whiner/scammer who comes down the pike...yeah, they've bred this bullshit.

And it's getting worse every day.

Meanwhile, people who genuinely get shortchanged (like the OP) sit and worry about their behavior, wondering if they've been an SC, and are inconvenienced. Meanwhile, the scammers and whiners scream and get their way quickly...and are given in to just to move them along.
                Last edited by Peppergirl; 06-29-2011, 09:51 PM.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                X